help me with my ram question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
I'm fairly new to this upgrading computers, currently I have 1 stick of 512 DDR PC3200 ram and I want to upgrade to some better ram and I'm not entirely sure if I should just buy another stick like my current ram or go for something like DDR2.

I'm not sure at all about what ram I can plug into my motherboard can someone help me on this?
#2 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -
ddr2 ram won't fit it needs a different slot. Any stick of pc3200 ram will be fine, only if you have dual channel support you'd do best to look for a same stick as what you have now. Download and install cpu-z to get more info about your current ram and available slots or check your motherboard manual.
#3 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
Thanks for that
#4 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.
#5 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -
The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.danielsmith2020

That would mean it supports dual channel. Insert matched pairs per color to benefit from this. (it basically means the cpu can read and write from those slots at the same time, thus giving a small performance boost)
#6 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
[QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.BLKR4330

That would mean it supports dual channel. Insert matched pairs per color to benefit from this. (it basically means the cpu can read and write from those slots at the same time, thus giving a small performance boost)

Do the blue slots mean they support a different type of ram or the same type of ram?
#7 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -
[QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.danielsmith2020

Do the blue slots mean they support a different type of ram or the same type of ram?

The same type. The colour just means that the slots can be paired to work together. For this you need to insert matching ram into both slots of the same colour.
#8 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
[QUOTE="danielsmith2020"][QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.BLKR4330

The same type. The colour just means that the slots can be paired to work together. For this you need to insert matching ram into both slots of the same colour.

So to use this feature I get 2 sticks of ram and place 1 in the blue alot and 1 in black slot?
#9 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -
[QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"][QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.danielsmith2020

So to use this feature I get 2 sticks of ram and place 1 in the blue alot and 1 in black slot?

Check your manual to be sure, but usually it's either both in black or both in blue.
#10 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
[QUOTE="danielsmith2020"][QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"][QUOTE="BLKR4330"][QUOTE="danielsmith2020"]The thing is though that my motherboard has 4 slots 2 that are black and 2 that are blue and I don't know about the blue slots.BLKR4330

Check your manual to be sure, but usually it's either both in black or both in blue.

I don't have a motherboard manual as when my comp was under warranty the cpu fan power slot broke and they replaced the board and didn't leave the manual.
#11 Posted by jborits (27 posts) -

You add ram, to either both blue, or both black. This is where Dual channel comes in and is more then a small boost.

You can add single chips, or different speeds of 3200 Ram, but that will remove the dual channel.

Like the other poster said, download cpu-z and run it. Get exactly the same speed and size you have to the other 2 slots. This will keep the pc in Dual Channel Mode. The most bang for your buck.

#12 Posted by person69 (475 posts) -

dont know if u hav got ya ram yet, but if not use this site.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CKjY1saFpIoCFR10ZwodUQG0Tg, put in the model and make of ya oc and it tells u what ram is cimpatable with ya pc

#13 Posted by danielsmith2020 (2244 posts) -
Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated.