High end Mac Pro vs Pc. Which is the better buy for me? Recommend equivalent PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxHoosierdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XxHoosierdaddy
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

I am looking at the Mac Pro. Here are the specs

- 2.8ghz Qual core Intel Nehalem cpu

-3GB (three 1gb) memory

-1 TB HDD

-ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

Price: $2,499.00

I don't know if this is a good deal or not, please help me. I need advice. Mac or pc? Can one of you show me an equivalent PC for the money? thank you.

Chrnocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chrnocide
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
you can build a BETTER PC in comparison to that Mac for about $1,000...
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Few questions: 1) Are you willing to learn how to build a computer or do you know anyone who knows how? Custom built is the cheapest option. 2) What are you mainly planning on using this computer for? Games, video editing, photoshop, etc? 3) Does that total cost include the price of a monitor? Do you need a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc? Overall though I'm confident that you can get a much more powerful PC for the money, the real question is how much will you be able to save depending on how you answer the above.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

PC is way cheaper for the same parts.Yes it's faster and yes it comes with 1 more GB of ram. Also what is this PC being used for?

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
The only thing high end about that mac is the price...
freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts

PC is way cheaper for the same parts.Yes it's faster and yes it comes with 1 more GB of ram. Also what is this PC being used for?

zaku101
If only that iBUYPOWER pc came with a motherboard that had 2 PCIe x16 slots. Then it would be a great build with a 2nd 5770. Especially for that price and only needing to buy the 2nd 5770 and a monitor.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

If you dont game then OSX is a superior OS compared to Windows, the thing is you dont need anything close to that PC, you could just get the cheapest model and that will be plenty of power.

What are you going to be using this for? Also I am guessing the Mac your looking at comes with a monitor for that price :)

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Also if you haven't ever used a Mac don't buy into the hype. I had never used once and had to steal my parents macbook for some courses I'm taking through work. I hate the damn thing, everyone says it's soooo easy, to me it's a complete pain in the ass.

If you have windows and like windows save yourself half your money and build a pc. If you aren't interested in building a PC at all go to ncix.com and they will custom build you a PC for considerably less than that Mac.

And a tip for ya, to save yourself some money look at the I7's that run on the 1156 socket motherboard as opposed to the 1366. You will save quite a lot of money on the motherboard and memory all the while if you buy an i7 860/870 it will run just as fast if not faster than the i7 920/930

wanneir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wanneir
Member since 2005 • 177 Posts

-3GB (three 1gb) memory

-1 TB HDD

I don't know if this is a good deal or not, please help me. I need advice. Mac or pc? Can one of you show me an equivalent PC for the money? thank you.

XxHoosierdaddy

PC ffs...

MAC is 3x cheaper and they use mobile GPU .. same as in laptops which blows.

pc man screw apple

sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

[QUOTE="XxHoosierdaddy"]

-3GB (three 1gb) memory

-1 TB HDD

wanneir

PC ffs...

MAC is 3x cheaper and they use mobile GPU .. same as in laptops which blows.

pc man screw apple

You mean expensive?

Also this is the MAC pro which is the only true desktop MAC that doesn't use laptop components.

Filipino_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Filipino_Rambo
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

Whatever a Mac can do, a PC can and vice versa, except a Mac can't play games.

Pay $1000 dollars for a better PC or pay an extra $1500 and be a cool hipster Mac user.

Your choice.

acsam12304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 acsam12304
Member since 2005 • 3387 Posts

you can get a very good PC for just $1000 and if your lucky on new eggs sales you can even scre on a PC that is less then $1000. i just hope you dont want a MAC just cause it "doesn't get viruses"

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
What's the logic behind installing only 3gigs of memory in a $2,499.00 computer? You can't even run two of the three modules in dual channel...
jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
What's the logic behind installing only 3gigs of memory in a $2,499.00 computer? You can't even run two of the three modules in dual channel...PernicioEnigma
It is using a Nehalem cpu which means it is an i7 9xx cpu. They are capable of running DDR3 in triple channel and dual channel.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captain__Tripps
What's the logic behind installing only 3gigs of memory in a $2,499.00 computer? You can't even run two of the three modules in dual channel...PernicioEnigma
I think thats an i7 CPU so its running triple channel.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]What's the logic behind installing only 3gigs of memory in a $2,499.00 computer? You can't even run two of the three modules in dual channel...jtcraft
It is using a Nehalem cpu which means it is an i7 9xx cpu. They are capable of running DDR3 in triple channel and dual channel.

