How Can I Prevent People Who Know The Router Password From Logging In?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

This is probably the most morally questionable question that I'm going to ask, but how can I stop family members and such from temporarily accessing the wireless router? I've logged onto the router via my computer by typing in the IP address and changing the password but they've caught onto that now and as they're usually right by the router downstairs they just plug in a LAN cable and figure out the new slightly altered password. They don't know I'm the cause however. They're fairly technologically impaired.

So all I'm asking is if anyone know an alternative way to prevent them from having access, only for a short time.

As gamers, I'm sure you know the feeling, that feeling that no non-gamer can understand. You've had a long RTS match online that's lasted over an hour. The final minutes are upon you and all of a sudden all your men start walking on the spot and suddenly teleport all around the map just because your sister decided it was time to download a movie for later and couldn't be bothered to wait for you to finish.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

This is probably the most morally questionable question that I'm going to ask, but how can I stop family members and such from temporarily accessing the wireless router? I've logged onto the router via my computer by typing in the IP address and changing the password but they've caught onto that now and as they're usually right by the router downstairs they just plug in a LAN cable and figure out the new slightly altered password. They don't know I'm the cause however. They're fairly technologically impaired.

So all I'm asking is if anyone know an alternative way to prevent them from having access, only for a short time.

As gamers, I'm sure you know the feeling, that feeling that no non-gamer can understand. You've had a long RTS match online that's lasted over an hour. The final minutes are upon you and all of a sudden all your men start walking on the spot and suddenly teleport all around the map just because your sister decided it was time to download a movie for later and couldn't be bothered to wait for you to finish.

sune_Gem
Just make a password that contains several characters that are not numbers or letters. And add a space or 2 if you can...
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
If your password is say: jellybean2 then make it: "j3LLyb34n@2", make the vowels into numbers and at least 2 of the letters capitalzed and add a symbol somewhere, in fact don't use @, use asterisk or a quote character instead they are far less likely to be guessed.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

superclocked

Just make a password that contains several characters that are not numbers or letters. And add a space or 2 if you can...

That's quite a good idea actually. I did, before, simply put a space at the end of the password so the difference would completely unnoticeable, however for what ever reason I was unable to save a password on my PC that had a space at the end. It just automatically deleted the space when I typed in the network password and I couldn't log on. My PSP however could save a space at the end of the network password and was able to log on.

I would rather something that's not password related though as they just keep manually plugging in the laptop via LAN cable and checking out the new password. Even if it has a strange symbol in it, they'd copy and paste it most likely.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Get the MAC addresses of their machines and add them to the block list on ACL, your router should have one. In fact if you have a good enough router you might be able to simply set up QoS that preserves say 80% of the bandwidth for your connection leaving everyone else with just enough to browse or trickle download things.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

On the routers interface is the password showing up?
You could trip them with a simple solution if they aren't paying attention
just change the default gateway from 192.168.1.1
to 192.168.3.1 and then they will end up typing 192.168.1.1 in their browser to get to the router's access page but it won't load since it's not the correct gateway.
If you put a password on the web management for the router, they might have a feeling someone did that and just reset the router.

Also you shouldn't be hogging the Internet. Pfsense 2.1 with codel support might catch your interest.

That or bandwidth limit per ip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usi195rK35I

you need pfsense obv for this

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Be a network master and BAN THEM! :P
waldo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waldo6
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts

Mac address filtering could work, put the mac address in the list and manage them to allow or deny internet access.

If you have a good router QoS can be used to control the bandwith of every device in the house. With some routers you can give access to certain PCs at certain times (ej. access between 8am to 3pm but deny internet access after that).

