skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hi. there are quite a lot of people who say it don't matter to have this disabled in bios but a few people say enable it. I disabled mine as my PC was doing my head in with stuttering and noticed as soon as I started my PC that it was much faster disabled. The 4 ball logo on windows 7 was a lot shorter and only on for less then half a 2nd. Games run much smoother with no stuttering as be for. But what do you think on here should I disable or enable it to be on the safe side. My instruction manual don't say much about High Precision Event Timer just says you can enable or disable it default enabled. But wanted to get as much out of this computer as possible be for getting a new one.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I would like some feedback on this too.

I have Windows 8.1

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Some games will be fine with it enabled all by itself. But others will have severe stuttering and pauses. Disabling it defaults Windows to use it's software timers.

I find the best middle ground is Enabling Event Timer and Windows Timer (TSC). It uses the 2 faster timers 1 HW and 1 SW to keep each other in sync.

Platformclocks

TSC+LAPICs (useplatformclock false) With Event Timer Off.

LAPICs (useplatformclock true) With Event Timer Off.

TSC+HPET (useplatformclock false) With Event Timer On. <------------ I Use this one.

HPET (useplatformclock true) With Event Timer On.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I have High precision event timer disabled in windows. I never could find where to disable it in my bios.

Anyone know if its possible to disable in the bios with Asus Z87-DELUXE motherboard? I could never find it anywhere in there.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

On my z77 its under power management. Have you notice any errors or heat or anything disabled? What is D,P,C as every says they have low D,P,C but dont explain what it is. Thanks.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@skipper847:

DPC is latency from drivers. If 1 driver is messed up it can cause issues with others. Some times event timer can cause DPC latency issues and you can use the DPC latency tool to check how it effects you. There is minimal effect in DPC when turning Event timer on or off from what I tested.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Depends on the game and application. I personally prefer it on.

In Quake Live, disabling it increases input by a noticebly amount. This was confirmed by someone with a camera as well. I definitely felt a big difference since I used to have it off.

Some games like BF3 also handle better with it on.

I heard CSGO handles better with it off. (I have not tested this). One thing that is interesting(and somewhat unrelated) in CSGO, is that on Windows 7 if you cap your frame rate you get a constant framerate. I swapped to Windows 8 on a clean install and I could never get a flat framerate when capped. I looked this up and apparently Windows 8's kernel timer does not play nice with CSGO. I went back to Windows 7 and I got my framerate completely flat again. One more reason to stick to Win7.

Some games will change your max framerate limit depending if you have it on or off. In loadout your framerate cap is lower if you have it disabled because of the sleep interrupts. Quake live is the same way, but you can disable the thread sleep to avoid that issue.

Overall, I'd leave it on.