Oh I see, didn't realise it was triple channel.
jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jtcraft

The Mac is still overpriced. Here is a build with a slightly faster Intel i7 Nehalem cpu, 6GB of RAM and a GTX 470 that I put together on newegg.com that cost a $1000 less than that MacPro. And it will out perform that Mac Pro.

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jtcraft
For less than $2500 you can take out the i7 950 I listed above and go with an i7 980X Extreme Edition cpu (it cost $1000 alone). It is a six core cpu and the top of the line cpu right now.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Filipino_Rambo

This my friend is untrue. Mac's can play games. Not as many, but they can...

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="Filipino_Rambo"]

Urworstnhtmare

Not as many and not as well
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts

If you dont game then OSX is a superior OS compared to Windows, the thing is you dont need anything close to that PC, you could just get the cheapest model and that will be plenty of power.

What are you going to be using this for? Also I am guessing the Mac your looking at comes with a monitor for that price :)

Daytona_178
OS may be superior (definitely arguable given its stupidly closed source architecture and limited modularity) ... software availability is not.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts

[QUOTE="Filipino_Rambo"]

Urworstnhtmare

On the magnitude of 3.5x10^-30 as many games ... lets not forget a majority of those being absolutely GARBAGE indy games with a few good indy ones thrown in and a hand full of recent AA+ titles.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="Filipino_Rambo"]

Iantheone

Thanks for reiterating my point for those who need to read things twice... :roll: But Not as well?

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Captain__Tripps

[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Urworstnhtmare

Thanks for reiterating my point for those who need to read things twice... :roll: But Not as well?

The native OSX drivers for the GPUs are not as good as on windows, from what i've heard. Or maybe its been fixed, dont really know or care really. Lol.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="Iantheone"] Not as many and not as wellCaptain__Tripps

The native OSX drivers for the GPUs are not as good as on windows, from what i've heard. Or maybe its been fixed, dont really know or care really. Lol.

I don't see how thats the fault of OSX... More the fault of the GPU manufacturer for not updating the drivers... Having experience with both systems, OSX doesn't seem any worse at playing games...

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Captain__Tripps

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"][QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Urworstnhtmare

I don't see how thats the fault of OSX... More the fault of the GPU manufacturer for not updating the drivers... Having experience with both systems, OSX doesn't seem any worse at playing games...

I didn't say it was OSX fault, I just said games may not perform as well :

http://store.steampowered.com/news/4211/

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11779 Posts

The only real reason to get a Mac anymore is for video editing..

Even music (including making and mixing it) pc has easily caught up to Mac.

For gaming Mac is not the wisest choice..

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
It is going to come down to choice on which operating system you feel more comfortable with. I have both, I use both at work and I repair and support both and they both have their pro's and con's and it comes down to you what you want to do with YOUR money and how you want to spend it.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
the same exact specs if you build it yourself would come to about $800-850 Even if you buy a similar prebuild from dell, HP or whatever it shouldnt cost you mores than $1000-1400
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]the same exact specs if you build it yourself would come to about $800-850 Even if you buy a similar prebuild from dell, HP or whatever it shouldnt cost you mores than $1000-1400

