This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -

Hey guys, nice FAQ you got here. I'm thinking of getting the AKG K 240 MKII but I'm wondering, is it recommended to get a headphone amp? Been looking around the net for some answers, but it seems pretty mixed. I have an Asus xonar DX sound card if that makes any difference. Thanks :)

gedz
I'm going to be a bit more generic than usual and say that if you're spending more than $100 on a pair of headphones, it's an investment, and at that point it's worthwhile to consider a dedicated amplifier for them if you do not have one already. Good luck! Boz
#-48 Posted by gedz (674 posts) -

[QUOTE="gedz"]

Hey guys, nice FAQ you got here. I'm thinking of getting the AKG K 240 MKII but I'm wondering, is it recommended to get a headphone amp? Been looking around the net for some answers, but it seems pretty mixed. I have an Asus xonar DX sound card if that makes any difference. Thanks :)

Bozanimal

I'm going to be a bit more generic than usual and say that if you're spending more than $100 on a pair of headphones, it's an investment, and at that point it's worthwhile to consider a dedicated amplifier for them if you do not have one already. Good luck! Boz

Yeah I agree with it being an investment, so I have been considering one. When I was looking around for some info, I saw some suggestions over on the head-fi forum for the fiio E7 or E9. They are around £60-80 respectively. Would those be decent or would there be something better?

#-47 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6657 posts) -

I might be buying new headphones in the future... Haven't got round to getting an amp for my K702s but they simply cannot compare to my B&W DM685/ KEF 3005KHT, which makes me dread night time when everyone else in the house is sleeping, because my 7.1 surround system's gotta be either turned down so low I cannot enjoy my movies & music to the full extent or I *have* to use my so far --- inferior sounding headphones.

The lack of bass is disturbing and I'm told not even a good DAC/headamp/break-in will save me. With non existent bass I find it hard to enjoy my pop / party / dnb / dubstep / house / club / rnb / hip-hop / trance / dance music and action movies.

Seems like Beyerdynamic/Denon are my only options? Budget is like 500 dollars for headphones. Could easily spend the same amount on an amp...

Although I'm trying to buy an Elite Kuro and have a drivers liscense to pay for soon and no job yet... So going put head-fi on hold for now...

I'm told the Beyerdynamic DT770s are monsters when it comes to deep bass but I'm afraid I'd have to sacrifice everything in sound quality just to get some nice and deep cinema bass? Even going from K702 to DT880s seems like a downgrade... These AKGs are supposed to be on par with the T1s goddamnit.

#-46 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -

I might be buying new headphones in the future... Haven't got round to getting an amp for my K702s but they simply cannot compare to my B&W DM685/ KEF 3005KHT, which makes me dread night time when everyone else in the house is sleeping, because my 7.1 surround system's gotta be either turned down so low I cannot enjoy my movies & music to the full extent or I *have* to use my so far --- inferior sounding headphones.

The lack of bass is disturbing and I'm told not even a good DAC/headamp/break-in will save me. With non existent bass I find it hard to enjoy my pop / party / dnb / dubstep / house / club / rnb / hip-hop / trance / dance music and action movies.

Seems like Beyerdynamic/Denon are my only options? Budget is like 500 dollars for headphones. Could easily spend the same amount on an amp...

Although I'm trying to buy an Elite Kuro and have a drivers liscense to pay for soon and no job yet... So going put head-fi on hold for now...

I'm told the Beyerdynamic DT770s are monsters when it comes to deep bass but I'm afraid I'd have to sacrifice everything in sound quality just to get some nice and deep cinema bass? Even going from K702 to DT880s seems like a downgrade... These AKGs are supposed to be on par with the T1s goddamnit.

