HELP! Which laptop/tablet should I buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sofiegraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sofiegraham
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hi all!

I am looking to get a new tablet/laptop within the next few months, and I was hoping you tech-savvy folk could give me a hand? My laptop is old, I use it for everything, but recently it just overheats/switches off/crashes/freaks out and is really on it's last legs. The other thing is, it's HEAVY, and I am small, so this is problematic.

I need a replacement, preferably something which I can use as both a laptop and a tablet, here are my core needs:

Primary Usage:

• Work in Excel, Word etc
  • Work in Photoshop
  • Internet browsing/downloading
  • Playing online games such as L4D, DayZ, COD, Civ, etc.

Secondary Usage:

• Work in Flash
  • Graphic design/digital painting with my Wacom
Some other things:

• Weight: Must be light enough to carry everywhere
  • Battery: Must offer around 4 hours of light Office and internet browsing
  • Screen Size: Ten inches or more is preferable (that's what she said!)
  • Screen Res: HD please, 720p is fine
  • Graphics: If I can play online FPS games at lower settings I'll be happy!

I was looking at the Surface Pro 2, it seems to be able to handle most of the above (with the advantage of the wacom digitizer), but I was wondering what you think? I haven't had a lot of time to research products, so your help will be amazingly appreciated!

If you need more info please let me know,

Sofs

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

Given what you do with it why not a desktop and maybe a cheap tablet or chromebook for mobility?

That is a lot of work to be doing on your lap anyway

With this logic why do people need powerful laptops?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I think the Surface Pro 2 definitely sounds like the best fit for your needs.

Depending on how much money you have to spend I would also recommend looking into the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga series, they run more than the Surface Pro 2 will at $999 for the 128GB Surface Pro 2, and $1,250 for the starting configuration of the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with Wacom Support, however you'll get a full PC without having to buy those add on keyboards.

The Surface Pro 2 appears to start stronger than the Thinkpad Yoga so you would need to spend more on the CPU, and it also appears the Yoga doesn't come with a pen so that's another consideration.

With those in mind in really comes down to budget, but it sounds like the Surface Pro 2 would be the winner if you don't want to be spending over 1k for the computer itself.

Here's a link to the Thinkpad Yoga, if you research them make sure you look into the Thinkpad's because only they can be upgraded to support Wacom.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga/