How Can I Upgrade This PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinjaponySR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 NinjaponySR
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey, I'm new to the forums here. I have been lurking for a little while now, but I had a question about my PC that I would like answered. Here are my specs:

Im Running on an Emachines E725 Laptop

Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.6 ghz

Windows 7 64-Bit

Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

4901 MB of RAM

I can run Portal + Portal 2 at roughly 15 - 30 FPS (on high settings), Team Fortress 2 at 7 - 20 FPS (On low - Medium Settings), Age of Chivalry at 9 - 27 FPS (Frame Rate constantly drops, and I hate it), Half Life 2 at a solid 24 FPS, and lastly Minecraft at roughly 17 FPS.

Is there any possible way I can upgrade my current chipset, or CPU? I have already uprgaded my RAM. I have tried to overclock my GPU, but I have integrated graphics so it is not possible. Is there really anyway I can upgrade it?

BTW: Im 13, so buying a new PC is mostly out of the question, unless I am recommended a cheap one. - Under $400 preferably.

TL;DR: How can I upgrade my chipset?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Answer = You can't.

And for $400, not worth building a PC. $650 is a good entry level budget.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You cant upgrade cpu/gpu's in laptops in general, sorry

NinjaponySR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NinjaponySR

Ok, well I happened to have stumbled across this video, what do you think about this setup for roughly $400?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ilwk8IWcQ

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

the build isn't terrible actually, although the cost does not include keyboard,mouse or operating system so even that build in the video will be more like $500

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ninjaponysr said:

Ok, well I happened to have stumbled across this video, what do you think about this setup for roughly $400?

Its ok'ish, but if you can save up even $500, you can get much better that lasts a lot longer.

Also, there's no monitor, KB/Mouse, speakers etc with that PC, have you considered that cost?

NinjaponySR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NinjaponySR

@GTR12 said:

@ninjaponysr said:

Its ok'ish, but if you can save up even $500, you can get much better that lasts a lot longer.

Also, there's no monitor, KB/Mouse, speakers etc with that PC, have you considered that cost?

I do actually have everything i need, because I had an old Pc.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
@04dcarraher said:

As for cpus you can, just depends on the socket type. gpus nope, unless its a alienware or a certain kind of lenvo (i think)

I scrapped a broken toshiba that was given to me and used the cpu from it. My laptop which is old (2008-2009) had a T3200 in it. I did some research for the socket types, the toshiba one had a T4400 in it, it had the same socket type and used around the same TDP. I put it in and it worked.

Taken with my vita

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Significantly increase your budget or stick to consoles. I would say anything under $800 and you may as well just buy a PS4.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Oddly though @04dcarraher the cpu pictured is exactly how I pulled it from the laptop, there was no thermal on it at all.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@kitty said:

@04dcarraher said:

As for cpus you can, just depends on the socket type. gpus nope, unless its a alienware or a certain kind of lenvo (i think)

I scrapped a broken toshiba that was given to me and used the cpu from it. My laptop which is old (2008-2009) had a T3200 in it. I did some research for the socket types, the toshiba one had a T4400 in it, it had the same socket type and used around the same TDP. I put it in and it worked.

Taken with my vita

Most laptop cpu's are soldered into the board. Only specific ones are not. There is no such thing as a standard form factor for laptops. But 9 times out of 10 cpu's are soldered.

NinjaponySR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NinjaponySR

The reason I want a PC is so that I can play games like Titanfall/Ghost/GTA V/CoD 4/Halo 1/TF2/HalfLife 2. Meaning, last gen, current gen and like 2 gens ago. Whereas I would be selling my PS3 + Games for a PC. This way I can play all the games I would like. All I really want in a setup gaming setup is to be able to run titan fall in 720p at anywhere from 30 - 60 fps.

Edit: also I have a T4400 as listen in the OP, are there any recommended CPU's I could buy for now?

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Upgrading the CPU isn't going to help with games. They're mainly handled by the GPU, which is not upgradeable in 99.9999% of laptops.

Also I would say stick with consoles. It doesn't sound like you have the budget to have a good experience on PC. You can buy an Xbox One for Titanfall and stay within budget.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@ninjaponysr said:

Yeah that is actually a decent pc but view that Cpu as a stepping stone ( since imo that pentium will hold quite back that r9 270x on cpu intensive games like battlefield ). But add another $50 and get an H97/Z97 motherboard so you can have the option to upgrade later ( the upcoming intel broadwell cpu's will be compatible with those chipsets ) and you can have the ease of mind that for the next 3-4 years you will be able to buy a better CPU ( and trust me with upcoming games like Witcher 3 or Star citizen that pentium simply wont cut it )