Mozelleple112
DT990s are supposed to have some deep, hard hitting bass .
#-45 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6657 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

DivergeUnify

Wow 300 dollars. That's not a bad price. Too bad that's America though... I suppose I might be able to get them for $400 after shipping and tax... And that's not much more than my K702s. I'm seriously uncertain though. I could really do with a pair of headphones that make me feel like I'm wearing a cinema on my head. Then again not many cinema brands makes headphones... :( I want Klipsch / Snell THX / JBL to come out with some PROPER HEADPHONES ( not thinking about Klipsch's 90 dollar pair or their IEMs, would be nice if Klipsch did a proper 200-1500 dollar headphone lineup) I figure Denon AH-D5000 / Beyerdynamic DT990 will be my best bet? Both of them... so expensive.. :(
#-44 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

Wow 300 dollars. That's not a bad price. Too bad that's America though... I suppose I might be able to get them for $400 after shipping and tax... And that's not much more than my K702s. I'm seriously uncertain though. I could really do with a pair of headphones that make me feel like I'm wearing a cinema on my head. Then again not many cinema brands makes headphones... :( I want Klipsch / Snell THX / JBL to come out with some PROPER HEADPHONES ( not thinking about Klipsch's 90 dollar pair or their IEMs, would be nice if Klipsch did a proper 200-1500 dollar headphone lineup) I figure Denon AH-D5000 / Beyerdynamic DT990 will be my best bet? Both of them... so expensive.. :(

I'm not sure if it would be your best bet as I haven't heard them, but its supposed to be one of the bassiest open back headphones. Best thing you could do is looking up headphones with a similar sound frequency to klipsch's and try to match it. Or go on a site like amazon, order headphones and return what you don't like . Maybe EQ your K702s around

#-43 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -

Mozelleple112

You might consider the Shure SRH750DJ headphones, which have a pronounced bump in the bass region without making major clarity sacrifices.

Or you could get crazy and think outside the box. If your primary concern is neighbors, consider using transducers to supplement your bass response. Basically you would use a small amplifier and "bass shaker" combination to have tactile audio in the sub-bass frequency range, and your headphones would complement the feeling.

I've experienced bass shakers in car audio and believe me, they are NOT a gimmick. They're pretty sweet, and if you've got a piece of furniture you typically use that you can mount one or two to, you'll have a pretty amazing experience.

Something to think about. ;)

Boz

#-42 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6657 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Bozanimal

You might consider the Shure SRH750DJ headphones, which have a pronounced bump in the bass region without making major clarity sacrifices.

Or you could get crazy and think outside the box. If your primary concern is neighbors, consider using transducers to supplement your bass response. Basically you would use a small amplifier and "bass shaker" combination to have tactile audio in the sub-bass frequency range, and your headphones would complement the feeling.

I've experienced bass shakers in car audio and believe me, they are NOT a gimmick. They're pretty sweet, and if you've got a piece of furniture you typically use that you can mount one or two to, you'll have a pretty amazing experience.

Boz

Those bass shakers look really neat and are inexpensive too, might try those, lol. Not to shure about the shures (trollface.jpeg) not really listened to them.. I MIGHT buy the Denon AH-D5000 if I can get it for $400, seems like a sick deal, they cost $1200 in Norway... I want analytically correct headphones capable of deep bass to satisfy my thirst for high end cinema, yet keep a detailed sound image and have a wide soundstage. Playing tones accurately is important too, that's why I can't just go off and a grab Sony XB700s or something silly. Denon's D5000 / Beyerdynamic DT 770-990 seems like my best bet, no?

They look stunning too.

I haven't been able to test them for movies but they do music like SWEAT by David Guetta feat. Snoop Dogg really, really well. They have them in my local hi-fi store so I could just bring a movie with me audition them once more.

#-41 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

Boz

Those bass shakers look really neat and are inexpensive too, might try those, lol. Not to shure about the shures (trollface.jpeg) not really listened to them.. I MIGHT buy the Denon AH-D5000 if I can get it for $400, seems like a sick deal, they cost $1200 in Norway... I want analytically correct headphones capable of deep bass to satisfy my thirst for high end cinema, yet keep a detailed sound image and have a wide soundstage. Playing tones accurately is important too, that's why I can't just go off and a grab Sony XB700s or something silly. Denon's D5000 / Beyerdynamic DT 770-990 seems like my best bet, no?

They look stunning too.

I haven't been able to test them for movies but they do music like SWEAT by David Guetta feat. Snoop Dogg really, really well. They have them in my local hi-fi store so I could just bring a movie with me audition them once more.

