This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jamesapap (2 posts) -

I´m thinking of upgrading my pc, but i don´t have the cash to upgrade everything at once ,since i dont think it can be upgraded without cpu motherboard memory and gaming card, the specs are:

AMD 3800+

Asus a8v deluxe

msi6800 gt 256mb agp

2x1024 ddr400 (kingstone)+ 2x512 ddr400(kingstone)

sata 200gb 7.400

I don´t know what to do. Can anyone help me decide?

#2 Posted by ulillillia (685 posts) -

I´m thinking of upgrading my pc, but i don´t have the cash to upgrade everything at once ,since i dont think it can be upgraded without cpu motherboard memory and gaming card, the specs are:

AMD 3800+

Asus a8v deluxe

msi6800 gt 256mb agp

2x1024 ddr400 (kingstone)+ 2x512 ddr400(kingstone)

sata 200gb 7.400

I don´t know what to do. Can anyone help me decide?

jamesapap

First, what's your budget (how much are you willing to spend)?  Looking at the specs, your system is still semidecent.  I'm not familiar with AMD, and seeing that you have AGP, I wouldn't know what to suggest.  To get PCI-express, for a better video card, you'd need to upgrade your motherboard and thus upgrade your CPU along with it.  Upgrading your CPU would probably mean upgrading your motherboard, but if you stick with AGP, your video card would be the weak point and thus PCI-express would be most useful, but you'd very likely have to end up getting a new video card along with it.  I would suggest saving up some more so you can later upgrade your motherboard and when the DirectX 10 video cards come out, you could take full advantage of those along with the upgrade.
#3 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -
You have plenty of ram and your cpu is still good,  so if you don't want to do a total system overhaul, getting a newer graphics card will be the best route. There are still some pretty powerful AGP cards being made. Here is a review site using the newest AGP cards, keep in mind they are using only a 2500+ cpu and it is bottlenecking really bad, so with a 3800+ your performance will be better. That would be the cheapest way, an x1950Pro is a little over $300 and might need a new PSU too, if you get one just get like a 600w with good 12v rails so it'll be ready for a new pc too, they only go up like $10 from 400w to 600w so may as well. 
#4 Posted by Gregoroth (2552 posts) -
If you really want an upgrade, I'd go for an AGP based Radeon X1950Pro. That's about the best you can do but in all honesty, it's not worth it seeing as upgrading a component around that motherboard will still leave you quite outdated, especially as we move on towards the end of the year and into 2008. You really should go for a system based on a PCI-E motherboard so if I were you, I'd get everything in one go once you have the money.
#5 Posted by BeavermanA (2652 posts) -