HELP no signal from graphics card :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeoAyura
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

Hi

Just built my first new PC and I'm having trouble with getting the video card to work.

The spec is the following:

Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H

Intel i5 3450

Sapphire Radeon 7870 2gb

Kingston Value Ram

Thermaltake 550w PSU

I'm using my HDTV as a monitor

Everything seems to be working fine. All the fans are spinning, including the 7870's fans. Both the PCIE 6pin connectors are firmly secured. The card itself is firmly seated, as it has to be otherwise it wouldn't screw itself in the back of the case.

Connecting to the onboard graphics via HDMI works fine, however when I try booting the system with the HDMI cable in the 7870, I don't get any signal, it doesnt even show BIOs. Nothing whatsoever.

I've updated my BIOs, installed all the drivers on the motherboard from the CD that came with it.

In the device manager, under display adapters, it says 'Standard VGA graphics adapter'. I have no idea if this is refering to the onboard graphics card or the 7870.

I've tried downloading the latest ATI drivers (12.8) and I've made sure they were for the 64bit of Windows 7 which I am running. It installs, but nothing seems to happen after. When it finishes, it says in the install box that warnings have occured, then links me to Internet Explorer but doesn't specify any warnings, it just details what's been installed.

Currently, the version of Windows 7 I'm running doesn't have a product key as I have yet to purchase a copy of Windows, but I will be doing so in a couple of days. I've got all the latest updates for Windows.

I've also tried going into the BIOs, disabling the onboard graphics and making sure it runs the display off PEG (PCIE). That didn't work so I had to reset the BIOs.

I've literally ran out of ideas and I'm stumped as to what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NeoAyura

UPDATE - just uninstalled the drivers where it is listed as 'standard vga graphics adapter' in the device manager. Reinstalled and now it says 'Video Controller (VGA compatible)'.

Tried installing the latest catalyst drivers and still no luck. When manually trying to search for drivers, it just lists 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'.

NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NeoAyura

bump?

Dream01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dream01
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts

im sorry but I didnt see if you had your monitor plugged into your mobo or your video card.

NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NeoAyura
I've tried both. I'm getting a signal plugged into mobo. But I'm not getting a signal from my video card.
ClassicRockFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ClassicRockFTW
Member since 2012 • 1106 Posts

Does your PSU have the appropriate wattage?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Does your PSU have the appropriate wattage?

ClassicRockFTW
This is a good question, another is do you (TC) have any other computers or friends with computers that you could put the card in real quick and test if it might be faulty?
NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NeoAyura

The PSU is a Thermaltake 530w 80plus so it should be able to run it fine.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone whose system I could try it out on.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

The PSU is a Thermaltake 530w 80plus so it should be able to run it fine.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone whose system I could try it out on.

NeoAyura
If this is your PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153151 Then the 38A on the 12V rail should be enough for the 7870. I'm guessing a faulty card but since you can't test for sure I would be cautious saying that is the definite answer.
Dream01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dream01
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts

Yea that's the only thing that makes sense since you said video is working on your mobo. It can't be the ram since the video on the motherboard is working, It can't be the mobo since it's working and even if you didn't have the drivers installed the videocard would still work. So it looks like your card is faulty. Also you did fiddle with your mobo's bios so just try letting it be default on everything then try it again if that doesn't work it would be your card.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Motherboards usually detect and default to PCI-E if a card is there, but have you tried going into the bios and manually choosing the option to use a PCI-E videocard?
NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NeoAyura

Hi

Some more good and bad news :S

I took my PC to a repair shop and the guy looked at it for free. The graphics card is working fine on his test bench system and is booting up and everything. So, I went home and ordered a new motherboard, a gigabyte z77x-d3h (the other was a z77-ds3h) since we thought it must of been a bad PCI slot. Guess what? It still won't boot up *pulls out hair*.

This is very maddening. Either there is some compatibility issue between Sapphire Radeons and Gigabyte z77 line or my power supply just isn't cutting it. The guy at the store seems to strongly think it is a PSU problem. He checked my PSU with those electrical meters and it's working fine. (PSU is a thermaltake smart 530w+80).

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb and frustrating question but I want to ask to make sure: Did the guy at the shop also use HDMI when he tested it? I'm thinking if he used DVI and it's actually the HDMI port on your card that is busted.
NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NeoAyura

^^^ Yep, we used both DVI-HDMI and HDMI and still no luck

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
right click your desktop, click Screen Resolution and click Advanded Settings and tell us what it says as your graphics card.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
right click your desktop, click Screen Resolution and click Advanded Settings and tell us what it says as your graphics card.JohnF111
Read the first post...
Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

I just had almost this exact same problem. My first ever build, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H mother board, Sapphire Radeon HD7850 graphics card (650W modular PSU unit though). Single beep after the POST. No picture at all though from any of the outputs when the graphics card was installed. When I removed the card, I got a display.

I was on here, typing up almost the exact same question but I knew I'd get all the usual (have you tried turning it off and on) type answers, so I decided to try every basic possibility first. The first thing I tried was plugging the PCIE cable into a different socket on the PSU and BOOM, it worked. I dont know if the PSU I have has a faulty socket or if it requires you to use a certain one first or if it was just Bullshoot luck. I see your PSU is not modular, but have you tried the other PCIE cable?

I know this absolutely shouldnt work... but you want to exhaust all the basic possibilities first right?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]right click your desktop, click Screen Resolution and click Advanded Settings and tell us what it says as your graphics card.horgen123
Read the first post...

In device manager both are visible, on the advanced settings it says which one is in use. Unless he disabled the integrated one which he only mentioned as resetting the bios after disabling the integrated graphics then both will show in device manager.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Sorry didnt read all the comments and have no time to, but go to bios and reset your CMOS, then set the default video to PCI-e and if possible set the ammount of vram installed on the video card.

If that does not work, try re routing your PSU wires for your videocard if possible, try different PCI-e connectors to see if you are stressing your PSU way too much.

Lastly if that does not work try uninstalling your video card driver, restart, then manually install an outdated version "if the newest one is giving you problems" of the video card driver, make sure that in some way your monitor, bios, or OS knows that your HDTV is the output source of the video.

NeoAyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NeoAyura

Thanks for all the replies.

After much headache, I decided to buy another card since my blood pressure was going through the roof!!!

I've read other people having similar problems with Sapphires Radeon 7870 and their Gigabyte motherboards, so I bought a Asus Geforce 660ti OC edition and it booted perfectly (plus it came with Borderlands 2 as well :)), I've had absolutely no troubles. Now to test some games and hopefully see some killer performance :)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JohnF111

Thanks for all the replies.

After much headache, I decided to buy another card since my blood pressure was going through the roof!!!

I've read other people having similar problems with Sapphires Radeon 7870 and their Gigabyte motherboards, so I bought a Asus Geforce 660ti OC edition and it booted perfectly (plus it came with Borderlands 2 as well :)), I've had absolutely no troubles. Now to test some games and hopefully see some killer performance :)

NeoAyura
So it was likely the card after all then. Well at least you got it fixed and a game as well, good news.
Keenaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Keenaro
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Im having a similar problem im new to building computers, when I finished it all the fans were working from the graphics card, the heat sink, and the chassis but when I plug the dvi to monitor no signal