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

Just do MAC filtering for your router, and all you have to do is put all your devices' MAC address in the list you want to allow access too. To find your mac address for your pc just go to network settings and click change adapter settings, then right click your connection, then properties, details

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

sune_Gem

QoS bro, jesus.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

As everyone almost has stated, QoS, it does wonders for gaming.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sune_Gem

Thanks for all the replies. This QoS feature seems to be the best possible way of doing things. I checked my router settings and it does have something on QoS but I'm a little clueless here. Any help?

qos_by_sunegem-d6f89iu.jpg

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12

Thanks for all the replies. This QoS feature seems to be the best possible way of doing things. I checked my router settings and it does have something on QoS but I'm a little clueless here. Any help?

sune_Gem

Something like this,

TCN: Gaming

Priority: Maximum (not the default)

SIP: Your computer's IP (eg: 192.168.1.2)

SSM: Your computer's mask (probably 255.255.255.0)

UDP/TCP SPort: 0:65535

DIP: Your modem (or yoou could try 0.0.0.0 that may not work however)

DSM: Again your modem (same deal as above)

UDP/TCP DPort: 0:65535

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

GTR12

Something like this,

if you are going to do that

dip should be empty

same for dsm

should also make rules for the other computers and put them on a lower prioririty

qos in these things isn't very good(at all) and often lowers your total bandwidth.

in the future routers will have codel built in so you don't have to do anything and fix this problem

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Something like this,

JigglyWiggly_

if you are going to do that

dip should be empty

same for dsm

should also make rules for the other computers and put them on a lower prioririty

qos in these things isn't very good(at all) and often lowers your total bandwidth.

in the future routers will have codel built in so you don't have to do anything and fix this problem

Yeah I know for DIP and DSM, hopefully it can be left empty but I just listed that in case it had to have a value.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#17 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
If you don't want them on at all, use MAC address filtering. If you don't want them stealing your bandwidth, use QoS and a hard-to-crack password for the router's admin page.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon

If you don't want them on at all, use MAC address filtering. If you don't want them stealing your bandwidth, use QoS and a hard-to-crack password for the router's admin page.Gammit10

Just to make it clear. that only works against people that have no idea what they are doing.  MAC address filtering as a security measure against legit attackers is almost useless.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

GTR12

Something like this,

Thanks for all that. Sorry for the late reply. By highest priority do you mean the highest number on the first drop down? The last one on the list says "7 - WMM Voice Priority".

I'm also getting a "the subnet mask does not match the IP" message when I try to save it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Something like this,

Thanks for all that. Sorry for the late reply. By highest priority do you mean the highest number on the first drop down? The last one on the list says "7 - WMM Voice Priority".

I'm also getting a "the subnet mask does not match the IP" message when I try to save it.

255.255.255.0 for 192.168.1.2 (or w/e your computers ip should work)

you could try entering 192.168.1.0/24 in the subnet mask

what router do you have?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Something like this,

JigglyWiggly_

what router do you have?

Just t clarify the /24 means 255.255.255.0

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

Something like this,

JigglyWiggly_

what router do you have?

When I enter 192.168.X.X as the subnet it just says it's invalid.

My router is a DSL-2640R. Firmware Version: v1.10 Hardware Version: B1.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

what router do you have?

What is the IP address to your router and what is the address to your computer?

The first 3 numbers need to match if you're using 255.255.255.0 as your subnet.

such as 192.168.1.x

What this does is allow every device that has an IP address that starts with 192.168.1.x be able to communicate with each other by broadcasting ARP messages.

You could also set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 if you only want the first two numbers to determine your network such as 192.168.x.x. This will then require that you only set the first two numbers to match between your devices.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] 255.255.255.0 for 192.168.1.2 (or w/e your computers ip should work)

what router do you have?

sleepingzzz

such as 192.168.1.x

What this does is allow every device that has an IP address that starts with 192.168.1.x be able to communicate with each other by broadcasting ARP messages.

You could also set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 if you only want the first two numbers to determine your network such as 192.168.x.x. This will then require that you only set the first two numbers to match between your devices.