In my limited knowledge those would be your best choices, but as far as bass goes, nothing is really going to have more bass slam than a closed pair of cans such as the Denons

#-40 Posted by BranKetra (48426 posts) -

I'm looking for some portable closed headphones. I made a thread earlier, but I was referred here.

I noticed other people asking around ITT. So, here goes. Specifically, I'm looking for some portable closed cans with decent bass that don't cost too much. Somewhere around the $100 dollar range, for now. Once I get more experience with quality headphones, I'll get something better. So far, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-580 look good.

Any recommendations?

#-39 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -

I'm looking for some portable closed headphones. I made a thread earlier, but I was referred here.

I noticed other people asking around ITT. So, here goes. Specifically, I'm looking for some portable closed cans with decent bass that don't cost too much. Somewhere around the $100 dollar range, for now. Once I get more experience with quality headphones, I'll get something better. So far, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-580 look good.

Any recommendations?

BranKetra

I've heard the HFI-580s are sick. Generic safe choice would be the Audio Technica M50s. After doing some quick reading the 580s aren't the best for portable options. I'd go with Audio Technica M50s

#-38 Posted by BranKetra (48426 posts) -
The M50s look good. Are the HD280 any good? I got a few recommendations for them and they're the cheapest of the three.
#-37 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
The M50s look good. Are the HD280 any good? I got a few recommendations for them and they're the cheapest of the three.BranKetra
HD280s have a good reputation and would probably not disappoint :)
#-36 Posted by BranKetra (48426 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]The M50s look good. Are the HD280 any good? I got a few recommendations for them and they're the cheapest of the three.DivergeUnify

Thanks for the input. Although the HD280s seem to be good for the price, I'll probably go to a store to test them all out. Hopefully a nearby Best Buy will have some in stock.

#-35 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -

Any recommendations?

BranKetra
I'd consider the Shure SRH750DJ, which you can find on Amazon for ~$110. It should be a decent upgrade over the two you listed at its price point. It's portable, it's frequency response graph is flatter (though it is a bit bass-heavy), often compared to the Audio Technica M50's, and well-reviewed. You can check out the opinions on Amazon and Head-Fi: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH750-DJ-Headphones-Black/dp/B002PAQYK8 http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh750-dj-headphones-black Good luck! Boz
#-34 Posted by BranKetra (48426 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bozanimal"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Any recommendations?

I'd consider the Shure SRH750DJ, which you can find on Amazon for ~$110. It should be a decent upgrade over the two you listed at its price point. It's portable, it's frequency response graph is flatter (though it is a bit bass-heavy), often compared to the Audio Technica M50's, and well-reviewed. You can check out the opinions on Amazon and Head-Fi: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH750-DJ-Headphones-Black/dp/B002PAQYK8 http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh750-dj-headphones-black Good luck! Boz

"Shure." That's the brand name I was trying to remember. I looked around for some headphones a couple months ago. Shure looked the sleekest out of the three brands. I'm headed to Best Buy today. Thanks.
#-33 Posted by BranKetra (48426 posts) -
@Boz: Also, thanks for that website bro. I didn't realize what it was until I went back to it tonight. That's a gold mine.
#-32 Posted by Loegi (1692 posts) -
I'm looking for some new headphones for about 80 to 120 Euros (which would roughly translate to $80 to $120 i guess), and I can't find the ones in that range from the faq except the Sennheiser PX200 II. There has to be something a bit better towards the 120 dollars right? And the Sennheiser look quite uncomfortable too. EDIT: Just read the previous posts (sorry about that), and the Shure SRH750DJ got recommended. So are those good, or are there better ones that sacrifice portability, because I don't need that.

EDIT2: Also does anybody know where I could get these headphones in the Netherlands?
#-31 Posted by ehhwhatever (1462 posts) -
These are the most comfortable headphones ever! The freq. response is excellent too. grab a pair while there still in stock. http://www.amazon.com/GE-23815-Ultra-Lite-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0002UB2IW
#-30 Posted by banzaigtv (99 posts) -

I just purchased the Philips O'Neill The Stretch white headphones for 50% off the original price at Best Buy. Better audio quality with HD sound and noise cancelling. It has an increased volume level compared to my old Sony headphones and that's great for PC games and movies. Sounds great with DTS-HD Master Audio on Blu-ray films and that's great since my DVD home theater system does not encode lossless audio or DTS. Great headphones for the price. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

#-29 Posted by BaraChat (3144 posts) -

People here seem to know a whole lot about headphones/headets, so I've got a question for you.

