How can I increase my knowledge of computers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts

Hello,

I would like to increase my knowledge of computers in all things, particularly parts, like understanding which

mobo to put with which cpu and gpu, and being up to date in computer related things.

Is there a particular magazine that is easy to understand I can read monthly and is there a good website source so I can

increase my knowledge?

Thanks.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Ars Technica and Tom's Hardware are good sites. Otherwise, just hang around PC forums like this one and you'll pick it up eventually

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Like genius said, read Tom's Hardware, and hang out on forums like this. Although honestly, this probably isn't the best place to keep up on it. The hardware-specific forum is gone (actually, it's still here, but for some reason there's no link to it anywhere), and besides that, the population of this forum has fallen off a cliff in the last month or so.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Tom's Hardware to be honest is your best bet for a forum. My friend learned a lot from Newegg's youtube channel building his first computer. They do a lot of recorded full builds.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@gem98088 said:

Hello,

I would like to increase my knowledge of computers in all things, particularly parts, like understanding which

mobo to put with which cpu and gpu, and being up to date in computer related things.

Is there a particular magazine that is easy to understand I can read monthly and is there a good website source so I can

increase my knowledge?

Thanks.

We used to have a forum for that that had an active base of posters but gamespot killed it. maybe check out /g/ lolololol

DasBrain56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DasBrain56
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

There are also very informative videos on youtube. Linus Tech Tips is a good channel, along with Tek Syndicate. Once you understand the hardware/software aspect then you can dive into networking or even programming if you want to start a career in information technology.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

linus tech tips

a lot of what he says is hilariously wrong but i still watch it for the entertainment, and he knows computer stuff

whenever he talks about mice and monitors it feels like watching comedy though

example of comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrjG729SQw&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoFjDZkU088&t=1m

so much cancer i cannot handle

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@DasBrain56 said:

There are also very informative videos on youtube. Linus Tech Tips is a good channel, along with Tek Syndicate. Once you understand the hardware/software aspect then you can dive into networking or even programming if you want to start a career in information technology.

you don't need to know anything about general computer use/latest hardware to do networking/programming, they're unrelated

i mean even when you area doing classes for programming, you will hit MIPS assembly before ever touching x86, and even then you still don't need to know anything about the latest amd cpus--mainly because they're garbage

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Read, read, read, read, read, watch videos, read ,read, buy, use, read read, watch videos, read, buy more, read, read....rinse repeat

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

Like genius said, read Tom's Hardware, and hang out on forums like this. Although honestly, this probably isn't the best place to keep up on it. The hardware-specific forum is gone (actually, it's still here, but for some reason there's no link to it anywhere), and besides that, the population of this forum has fallen off a cliff in the last month or so.

Also here's a link to the Computer Hardware Discussion Board, keep it alive!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

All the above comments but also look at doing courses and study guides.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

This forum is good enough IMO

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

To learn what he wants to honestly you can find that sort of information online (at least back in the day when I built my first pc I did).

Also @JigglyWiggly_ I chuckled at the last line of your post.