Help with CPU Temps

#1 Edited by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

Good morning all,

So, I have been playing around with this PC for awhile and having "I think" some temp issues. The processor is a FX8320. The idle temps on the PC are around 45c (which I think is to high). When I do some gaming I get it up to about 55c.

I was wondering if these temps seem like something to worry about? Searching the net some people are getting these temps, but some people are getting down in the 30s on idle. Granted, I am not sure if they are using the stock heatsink like me.

If these temps seem normal then no big deal, but I noticed that there was a sale on the EVO TX3 ($15) and thought this may help knock the temp down if the temps are out of the ordinary.

Here are the core values if anyone cares.

#2 Edited by SerOlmy (1716 posts) -

The new FX lines CPUs are really power hungry and tend to run hot from what I have read. That being said, as long as it stays under 60C under heavy load it should be fine. Now, if you are using the stock cooler I would definitely buy a better one and some article silver paste. The the heatsink and paste that comes with the CPU are garbage. Also it looks like the voltage might be a tad bit high. I would bump it down 20mV and then run Prime95 if it blue screens then bump it up 5mV at a time until it doesn't.

#3 Edited by 04dcarraher (19688 posts) -

Anything under 60C for AMD cpu's your fine. TX3's are nice little coolers much better then stock coolers and will keep that cpu in check.

#4 Posted by soolkiki (1770 posts) -

If you're running on the stock CPU heatsink, then things are going to run a bit hotter. Honestly, those are decent temps. I would only start worrying if it went into the 70s and 80s.

#5 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

Awesome guys thanks for the tips. I may still jump on the TX3 because I have some giftcards to burn up.

#6 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (690 posts) -

First thing, there's the motherboard CPU temp sensor (used to control the CPU fan speed) and there's a sensor in each core. HW Monitor shows both so there's no mistake. Usually with FX CPU's the "socket temp" will show as 5-10C higher than the cores, which makes no sense but anyway the rule is 70C is absolute max for socket and 62C is for cores. You should try and keep it at least 10C lower than that. Don't mix Intel and AMD, Intel CPU's are built differently and can be run on temps that would fry AMD's.

As for the cooler, TX3 would be better than stock but you should reallly get a Hyper 212 Evo, if it can fit in your case.

#7 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (690 posts) -

BTW I don't think you need 1.4V for under 4GHz. Turn it down and the temps will decrease as well.

#8 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4040 posts) -

Temps are fine, chillax

You could do with an aftermarket cooler though.

#9 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

@PfizersaurusRex said:

BTW I don't think you need 1.4V for under 4GHz. Turn it down and the temps will decrease as well.

Why do you think the it defaulted at these settings? There is something on this MSI board called OC Genie, which is enabled. I disabled it and it made no difference it temps.

#10 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Temps are fine, chillax

You could do with an aftermarket cooler though.

I am trying lol, but when that fan gets to cranking it makes me wonder.

#11 Edited by SerOlmy (1716 posts) -

I'm personally not a big fan of the Hyper 212. I am using a Xigmatek Gaia on my rig. I swapped out the fan that came with it for a 120mm Enermax Magma which pushes 50% more CFM and is damn near silent. You can pick those both up on NewEgg for less than $50 total and free shipping.

@Arthas045 said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Why do you think the it defaulted at these settings? There is something on this MSI board called OC Genie, which is enabled. I disabled it and it made no difference it temps.

1.38V or about that. Your MB is overvolting by about 20mV. Some boards just overvolt a little bit. My ASROCK board was overvolting my i5 by about 15mV when I bought it. Stepped it down to stock and have had no issues and slightly cooler temps.

#13 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

@SerOlmy said:

I'm personally not a big fan of the Hyper 212. I am using a Xigmatek Gaia on my rig. I swapped out the fan that came with it for a 120mm Enermax Magma which pushes 50% more CFM and is damn near silent. You can pick those both up on NewEgg for less than $50 total and free shipping.

@Arthas045 said:

@PfizersaurusRex said:

1.38V or about that. Your MB is overvolting by about 20mV. Some boards just overvolt a little bit. My ASROCK board was overvolting my i5 by about 15mV when I bought it. Stepped it down to stock and have had no issues and slightly cooler temps.

