Help with Team Fortress 2 for the PC and my 360 Gamepad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Boostinsane (3421 posts) -

i have an xbox 360 gamepad i want to use for team fortress on my laptop. problem is that everytime i want to look up with my joystick all it does is move me forward. i can look side to side just fine but looking up and down is making me mad. i went to the options for the game and it shows nothing that can help me out. please give me some advice.

#2 Posted by jollyriot2k1 (409 posts) -

Sorry if this is genuine, but have to ask - is this a troll attempt? :P You're gonna get obliterated if you play with a gamepad.

Try steam forums for serious advice about the issue.

#3 Posted by Deihmos (7819 posts) -

Team Fortress does not support the pad which is weird. You will need a program to make it work properly. It probably only supports lovgitech pads.

Sorry if this is genuine, but have to ask - is this a troll attempt? :P You're gonna get obliterated if you play with a gamepad.

Try steam forums for serious advice about the issue.

jollyriot2k1

Is it a crime to use a gamepad? This game doesn't require any kind of aim unless you are a sniper.

#4 Posted by jollyriot2k1 (409 posts) -

Are you sure :P If it involves pointing and clicking, that's aiming. Where there is pointing and clicking there are always going to be people doing it faster and more accurately than others.

I find the prospect of trying to hit a scout bouncing around like a headless chicken with the shotgun using a joypad quite amusing....

#5 Posted by The_PC_Gamer (2910 posts) -

Are you sure :P If it involves pointing and clicking, that's aiming. Where there is pointing and clicking there are always going to be people doing it faster and more accurately than others.

I find the prospect of trying to hit a scout bouncing around like a headless chicken with the shotgun using a joypad quite amusing....

jollyriot2k1

so true

#6 Posted by ledzeppelin667 (243 posts) -
glad to see someone likes using gamepads for pc games they feel so much better than K + M to me even though you loose some accuracy I think it makes it more realistic, if everyone used them then theaccuracy loss of itwouldn't be an issue. sadly the PC version of tf2dosn't support them out of the box, its still a really good game with K + M though.
#7 Posted by Spindoc_SEI (1349 posts) -
The 360 controller is directly supported in TF2. Have you downloaded and installed the drivers instead of just doing plug and play? Have you remapped any of the controls on the gamepad? The control scheme should be the same as the Xbox version by default.
#8 Posted by Tehgiggles (736 posts) -
X-padder. Download it.
#9 Posted by Deihmos (7819 posts) -

The 360 controller is directly supported in TF2. Have you downloaded and installed the drivers instead of just doing plug and play? Have you remapped any of the controls on the gamepad? The control scheme should be the same as the Xbox version by default.Spindoc_SEI

No it's not supported at all. The game does support pads but does not support the 360 controller. He will need some type of program to get it working.

#10 Posted by Spindoc_SEI (1349 posts) -
All the new Source games have an option to enable the 360 controller, including TF2, Episode 2, and Portal. I'll be home in a bit so I'll check exactly where it is. I know because I've tried the 360 controller in these games before.
#11 Posted by BambooStudios (19 posts) -
It should work. Worked fine in HL2 ep. 2 and Portal. You probably need to install proper gamepad drivers and enable right settings.... still, as much as I love playing with a gamepad (and 360 gamepad kills logitech btw) I can't imagine playing TF2 with one. Your accuracy does count for more than just sniping and it will be WAY sharper/faster with a mouse.