This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3445 posts) -

I'm starting my first complete build - and have been buying parts as I go.

I guess really my question lies in the motherboard and PSU.

I have an i5-650 (LGA 1156) and have no idea what motherboard is "best" and a reasonable price. I know it's near impossible, but I hate shelling out $100+ on anything.

I currently have a PSU (480W) that came with my Logisys case that I plan on scrapping - the reviews on the case were decent, excluding the PSU that lacks 12V+ rail. 

I'll be running an older graphics card, 8800 GT. So I don't need a huge amount of power, and I doubt I'll be overclocking anything.

This is really just a budget gaming PC.

I'll try to answer any questions you have regarding the system, usage, etc.

#2 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

What games are you going to play? That GPU is way too old to run any of the recent games decently.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (12964 posts) -
What games are you going to play? That GPU is way too old to run and of the recent games decently.dramaybaz
Actually for most games this gen an 8800GT will do fine at moderate resolutions.
#4 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

well you answered yourself, get a new mobo, change the powersupply to something like a antec 500 watt/corsair/xfx etc etc.  That graphics card will need an update, but it should be ok for maybe another year.  I would also try to overclock your cpu to something like 4ghz.  Get a nice cooler to allow you that overclock.  With that much you should be chugging along fine for pc gaming.  When you upgrade your graphics card later on, you will be gaming at decent settings.

#5 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3445 posts) -

So the for the motherboard? Anything specfic? Will just any random LGA 1156 motherboard be suitable - or should I be looking for specifics?

#6 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3445 posts) -

What games are you going to play? That GPU is way too old to run any of the recent games decently.

dramaybaz
While the card itself may be an older gen, it's not completely useless in gaming.
#7 Posted by Richard_The_Gr8 (620 posts) -

I always find that if you go for a good brand like Asus or Gigabyte and go just above the rock bottom prices (like +$20) then just make sure it has SATA 3 and USB 3 and it has a pci 3 x16 lane you'll be good to go....

#8 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

You're gonna struggle to find LGA1156 motherboards since they are not making them anymore. LGA1155 is currently in production, so you might have to get a new CPU.

A 500W PSU will be good for your setup. The 8800 GT is a bit old, but it runs today's games fine with lower settings and resolution. It's up to you for the upgrade.

#9 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3445 posts) -

Snagged a board on eBay - I'll grab a PSU once my wallet quits hurting from the CPU & mobo.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#10 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7271 posts) -

So I assume you are buying parts mostly from ebay?

I would had advise against this i5, but since you already have it than I guess just roll with it.

Find a cheap board as you said it and go for brands like gigabyte, asus. Buy a 7790hd, they are new good budget card.

#11 Posted by Thuganomic05 (3445 posts) -

So I assume you are buying parts mostly from ebay?

I would had advise against this i5, but since you already have it than I guess just roll with it.

Find a cheap board as you said it and go for brands like gigabyte, asus. Buy a 7790hd, they are new good budget card.

Bikouchu35
Mostly, yes. I'm trying to stay within a budget that I feel comfortable with; though, I haven't set a total amount that I'm wanting to stay with for the entire build - since I'm getting a couple of parts at a time. If I'm feeling okay with the price on something then I'm buying it, pretty much. I bought the i5, after failing to notice it was dual core - the seller's description didn't mention it was an i5-650; just that it had 4 threads, 2 cores, etc, etc. So it was really my fault for jumping on it - but at $80 - I couldn't resist. I went with a Biostar board - and for now I'm planning on seeing how well the 8800GT fares. I've had the card for a while but never had the PSU to power it up; it may not even work, for all I know. Regardless, though - I'm going to try it how and if it's not cutting it I'll be looking at something else. I hate to admit it, but the build was decided upon for solely one game - after realizing that the components would run some other games, it made it even better (especially games that I've purchased on D2D in the past and have never been able to play: eg. GTA IV, Arma 2, etc.)