How can I overclock my videocard and cpu??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TIMMY01978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TIMMY01978
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts
I have a P4 2.8 with a Asus p4p800 and im thinking about overclocking my video and cpu a little to get a little better performance.  Do you guys think its safe to overclock them both a little?? my video card is a x800 xt maybe its allready stock clocked high enough.  In my bios settings theres a option to use AI overclock, I can go by 10,20,30%, is that all I have to do?? I was under the impression I had to change jumpers?? also how do I overclock my video card? what do you think would be a safe % for my cpu to not have lockups?
BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
   Get SpeedFan or another thermal monitoring app and run Orthos cpu/ram stress test for a half hour and see how high your temperatures get. If it isn't exceeding 55-60C then try 10% and repeat up to 30% if possible. You can set it to manual OC but I wouldn't suggest it until you know what everything does. When you do the overclock might, want to bump up the voltage a bit on the cpu and ram, don't know if it will do this on the AI overclock. If its a P4 HT I used 1.575 vcore and 1.65v on the ram I think to get to 3.4ghz, but I had an aftermarket cooler. If its a Pentium D goodluck, those things get really toasty.
   For the video card get RivaTuner. It's under driver settings - > system settings and the first tab. Enable overclocking, reboot to make sure it gets the right default speeds then you can try overclocking. I'd try an initial boost of 25mhz core and 25mhz (Rivatuner displays it as half speed but its really 50mhz cause of ddr) on the memory. After that you can try pushing it up in 5-10 mhz increments and then hitting the test button. Keep in mind it will often pass the desktop test but you'll get artifacts in games so make sure to test it in a 3d app every so often to make sure you haven't gone too far. Also increase the GPU fan speed, its right next to the overclocking tab.
  Would also strongly suggest visiting Asus' forums or another place like Hard forums to see what peoples results/settings for that board are so you know what to expect. Your overclock is going to be unique to you though, every piece of hardware is different so there isn't really a way to tell you whats going to be stable or not within a normal range. Part of overclocking is finding out that line between stable or not and its different for everyone.