I just checked on HP's site - close to the exact same specs (Xeon W3530, 3x1GB RAM, 1TB drive) was $2,003 with Win7 x64. It did have a workstation graphics card instead of a 5770, though - I didn't see an option to knock it down to desktop mobos. Look at the Z400 series workstations, they start at around $1000 for the base models with 1GB RAM and a 160GB HD. Keep in mind Apple's thing - they don't overcharge you much for the parts, they just lock you into buying the most expensive parts that there are. There isn't much of a reason for most of us to go for a Xeon processor, but the W3530 the OP posted is like $300+, and the appropriate server motherboard and ECC RAM is probably also 2x as much as we're used to paying for our custom-build desktop stuff.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]the same exact specs if you build it yourself would come to about $800-850 Even if you buy a similar prebuild from dell, HP or whatever it shouldnt cost you mores than $1000-1400Makari
I just checked on HP's site - close to the exact same specs (Xeon W3530, 3x1GB RAM, 1TB drive) was $2,003 with Win7 x64. It did have a workstation graphics card instead of a 5770, though - I didn't see an option to knock it down to desktop mobos. Look at the Z400 series workstations, they start at around $1000 for the base models with 1GB RAM and a 160GB HD. Keep in mind Apple's thing - they don't overcharge you much for the parts, they just lock you into buying the most expensive parts that there are. There isn't much of a reason for most of us to go for a Xeon processor, but the W3530 the OP posted is like $300+, and the appropriate server motherboard and ECC RAM is probably also 2x as much as we're used to paying for our custom-build desktop stuff.

Those are workstations. They boast a firepro Ati whick those cards cost 3-4 times the amount of their desktop counterparts plus the use xeon Cpus which also cost more than i5/i7's have a custom cooling that adds to the cost

here is an ibuypowerwith Win7 included for $1189

although you can build one for $800 compared to the ibuypower still even those prebuilds cost $1200 less than the mac and have the exact same specs

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

For $2.4k, I would expect a 30" monitor, dual GPUS, and a lot of interesting softwares.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="adamosmaki"]the same exact specs if you build it yourself would come to about $800-850 Even if you buy a similar prebuild from dell, HP or whatever it shouldnt cost you mores than $1000-1400Makari

They completely over charge you...2 years after the fact and buying an i7 from them is more expensive than buying it on release date..

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="adamosmaki"]the same exact specs if you build it yourself would come to about $800-850 Even if you buy a similar prebuild from dell, HP or whatever it shouldnt cost you mores than $1000-1400edinsftw

They completely over charge you...2 years after the fact and buying an i7 from them is more expensive than buying it on release date..

You didn't notice that it's not Core i7 on the Mac Pros? Haha, it's a Xeon W3530 for the cheapest model. Architecturally the same as a Core i7, yeah, but it's a workstation/server processor. So if you're buying the *same* parts as you would in a Mac... yeah, you won't find a Xeon in a cheap prebuild desktop. Nor would you ECC RAM. In case you didn't notice what I was writing - Apple doesn't overcharge you, they just give you horribly expensive parts. The hardware in a Mac Pro would cost you $2k+ from nearly any vendor, but for someone like you or I there just is no *point* to having that kind of hardware.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="Makari"] I just checked on HP's site - close to the exact same specs (Xeon W3530, 3x1GB RAM, 1TB drive) was $2,003 with Win7 x64. It did have a workstation graphics card instead of a 5770, though - I didn't see an option to knock it down to desktop mobos. Look at the Z400 series workstations, they start at around $1000 for the base models with 1GB RAM and a 160GB HD. Keep in mind Apple's thing - they don't overcharge you much for the parts, they just lock you into buying the most expensive parts that there are. There isn't much of a reason for most of us to go for a Xeon processor, but the W3530 the OP posted is like $300+, and the appropriate server motherboard and ECC RAM is probably also 2x as much as we're used to paying for our custom-build desktop stuff.Makari

You didn't notice that it's not Core i7 on the Mac Pros? Haha, it's a Xeon W3530 for the cheapest model. Architecturally the same as a Core i7, yeah, but it's a workstation/server processor. So if you're buying the *same* parts as you would in a Mac... yeah, you won't find a Xeon in a cheap prebuild desktop. Nor would you ECC RAM. In case you didn't notice what I was writing - Apple doesn't overcharge you, they just give you horribly expensive parts. The hardware in a Mac Pro would cost you $2k+ from nearly any vendor, but for someone like you or I there just is no *point* to having that kind of hardware.

That link goes to a configurator for HP workstations. Xeon class. A similar config to this Mac Pro, is around $2000 with a workstation GPU rather than a 5770 which im sure adds to the cost. And im pretty sure you could build one yourself even cheaper...
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Makari

[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="edinsftw"]

Captain__Tripps

That link goes to a configurator for HP workstations. Xeon class. A similar config to this Mac Pro, is around $2000 with a workstation GPU rather than a 5770 which im sure adds to the cost. And im pretty sure you could build one yourself even cheaper...

