How can I play my pc games on my tv wirelessly?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

Id like to connect my pc to my tv and play wirelessly some how. I don't want to have to constantly disconnect/reconnect hdmi cables, and id prefer not to buy a 50 ft cable to reach my tv. I was thinking one option would be to connect to my tv through a LAN (using a usb wifi stick??) but im not sure how I can go about doing such a thing. So, id like the most affordable/reasonable suggestions on how I can play my pc games from my couch wirelessly. Of course another problem will be the length of controller cords.....

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you have a spare pc or a laptop you could use steam home streaming

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I would also like to know to do this... preferably using only one Computer

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you want to control the PC, it has to be near the TV. No ifs and buts about it unless you want to deal with the latency of a wireless (video) signal.

That said, it's best to buy a good HDMI switcher.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Wireless HDMI streamers do exist but they're quite expensive and add input lag.

Might as well find an old PC or laptop,connect it to the TV and use Steam to stream your games

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

sounds like a job for Intel WiDi

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Just use a cable. Gaming is not made for streaming.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Damn, PC gaming is Awesome !

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nulld
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

@ShimmerMan said:

Just use a cable. Gaming is not made for streaming.

I've been gaming on my TV for nearly 10 years, and that's been my experience as well. I last updated my hardware setup about 2 years ago, and at that time my research led me to conclude that it's not worth the effort to wirelessly output your PC to a TV. Most wireless hardware will just introduce some amount of latency.

Now, if someone's figured out a setup to make it work, I'm all ears.

However, one thing to consider is what kind of interface device(s) you'll be using for gaming. Unless you've got a very unique desk setup of some kind in front of your TV, I imagine you'll want wireless input devices. If you're planning on using console-style controllers, most of those are pretty easy to set up for wireless gaming. But if you're planning on playing keyboard & mouse games, you'll need to be selective. Most wireless keyboards and mouse hardware isn't made for gaming, and often have "features" that make them less responsive during a gaming session. There's nothing worse than having your wireless mouse not register a movement because it's trying to save on bandwidth. There are wireless keyboards and mice that are explicitly made for gaming nowadays.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@nulld said:

But if you're planning on playing keyboard & mouse games, you'll need to be selective. Most wireless keyboards and mouse hardware isn't made for gaming, and often have "features" that make them less responsive during a gaming session. There's nothing worse than having your wireless mouse not register a movement because it's trying to save on bandwidth. There are wireless keyboards and mice that are explicitly made for gaming nowadays.

I think the main reason why a wireless mouse/keyboard will not register a movement (besides the batteries running low) is because of too long a range between the device and receiver. I solved that by using a USB extender cable instead of plugging the receiver at the back of the PC.

I only play singleplayer nowadays. My primary keyboard/mouse combo is a cheap MS Wireless 800 series. It's adequate enough for games like FC4.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@.o I don't recommend wireless video out.

Why not go with Dualshock, xbox controller, and cordless kb+m. Why do you have to reconnect your hdmi constantly anyway?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

If you don't want to run a long HDMI cable or move your main computer I recommend repurposing a cheap laptop or old desktop for use as a Steam stream box, also getting a long ethernet cable to network them together otherwise if you want to remain wireless you'll need to upgrade your network to Wireless AC as Wireless N can be a little flakey sometimes with its throughput.

I'll also reiterate what others have said that wireless display transmission won't work as well as you're hoping and be a pain in the butt for gaming.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

They sell wireless hdmi kits for just this purpose have never used one before so don't know how well they work

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+hdmi&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awireless+hdmi

There is also the wired route using a cat6 internet able cable to extend the hdmi connection using a much thinner more easily hideable cable then going with a really long ass hdmi cable would give you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hdmi+to+cat6&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahdmi+to+cat6

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

how would i do this? What is steam home streaming and where do I get the app? I would like for it to remain wireless so I don't want an ethernet cable running across the floor either.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@kraken2109 said:

how would i do this? What is steam home streaming and where do I get the app? I would like for it to remain wireless so I don't want an ethernet cable running across the floor either.

Look it up. You log into steam on both computers and the powerful one plays the game and streams it to the one connected to the TV over your network.

That said, you need a good router to do it wirelessly and I'd seriously recommend using wired.