I'm looking for a "basic" headset that would, ideally, work on both PS3 and 360, wired or wireless (although I'd prefered if it was wired), somewhere around 50-100$, and 100 is pushing it. The girl at the store talked like anything Turtle Beach was the second coming of Jesus, and that Sharkoon is a very decent, and less pricey, alternative (those she was showing me were 69.99 I think). I'm not a sound freak or anything (I'm not paying 200$ for a headset anytime soon), but I like to hear properly since sound/music can make or break a game for me.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT : I think it was the Xtatic SP model, which is 69,99$.

#-28 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]The M50s look good. Are the HD280 any good? I got a few recommendations for them and they're the cheapest of the three.DivergeUnify

No, no no NO!!! I bought the HD 280s years ago and, for a while, I deluded myself into thinking they sounded good. Now that I have some actually good headphones, I never use my 280s anymore because they're garbage for music listening. Everything sounds wrong. If you want my advice, pay the extra cash for the M50s. I have those too and those are amazing, top to bottom.
#-27 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26126 posts) -

Are there any earbuds in the $30-40~ range that have a mic also? Lost my pair of Samsung earbuds that I used with my Captivate so I need something with a mic.

#-26 Posted by agpickle (3293 posts) -
Just ordered a pair of JVC HARX900's for $56, good buy?
#-25 Posted by skyrim55 (2 posts) -
I know nothing about headphones and I am looking to buy a pair as a gift. They would be used ONLY for PC gaming. Any advice? Thanks!
#-24 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26126 posts) -

I know nothing about headphones and I am looking to buy a pair as a gift. They would be used ONLY for PC gaming. Any advice? Thanks!skyrim55

Closed headphones if the person doesn't want others to hear or open for some better quality. I use the Sennheiser HD555s, which are open back, and I recommend them all the time. Sound great, stupidly easy to mod into the HD595s without buying anything, and don't break the bank. They aren't bass-heavy though, so you must look elsewhere for that. Usually closed-back headphones have a better emphasis on bass.

#-23 Posted by Silos911 (615 posts) -

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a different request. Anyone have any advice for durable earbuds? I have gone through four or five sets of earbuds in the last seven months. I don't care about sound quality, in fact my last set was from a "3DS starter kit". I wasn't expecting great quality in sound or durability, and didn't get durability. The sound quality was probably awful but I don't care in the slightest considering I don't really have an ear for sound quality, I just want something durable.

I don't know what a price range would look like for a set of earbuds that's durable, especially considering the sound quality doesn't matter, so I don't really know what I would be willing to pay. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

#-22 Posted by skyrim55 (2 posts) -
Thanks!... yea I heard good things about those. What about if I want a mic with it?
#-21 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26126 posts) -

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a different request. Anyone have any advice for durable earbuds? I have gone through four or five sets of earbuds in the last seven months. I don't care about sound quality, in fact my last set was from a "3DS starter kit". I wasn't expecting great quality in sound or durability, and didn't get durability. The sound quality was probably awful but I don't care in the slightest considering I don't really have an ear for sound quality, I just want something durable.

I don't know what a price range would look like for a set of earbuds that's durable, especially considering the sound quality doesn't matter, so I don't really know what I would be willing to pay. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Silos911

The most durable earbuds I've had are actually the crappy ones that came with my Captivate phone. Don't sound very good, but they're the only pair of earbuds that've lasted longer than 3 months and not been ripped apart. :lol:

Try out some earbuds from Klipsch or Sennheiser.

Thanks!... yea I heard good things about those. What about if I want a mic with it?skyrim55

They're very good headphones. Get the Zalman mic that has a link on the first post.

