Horrible horrible wifi problems.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I've got a Trendnet N600 wireless adaptor in my desktop PC. It has never worked correctly. I've been moving my computer to the other room to hard wire into the internet, but I'm sick of that. Basically, when using the wireless, my connection is so insanely unstable it's almost funny. If I'm able to get into a game of counterstrike, my ping will jump wildly, every second, between 40 and 2000+. The connection also drops completely, several times per minute, for milliseconds at a time. The software it came with has a little speed monitoring box on the desktop, and that shows the fluctuations, as well. Constantly climbing as high as 3-4M, then back down to almost nothing, then off completely, then back on to start the climb again.

I've installed the latest drivers, no help. I've reset the router, no help. I've completely removed the wireless adaptor and all of its software, and reinstalled it in a different PCI slot, no help. I've run the Windows network diagnostic (Windows 7, 64-bit) and, interestingly, it did claim to have found a problem, and fixed it. But nothing changed, so I ran it again and it, again, found the problem and claimed to have fixed it. After doing that two more times, I'm convinced that the diagnostic tool doesn't know shit. Either that or the problem is unfixing itself every time it gets fixed.

The wireless router is the one that Comcast leases to you with the service. Nobody else has any problems connecting to this router, with any devices.

Here's a link to the wireless card, in case that'll help.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=190_TEW-726EC

I've never heard of the brand, and have suspected since I've had it that it's just some off-brand piece of crap, and that's the whole problem. I wouldn't have bought it. It was a gift. So, is there anything else I can try before calling in some tech support guy to hang out in my house and empty my wallet? Is it possible that this is just a bunk adaptor? If so, I'm not opposed to buying another one, from a better brand, since I didn't pay anything for this one.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

Buy a Netgear Wireless Adapter and try that and see if it's better and stable. If so, then it was the adapter.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

I've got a Trendnet N600 wireless adaptor in my desktop PC. It has never worked correctly. I've been moving my computer to the other room to hard wire into the internet, but I'm sick of that. Basically, when using the wireless, my connection is so insanely unstable it's almost funny. If I'm able to get into a game of counterstrike, my ping will jump wildly, every second, between 40 and 2000+. The connection also drops completely, several times per minute, for milliseconds at a time. The software it came with has a little speed monitoring box on the desktop, and that shows the fluctuations, as well. Constantly climbing as high as 3-4M, then back down to almost nothing, then off completely, then back on to start the climb again.

I've installed the latest drivers, no help. I've reset the router, no help. I've completely removed the wireless adaptor and all of its software, and reinstalled it in a different PCI slot, no help. I've run the Windows network diagnostic (Windows 7, 64-bit) and, interestingly, it did claim to have found a problem, and fixed it. But nothing changed, so I ran it again and it, again, found the problem and claimed to have fixed it. After doing that two more times, I'm convinced that the diagnostic tool doesn't know shit. Either that or the problem is unfixing itself every time it gets fixed.

The wireless router is the one that Comcast leases to you with the service. Nobody else has any problems connecting to this router, with any devices.

I've never heard of the brand, and have suspected since I've had it that it's just some off-brand piece of crap, and that's the whole problem. I wouldn't have bought it. It was a gift. So, is there anything else I can try before calling in some tech support guy to hang out in my house and empty my wallet? Is it possible that this is just a bunk adaptor? If so, I'm not opposed to buying another one, from a better brand, since I didn't pay anything for this one.

I've got Netgear VEGN2610 got no problems what so ever with wireless.

I did had some problems with port forwarding if you're into hosting some game sessions - nothing more. (fixed it with port triggering)

EDIT: I just checked that adapter of yours, it costs 27$, I would go with other brands such as TP Link, Dlink or EDIMAX.

If you want the premium quality stuff it's Cisco and Linksys for 44$

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@PredatorRules:

You know that Linksys is owned by ****** right? Cisco don't own them.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

why would you need a tech support guy in your house. Wireless adapters are pretty cheap

What you need to do

1. Are you close enough to the router? Also look if there are not other connections on your wifi, if there are , change your password. Test again

2. Disable the wireless adapter on your motherboard (if you have one). Test again

3. Use the wireless adapter on your motherboard if you have one. Test again.

4. Have you tried the wireless adapter in another computer?

5. Use another wireless adapter but before you do that (are you sure you using the right pci-e slot), give us your specs.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules:

Really? hmm I heard once both companies work or at least worked together.

Cisco made their interface? no clue though

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Just buy like a 50 ft. ethernet cable and plug it into your router.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GTR12

@PredatorRules said:

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules:

Linksys was a subsidiary of Cisco, but in 2013, they sold it to ******, anyways to the TC, the N600 adapter from Trendnet sucks, just get a cheap AC one from ASUS, DLink, Netgear (but their routers have been crap lately)

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules:

Linksys was a subsidiary of Cisco, but in 2013, they sold it to ******, anyways to the TC, the N600 adapter from Trendnet sucks, just get a cheap AC one from ASUS, DLink, Netgear (but their routers have been crap lately)

I bought some kind of wireless $30 ****** adapter for my bro about a year ago and it's been great, not one problem so far.
Also, before I switched few years ago.. I had a Linksys router for about 5 years and it worked great all those years.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Sounds like you might want to consider a powerline adapter. Gives you wired internet anywhere in the house (where you have an available outlet). It's also dramatically faster and more responsive than using Wi-fi.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

@insane_metalist:

5yrs ago, Linksys was owned by Cisco, look at the UI on modern Linksys routers, compared to ******, they are similar.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Sounds like you might want to consider a powerline adapter. Gives you wired internet anywhere in the house (where you have an available outlet). It's also dramatically faster and more responsive than using Wi-fi.

I would advise against these. I bought some last year, had so many connection issues and the speed was only 10MBps.

I've since invested in wireless AC and wish I just did that in the first place. Sure, latency is a tiny bit higher, but I now have a 20MBps+ wireless connection and my connection no longer drops out several times a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Just drill a hole in the wall and use a wired connection.

If you want to ensure you don't have any connection issues wired is the only way to go.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The last time I had wildly fluctuating WiFi signal strength, it was due to interference. It might take some work tracking down the source.