Help a non horror gamer pick a scary game for the season.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cryfreedom66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cryfreedom66
Member since 2005 • 654 Posts

Sooo I dont like horror games. It's not that they scare me, its that they stress me the f out. Funny thing is I love horror movies, so yea thats weird. I have always wanted to be a horror game lover, so I am trying to force myself...

I am trying to choose between a few top notch recent horror games to play in order to get in the mood for Halloween...need some opinions...

The ones im torn between are Alien Isolation, Evil Within, Dead Space Series and Alan Wake. I like a good story, I like good graphics and I want something to change my opinion of the genre.

Thanks!

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Alien is great I vote that one... I will be picking up Evil Within next...

Alan Wake is great but its more of a thriller than horror.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

AH I have all of those :o

My advice would be Dead Space, followed by Alien Isolation.

Alan Wake is not really a horror game, although very atmospheric, it is also not as good as any of the above. The evil within is not very scary, just frustrating, and gorefilled, with a story that glimmers og brillience early on, and then falls apart with the most lackluster ending I have ever seen, yes even worse then Borderlands 1.

So my choices would be between Dead Space, and Alien Isolation. Now since you state that horror games stress you out? then I might not want to pick alien: Isolation, given how it can be stressful and frustrating. It is not a bad game, at all, might be in my top 10. But I would go with dead Space. It seems like the safest choice for you. As you describe what it needs to be, and how you react.

Alternatives (that does not look that good though) would be amnesia the dark descent (if you have a pc, but the game has the same falws as Alien Isolation has, and might prove nothing but frustrating). And Call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth (but that one is rather old, and certainly don't live up to the notion of good Graphics).

So I would go with Dead Space :P dead Space 1 to be precise.