Help Me Make My PC Stay Relevant Longer (Need New GPU)

#2 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

I'd get a r9 290. I have almost same setup and just bought myself a 4gb 770gtx because it was 300 and the price I was looking for.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29220 posts) -

A 256gb ssd + a new GPU,no point of changing anything else

Cheapest upgrade would be to find a 2nd 6870 for cheap and wait for Maxwell

#4 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

A 2nd 6870 would be dirt cheap if you get it used.

#5 Edited by naz99 (1156 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn said:

A 2nd 6870 would be dirt cheap if you get it used.

Only 1gb of memory though,i recently had to get rid of my dual 6870s because of memory limitations especially with newer games and games i ran in eyefinity

As for the op

That i5 is more than enough to last years more,just a resonble overclock would do

All you need is a new gpu an AMD 290-290x or an Nvidia 770-780 and an SSD for a boot drive (Just recently got an SSD as a Boot drive and i'm never going back it's amazing) and you are set!

#7 Edited by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

Get an aftermarket market cooler for that cpu and overclock it. Get a new gpu GTX 760 or better or AMD r280 or better.

#8 Posted by Tranula (9 posts) -

The cheapest thing would be to wait for DX12 and see what improvements take place.

#11 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

@Tranula said:

its a year? damn. n/m

yeah its not due until late 2015 so really its nearly year and a half if it comes holiday 2015 time frame.

#12 Posted by Postmortem123 (7623 posts) -

Get a 780 or 290.

#13 Posted by Tranula (9 posts) -

@04dcarraher:

u seem knowledgable on this, should dx12 make dx11 games run better?

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (7244 posts) -

Get an aftermarket market cooler for that cpu and overclock it. Get a new gpu GTX 760 or better or AMD r280 or better.

This.

#15 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7290 posts) -

R9 290, congrats your rig will last another 2 yrs. Not saying you should do what I done but I bought a 290 ebay for half of retail, so I'm a happy camper. 2500k p67 board also.

#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

@Tranula said:

@04dcarraher:

u seem knowledgable on this, should dx12 make dx11 games run better?

yes, as it will lower cpu overheads allowing more cpu cycles to go to other tasks and or gpu speeding things along

#17 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

If I go with R9 290, would this be a good one? It is the most expensive, but I like the triple fans.

Link

I appreciate everyone's feedback, but I am looking for what will extend my PC's life the most, not necessarily the cheapest option. Just trying to hold off a full upgrade if possible :P

Thanks!

#18 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

I hear good things about sapphire tri x.

I just got my 770 today and popped it in. Wow what a difference right away.

#19 Posted by Weird_Jerk (577 posts) -

As @MonsieurX mentioned, a new ssd and midrange/upper-midrange would suit you pretty well. That's just about the only difference between your pc and my pc right now, at least in terms of raw power.

#20 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

A 290, I'd get Sapphire's Vapor-X if less than $450.

A 256GB SSD.

A Corsair H100i and overclock that 2500K to 4.6GHz or as far as you can.

#21 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

@Cwagmire21 said:

If I go with R9 290, would this be a good one? It is the most expensive, but I like the triple fans.

Link

I appreciate everyone's feedback, but I am looking for what will extend my PC's life the most, not necessarily the cheapest option. Just trying to hold off a full upgrade if possible :P

Thanks!

Get it, probably the best 290 available.

Edit:

Since you said money is not a problem, I'd consider looking for a cheap i7 2600K, there are already games that see major gains using the extra threads, 4 cores will become a bottleneck as time goes on, especially for multiplayer games.

#22 Edited by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

@Cwagmire21 said:

Link

Thanks!

Edit:

Since you said money is not a problem, I'd consider looking for a cheap i7 2600K, there are already games that see major gains using the extra threads, 4 cores will become a bottleneck as time goes on, especially for multiplayer games.

New CPU = new version of windows correct? Or is that mobo?

#23 Edited by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

Link

Thanks!

Edit:

New CPU = new version of windows correct? Or is that mobo?

Edit: WOW - the r9 290 is huge! It's going to be a real tight fit (if it'll fit at all) to go inside my full size case! Foot long is pretty insane!

#24 Posted by insane_metalist (5912 posts) -

(GPU) - GTX 780 or R9 290
(CPU Cooler) - Cooler Master Hyper 212
(SSD) - Samsung, Sandisk, Kingston, Crucial, OCZ, PNY - 240GB - 256GB
(Mobo) Look into Z97 mobos (you could use one).
To answer your question from previous post - You'd have to reinstall windows if you were to get a new mobo not CPU. Your CPU is fine just overclock it a bit (it's easy).

#25 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

@Cwagmire21:

No, you only need to re-install when changing mobo.

And yeah, it's 12", almost all high end cards are huge, especially ones with triple fan.

The EVGA SC 780 is 10.5"

#26 Edited by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Hmmmm so I forgot to mention I also have a second hard drive :

Link.

And here's on the specs of that sapphire R9 290:

"750 Watt Power Supply is required.

2x150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required."

So with all listed above in the OP plus my second hard drive - will my 750w power supply be enough?

#27 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Hmmmm so I forgot to mention I also have a second hard drive :

Link.

And here's on the specs of that sapphire R9 290:

"750 Watt Power Supply is required.

2x150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required."

So with all listed above in the OP plus my second hard drive - will my 750w power supply be enough?

Can anyone assist? :(