My current IP address is 192.168.1.3 (it changes almost every time I restart my PC however) and I type in 192.168.1.1 to get onto the router page. If that's what you mean. I've tried 255.255.0.0 and it still gives me the same error saying the Subnet Mask doesn't match the IP Address. Everything else is the same as I was told to type in from a previous post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 101374
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts
Honestly, i don't know what people are trying to tell you. Here is what I would do: 1. change the password of the router it self. ie sign into your router, and set a new password... 2. go to wireless settings, and change the wifi security to WPA and set a new password (this password should be different from the router's password). 3. in the router settings, you can choose to disable the rear LAN ports, disable those that you don't need, if you're not using any, disable all of them. 4. go to the router's activity log, there you'll find MAC address and names of every computer that logged into your router. For example, you'll find "My Android", "Brother's Macbook Air", "Sisters whatever", "random user names" etc. copy the MAC address of the devices that you dont want to access your internet... and search for some setting that states clearly about limiting internet access, and enter those MAC addresses there. Done.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

such as 192.168.1.x

My current IP address is 192.168.1.3 (it changes almost every time I restart my PC however) and I type in 192.168.1.1 to get onto the router page. If that's what you mean. I've tried 255.255.0.0 and it still gives me the same error saying the Subnet Mask doesn't match the IP Address. Everything else is the same as I was told to type in from a previous post.

Then what subnet did you put in for your Destination IP?

If you were putting in 0.0.0.0 for the DIP, then you will need to set the subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 for the DSM.

If that doesn't work try putting in the actual IP address and subnet mask for the destination.  Look at what the router's gateway IP address is set to (this will be the destination ip address).  This is different from your computer's gateway since that will be set to your router.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Mac filtering, simple and effective. All this QOS crap is so much hassle.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

what router do you have?

the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GummiRaccoon

Mac filtering, simple and effective. All this QOS crap is so much hassle.SPBoss

Mac filtering is one of the worst methods possible, it is incredibly easy to spoof a mac address.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GTR12

Honestly, i don't know what people are trying to tell you. Here is what I would do: 1. change the password of the router it self. ie sign into your router, and set a new password... 2. go to wireless settings, and change the wifi security to WPA and set a new password (this password should be different from the router's password). 3. in the router settings, you can choose to disable the rear LAN ports, disable those that you don't need, if you're not using any, disable all of them. 4. go to the router's activity log, there you'll find MAC address and names of every computer that logged into your router. For example, you'll find "My Android", "Brother's Macbook Air", "Sisters whatever", "random user names" etc. copy the MAC address of the devices that you dont want to access your internet... and search for some setting that states clearly about limiting internet access, and enter those MAC addresses there. Done. 101374

Honestly, your just an idiot.

Edit: @TC, check the manual here, it explains it slightly differently.

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dsl-2640r-wireless-g-adsl2plus-modem-router?revision=deu_revb1

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

such as 192.168.1.x

sleepingzzz

Then what subnet did you put in for your Destination IP?

If you were putting in 0.0.0.0 for the DIP, then you will need to set the subnet mask to 0.0.0.0 for the DSM.

If that doesn't work try putting in the actual IP address and subnet mask for the destination.  Look at what the router's gateway IP address is set to (this will be the destination ip address).  This is different from your computer's gateway since that will be set to your router.

Ok. So this is everything I've typed in. And the error I recieve.

qos_2_by_sunegem-d6fz7zb.jpg

I still get the same error no matter what I put in the DIP or DSM. I've also tried the Subnet Mask as 255.255.0.0 and I still get the error. Almost any other number it just says "Invalid Mask".

Thanks for all the help by the way. :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GTR12

Ok. So this is everything I've typed in. And the error I recieve.

qos_2_by_sunegem-d6fz7zb.jpg

I still get the same error no matter what I put in the DIP or DSM. I've also tried the Subnet Mask as 255.255.0.0 and I still get the error. Almost any other number it just says "Invalid Mask".

Thanks for all the help by the way. :)

sune_Gem

I'll just say this first as you have it wrong anyway,

The port numbers (yes 2 numbers) should be,

0:65535

That way it denotes a range and not 1 specific port.

As the DIP try this,

DSM try this,