This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

Hello Gamespot, this is CA13's friend.

I'm just wondering which game you find better in general -- Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends, and please tell me why! :D

He plays both for different reasons. HoN looks more appealing right now, but LoL also looks like lots of fun. Regardless, I want to get involved in one game, for the most part... not two of the same genre.

Many thanks!

#2 Posted by Kubatovic (53 posts) -
LoL, why? 1.Its free 2.It has unicue style and graphics 3.It has more heroes coming every 2 week 4.More players 5.Is WCG official 6.Better community(more wide community)
#3 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

LoL for casual play with friends who are bad at these types of games and HoN for general play. HoN has a lot of things LoL doesn't and just feels more fun to me. The only issue I have with the game is being forced into a really close zoom.

#4 Posted by NerubianWeaver (2046 posts) -
Both games are casual and imbalance as hell. I would recommend HoN though
#5 Posted by spittis (1875 posts) -

I prefer LoL, mainly because it's free. I have played both however and I just think the controls and the overall feeling in LoL is better for some reason.

#6 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
I would recommend LoL. While the LoL community is pretty awful by internet standards, the HoN community is one of the worst I've ever seen in any game ever. LoL is FUN, HoN has a rather large learning curve in comparison.
#7 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Both games are casual and imbalance as hell. I would recommend HoN thoughNerubianWeaver

The whole genre is casual bro. It doesn't take much work to micro 1 unit. The only real difficulty in the game is getting everyone to work as a team since pubs don't like to listen.

#8 Posted by Nohtnym (1552 posts) -

DotA 2. But waiting for it to be released, play LoL, because its free.

#9 Posted by Decrate (1731 posts) -

LoL

not because its free but because its more varied the gameplay and much deeper, not only tactically but also between characters and their skills

a lot of HoNs skills are based off some old DotA champs which were restricted by WC3 engine so its pretty limited in what it can do, of course this is only for a few heroes

LoL uses very precise indicators of where skills are going to hit and the area, whereas HoN just uses too many particle effects and can be hard to see where exactly a skills AoE starts and ends

also LoL uses champs with many kinds of energy resources not just mana which is a very dated feature. some use rage, some use energy, there also heat, some use just cooldowns, and others uses the basic mana type.

overall i think after playing HoN since the beta and for a year and then switching to LoL, i think HoN is very behind, all it has going for it are the amazing graphics

#10 Posted by edinsftw (4225 posts) -

I like both, but i will reccomend LoL only for the community, that is the only advantage it has...well and its free.

I have 2000+ games in each of them, so here is some advantages to each.

HoN:

Great Netcode(less lag, and when you have lag it isnt as noticeable)

Doesnt go down for 8 hours - 3 days on updates

Better balanced for high rank play

Clan System

Community has less new players to the genre

Everything is unlocked so you can play every character day one

LoL:

Better/Nicer community

Characters can be played in multiple ways(so can HoN, but more so in LoL)

Free

New player friendly

Updates more often, with new champions(Although its about time for a new map..)

#11 Posted by Shadowhawk000 (3453 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kubatovic"]LoL, why? 1.Its free -Which means its full of terrible players and complete failures 2.It has unicue style and graphics - Horrible UI and texturing almost as bads as Borderlands. 3.It has more heroes coming every 2 week - So does Hon 4.More players -Obviously as its Free 5.Is WCG official - It's competative scene is a joke, it does not even have replays or a pause button! 6.Better community(more wide community)

- Larger community yes, better? Hardly.. You might as well just play Dota and then wait until Dota 2 is released, Hopefully that will cost $20+ so its not full of complete failures.
#12 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kubatovic"]LoL, why? 1.Its free -Which means its full of terrible players and complete failures 2.It has unicue style and graphics - Horrible UI and texturing almost as bads as Borderlands. 3.It has more heroes coming every 2 week - So does Hon 4.More players -Obviously as its Free 5.Is WCG official - It's competative scene is a joke, it does not even have replays or a pause button! 6.Better community(more wide community)Shadowhawk000
- Larger community yes, better? Hardly.. You might as well just play Dota and then wait until Dota 2 is released, Hopefully that will cost $20+ so its not full of complete failures.

Yes it's better, think of HoN as system wars and LoL as the PC forums (lots of hate, but compared to what goes on on SW...).

LoL, I haven't touched HoN since the first reset an year ago iirc, I only start it from time to time to install patches, but I'm not that into lol either, bout 5-7 matches a month, it's fun, diverse, I like the art style, fun with friends, but I absolutely hate that an average match goes on for 40-50 minutes.

#13 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -
I never played HoN so i can't give an honest opinon but, i was pleasantly surprised with LoL i played it for awhile and enjoyed it can't wait for Dota 2 though
#14 Posted by PredatorRules (7216 posts) -
LoL - easy best free tactical RPG/RTS like game
#15 Posted by Kubatovic (53 posts) -
FFS why are we even arguing, LoL is free go try it! If u like it good play it if u dont play HoN. End of story :P
#16 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

Are there any new maps for this game? It's ben a couple of months since i played it, and there are only two damn maps.

#17 Posted by TruedUp (691 posts) -
I like both games. I think HoN is harder and requires more APM-focused skill while LoL is somewhat easier to actually play but requires more strategy behind your builds/reasoning for buffs.
#18 Posted by Kubatovic (53 posts) -

Are there any new maps for this game? It's ben a couple of months since i played it, and there are only two damn maps.

Lucianu
nope
#19 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

DotA. LoL is just a casualised, noobified DotA. I hate it. No skill involved. No denying, you don;t lose money on death...you can play like a complete fool, with 0 game sense and not calling misses etc etc and still suceed. It's ridiculous and nooby. HoN I only played in the beta, but it was DotA with different names and moderls for chars and items. So, HoN it is. Untill DotA 2 comes out.

#20 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Kubatovic

nope

Damn.. thanks.

#21 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

The whole genre is casual bro. It doesn't take much work to micro 1 unit.Whiteblade999

Exactly, the genre is quite simple.. which is why it's so popular. The lack of any deep gameplay mechanics is precisely why I can't bring myself to enjoy these types of games for any length of time, though.