Help with an overclock i5 2500k

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

I recently had to update my bios because i was having bsod problems it took care of them. Now i wanted to overclock my cpu but not sure what voltages i should use with the new bios i'm using for my ga-p67a-ud4 (f7 i belive). Also wanted to if it's possible to overclock only when the cpu is in use instead of a 24/7 overclock.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Dunno how it is with sandy bridge, but Z67 mobos are generally advised for OC on Ivy Bridge(Z77) and the only possible mobos to use for OC Haswell(Z87).

Anyway if you don't want it 24/7 you have to enable Intel Speedstep and maybe also not set your computer(in windows this is) to balanced performance.

Have you OC'ed it before? There are plenty of guides for Sandy Bridge OCing. Most likely you can take it up to 4.2 without touching the voltage at all. I hope you use something better than the standard cooling on it.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@horgen123: I had it overclocked before i updated the bios but not sure what voltage i should use the one i had before most likely won't work anymore and wanted to see if anyone knew what would be a good voltage to use. When i overclocked it before i used 1.3V and it worked fine.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator

Most likely it will be stable at a lower voltage. Start with what you used and then see if you can either lower the voltage or go higher in speed if that is what you want.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

You should try 1.4V. I wouldn't go higher then 1.5V.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

1.4V means a lot of heat.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

At 1.4v it WILL run hot. See how high you can get the multiplier while on stock voltage. If you want to go higher, increase the voltage and then the multiplier. Rinse and repeat, basically. It's all about testing to see at what speeds you can stay stable at.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

I wouldn't go even close to 1.4V. 1.25 is high enough and that was after turning it down from 1.3V. where I was getting temps in the 80s.

OP, you're just going to have to experiment, each CPU is different. For a guide on all of your settings, I would try to find a guide on your bios and see what you should do with the rest of the settings if you run into instability issues.

@airshocker said:

At 1.4v it WILL run hot. See how high you can get the multiplier while on stock voltage. If you want to go higher, increase the voltage and then the multiplier. Rinse and repeat, basically. It's all about testing to see at what speeds you can stay stable at.

This is a very good suggestion. Though start low.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

every CPU is different. i had to go to 1.34V to get my 2500K to 4.2ghz. i have tried it clear up to 1.4V and i cannot get it to go any higher and stay stable. i wasnt scared of heat though, since i have a Hyper 212 cooling it... if you havent seen them.... here you go... yeah it is basically the size of a softball and has dual 120mm fans:

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@soolkiki said:

@insane_metalist said:

I wouldn't go even close to 1.4V. 1.25 is high enough and that was after turning it down from 1.3V. where I was getting temps in the 80s.

I'm close to 1.4V and I'm still staying pretty cool. But it is true every CPU is different.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

@soolkiki said:

@insane_metalist said:

I'm close to 1.4V and I'm still staying pretty cool. But it is true every CPU is different.

Right. And I'm using Ivy-Bridge, so while it is much more efficient, it's not exactly cooler due to the way Intel decided to put the covers on over the Die in this lineup.