Help! CPU spikes at idle...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

I'm having major problems here!

It started yesterday when I was playing SC demo...it ran really slow.

I went to check CPU usage and it was pegged at 50% and bouncing to 90% ( I had already quit playing SC...so there was nothing running) ( I wish I had glances at the processes page before I did)

I rebooted and it quieted down..from 0% to 4%...which I guess is normal.

However I would get occasional spikes from 6% to 26%..only lasting a second or so.

Now today I left my rig running for most of the day ( no programs running) and it was back to 50%

When I shut it down to reboot..it gave me an error message that several programs were running.

CCAP ( Norton anti virus)..I was not running a scan or anything ( I never get this message on shutdown or any other..it just shuts down)

Msmsg ..is this the auto update program?

And one other..I forgot to write it down

Also my processes list jumps from 56 to 64 occasionaly...but they go by too fast to see what they were.

I tried watching the processes page..but again it goes too fast

I have run an AV program and several different spyware programs...but nothing came up!

Ideas on how to narrow down whats going on?

It is a new rig ( One month old) and AV protection was up and running before I plugged the modem in.

DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Norton is a system hog. That is causing your trouble. I've had nothing but bad experiences, and friends of mine as well. The only exception is Norton Ghost...
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OgreB
What should I get to replace it? I just D/led AVG FREE Antivirus and spyware. My internet provider can give me MCafee? for free Ideas? And thanks I was just watching the processes page and the processes that kept coming and going were LUcallbackproxy.exe I looked it up under files....and there was Norton I do have Ghost though
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts
If your unsure about which processes to end in task manager, then go to http://www.processlibrary.com... I have yet to search for a process that they don't have...
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
[QUOTE="OgreB"]What should I get to replace it? I just D/led AVG FREE Antivirus and spyware. My internet provider can give me MCafee? for free Ideas? And thanks I was just watching the processes page and the processes that kept coming and going were LUcallbackproxy.exe I looked it up under files....and there was Norton I do have Ghost though

LUcallbackproxy.exe sounds more like a trojan that is phoning home. I would check for spyware and trojans and check the first phone bill you would receive, it could be a proxy, but also one of those internationall callers... brrrr... Anyway, here are some titles: Freeware Anti-virus: AVG, Avast, Clamwin Freeware anti-spyware: Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor
bluealien2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bluealien2
Member since 2006 • 930 Posts
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory?files=LUcallbackproxy.exe

It's perfectly safe and it's part of Norton/Symantec, click the link above if you want to know more about it. Again, if you need to know what a certain process does, look it up on processlibrary.com...

And as suggested above,
I use AVG Free Antivirus, It's great, and runs VERY small files in the background, you won't even notice them..
I also use Ad-Aware SE, which was suggested above, it works great...

I suggest uninstalling Norton, my cousin had it on his computer, it's a RAM eater, especially if you don't have much RAM to begin with... I uninstalled it from my cousins, and he's happy with AVG Free too, and his system's a little faster...
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OgreB
Thanks... I will try AVG Free Antivirus...I just D/Led it And I did have Ad-Aware on my old rig at one time... And defintely get rid of Norton....it just eats up too much CPU usage! I turned it off ( Norton) ( unplugged modem first) and the CPU usage bouncing subsided. Stupid Norton Symantec!!! Thanks...