I knocked it down to 1.37V and it did drop it at about 3 degree. I do not know much about clocking, but this shouldn't effect gaming performance correct?

#14 Posted by SerOlmy (1716 posts) -

I would download and run Prime95 for about 20 minutes or so. It will run your CPU at max on all cores. If it blue-screens then you need to bump the voltage up a little bit. If it goes much above 60C (AMD says you shouldn't go over 62C for long periods I believe) then you need a new cooler. And no you don't want to push the voltage over stock unless you are overclocking it. Typically you want the lowest stable voltage to keep the temps down.

#15 Posted by Horgen (110153 posts) -

OC or not, I think I will always recommend a third party cooler for the CPU.

#16 Edited by CWEBB04z (4593 posts) -

I have the same cpu and mine runs at around 30 degree Celsius sometimes in the 20's and at load it runs at around 56 degrees (maybe a little high, oh well) Celsius. I have a coolermaster cpu cooler...

I think your good.

#17 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

Well with the test it never crashed but did reach the 60 degree mark. I think its time to invest into a aftermarket cooler.

#18 Edited by SerOlmy (1716 posts) -

I think that is a good plan. I get accused of being overly cautious with my recommendation to keep it under 60C at peak load, but IMO it isn't worth decreasing the lifespan of your CPU. I'm sure once you get a decent cooler it will be well under 60C at peak.

At least you also know that your voltage setting is good. Usually 20-30 minutes in Prime is enough to make any issues obvious.

#19 Edited by insane_metalist (6241 posts) -

My FX-8120 in my secondary rig idles @ 27C-32C. That's with a $30 heatsink.

#20 Edited by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

Good morning all,

So, I have been playing around with this PC for awhile and having "I think" some temp issues. The processor is a FX8320. The idle temps on the PC are around 45c (which I think is to high). When I do some gaming I get it up to about 55c.

I was wondering if these temps seem like something to worry about? Searching the net some people are getting these temps, but some people are getting down in the 30s on idle. Granted, I am not sure if they are using the stock heatsink like me.

If these temps seem normal then no big deal, but I noticed that there was a sale on the EVO TX3 ($15) and thought this may help knock the temp down if the temps are out of the ordinary.

Mine's running on 25C idle, the FX8XXX series do known as more power hungry but that doesn't mean they should be any hotter.

save that money get EVO 212, if you're into high OC I can recommend you other solutions as well.

#21 Posted by groowagon (2823 posts) -

my i5-4670k runs at 70c under load. i think i could use a third party cooler...

#22 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@Arthas045 said:

Good morning all,

Mine's running on 25C idle, the FX8XXX series do known as more power hungry but that doesn't mean they should be any hotter.

save that money get EVO 212, if you're into high OC I can recommend you other solutions as well.

The only thing that I am worried about is the size of the EVO. I would like to get that same or close performance in a smaller package. I have a mid tower, but would prefer not to cover a memory slot or have it touching the memory itself.

#23 Posted by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Arthas045 said:

Good morning all,

The only thing that I am worried about is the size of the EVO. I would like to get that same or close performance in a smaller package. I have a mid tower, but would prefer not to cover a memory slot or have it touching the memory itself.

I've got the beasty Noctua C14 and it doesn't touch any memory slots, yes it covers them but nothing special.

#24 Posted by Arthas045 (5272 posts) -

@PredatorRules: The covering is not as bad as touching. I could just upgrade the 8GB to 2 8GBs if I wanted 16.

#25 Posted by PredatorRules (8199 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

@PredatorRules: The covering is not as bad as touching. I could just upgrade the 8GB to 2 8GBs if I wanted 16.

I don't see how it could touch the RAM dimms in any way, unless very bad manufacturing of the CPU cooler.

#26 Edited by PfizersaurusRex (690 posts) -

What case do you have exactly? Hyper 212 Evo is a little short of 160mm, fits my Elite 332 case with perhaps 2mm clearance. Looks like the fan is far enough to not get in the way of the 1st memory stick (barely). Not that I worry about it, my sticks are very low profile, shorter than the clips :).