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said - $2003 for a close config with a workstation card, etc. The idea was that it's a far cry from the $800 rigs being tossed around on here. :)

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Captain__Tripps

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"][QUOTE="Makari"] You didn't notice that it's not Core i7 on the Mac Pros? Haha, it's a Xeon W3530 for the cheapest model. Architecturally the same as a Core i7, yeah, but it's a workstation/server processor. So if you're buying the *same* parts as you would in a Mac... yeah, you won't find a Xeon in a cheap prebuild desktop. Nor would you ECC RAM. In case you didn't notice what I was writing - Apple doesn't overcharge you, they just give you horribly expensive parts. The hardware in a Mac Pro would cost you $2k+ from nearly any vendor, but for someone like you or I there just is no *point* to having that kind of hardware.Makari

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said - $2003 for a close config with a workstation card, etc. The idea was that it's a far cry from the $800 rigs being tossed around on here. :)

Apple is still overcharging you imo... Just not quite as bad as you'd think on first look. And few if any Mac users need a Xeon class cpu either...
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

if you're willing to spend that much building your own custom pc, you would have a monster :P

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Also if you haven't ever used a Mac don't buy into the hype. I had never used once and had to steal my parents macbook for some courses I'm taking through work. I hate the damn thing, everyone says it's soooo easy, to me it's a complete pain in the ass.

whitey_rolls
I've tried them too and they're far from user friendly. The iMac i was using in the library was resonably specced but it still responded slower than the general admin P4 based windows boxes also it's really annoying to navigate and the magic mouse and mac keyboard are terrible in every way.
Kyozumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Kyozumi
Member since 2010 • 232 Posts

[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"]

markop2003

I've tried them too and they're far from user friendly. The iMac i was using in the library was resonably specced but it still responded slower than the general admin P4 based windows boxes also it's really annoying to navigate and the magic mouse and mac keyboard are terrible in every way.

I second to this . Contary to popular belief , MAC's interface IS NOT USER FRIENDLY as they think . In fact , I find it Annoying and irritating as hell . Back in school when I used MAC for Phototaking classes , I cant believe how hard and annoying it is to transfer image files from folder to folder with a MAC desktop ..

lickisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lickisg
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Mac can be extremely frustrating and annoying for life long windows users like most of us.

The market likes macs for 2 main reasons, its the "popular" thing to do and has a this selling conecpt of "beauty, easy and no virus crap" that haves the low knowledge computer market sold. The lower knowledge people is those who don't game, just listen music, browse twitters, facebook, etc and the occasional highschool/college work

Pretty much 80% of the people i know in college has a mac except for the 1 rare guy like me or the people that are studying computer science. I always try to get in a calm and explained discussion with the rest, and they simply refuse to admit that they got riped off, The argument i always get is " Yeah dude, but mac has no virus add has better video editing" ... Yeah right.

I remember a friend who brought a 3000$ macbook pro about 1.5 years ago that had a core 2 duo 3.0+ with a 8800gtx and 4gb ram. He was telling and showing around that no pc would ever beat hes mac unless of course they pay the price. He used the laptopt just to game orange box and World of Warcraft but that was not the case. I showed him my 600-700$ build with a radeon 4850 overlocked, phenom x3 720 @ 3.5, 4gb and as we contrasted games on my 22" vs hes 15-17" He just god mad hahaha and realized hes mistakes

At the end is all about what people wants to do with their money, they want macs.. ok got for them. But please listen and dont act like a wall vs the pc users who really know what they are recomending while being nice and explainative

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Urworstnhtmare

[QUOTE="markop2003"][QUOTE="whitey_rolls"]

Kyozumi

I second to this . Contary to popular belief , MAC's interface IS NOT USER FRIENDLY as they think . In fact , I find it Annoying and irritating as hell . Back in school when I used MAC for Phototaking classes , I cant believe how hard and annoying it is to transfer image files from folder to folder with a MAC desktop ..

Um. Did you try clicking the images and draging them to whee you would like them to be? :?