#-20 Posted by SocialMonster (1 posts) -
Hey everyone, Big Sale at the Monster Cable Outlet Store! Hey Everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I'm an employee at Monster and just wanted to inform you all of a huge sale we've got going on at our Outlet Store (www.monstercable.com/outletstore). You can save up to 70% off of refurbished Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, Monster headphones and accessories AND receive free shipping by entering the promo code below: Coupon Code: fs123111f4rum Promo is good now until the end of the year. Hope you guys find some great stuff and appreciate you for letting us post on your forum. Take care, Monster
#-19 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -
@SocialMonster - Advertising is prohibited in the Gamespot Forums. Happy gaming, Boz
#-18 Posted by kraken2109 (13027 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]@SocialMonster - Advertising is prohibited in the Gamespot Forums. Happy gaming, Boz

Also Beats are terrible...
#-17 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Bozanimal"]@SocialMonster - Advertising is prohibited in the Gamespot Forums. Happy gaming, Boz

Also Beats are terrible...

70 percent off a pair of Beats is a great deal to be perfectly honest
#-16 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7384 posts) -

^I have a hard time believing 70% off is legit o.o Even if its real Ill just raid a bunch and ebay that off for a real set of cans!

Hey Boz, mind expanding your recommendation list on the models on your first post.

#-15 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -

^I have a hard time believing 70% off is legit o.o Even if its real Ill just raid a bunch and ebay that off for a real set of cans!

Hey Boz, mind expanding your recommendation list on the models on your first post.

Bikouchu35
I'd have to have a pretty compelling reason to expand what is already a pretty big list of headphones. There are a ton of great headphones out there, but flooding the list would dilute its value. That said, if there is a compelling reason to add something I omitted, I'm all ears! Happy gaming, Boz
#-14 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Any reason I'm not seeing electrostatics in the list? Prices too high, perhaps? The only issue is that Stax doesn't come cheap. (Neither does the Koss ESP/950.) Even vintage systems like the one in the background will run at least $250, not including the speaker amp needed to drive a transformer box like that. Those with standalone amps are even more expensive. In fact, the main reason why they're so expensive is the amplifier requirement; the good ones can easily cost as much or more than the headphones themselves. Also, there's no mention of the AntLion ModMic in the original post. It's a relatively new product, one I have not tried yet, but it definitely seems promising, given that it's the first mic I've seen that is outright designed to attach to any headphone the user desires without extensive modification.
#-13 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]Any reason I'm not seeing electrostatics in the list? Prices too high, perhaps? The only issue is that Stax doesn't come cheap. (Neither does the Koss ESP/950.) Even vintage systems like the one in the background will run at least $250, not including the speaker amp needed to drive a transformer box like that. Those with standalone amps are even more expensive. In fact, the main reason why they're so expensive is the amplifier requirement; the good ones can easily cost as much or more than the headphones themselves. Also, there's no mention of the AntLion ModMic in the original post. It's a relatively new product, one I have not tried yet, but it definitely seems promising, given that it's the first mic I've seen that is outright designed to attach to any headphone the user desires without extensive modification.

I think you answered your own question.
#-12 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
I think you answered your own question.DivergeUnify
In retrospect, I did. Browsing Head-Fi for a while kind of distorts your view on headphones, makes you think that $200 headphones are budget offerings and buying amps equally as expensive for the things is normal...
#-11 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]I think you answered your own question.NamelessPlayer
In retrospect, I did. Browsing Head-Fi for a while kind of distorts your view on headphones, makes you think that $200 headphones are budget offerings and buying amps equally as expensive for the things is normal...

I pretty much stopped going to head-fi, and had my friend change my password for me because I would be on it every day reading about amps and headphones and trying to line up a budget for them. It feels good to be on the light side now :P
#-9 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7384 posts) -

Akg k240 mkii go bite yes or no? Or Ultrasones... for music and gaming.

I have a ath pro700mk2 that supposely sounds like m50 with stronger bass, bit better soundstage, but recessed everything else in comparison. Being warm and closed in characteristic, I want something with different but not the exact opposite of what I have. I tried the k701 and felt the sound was too cold and too little bass for my taste.

So I want better soundstage, better mids, vocals, and not slouch at bass vs my audio technicas I have right now, for music and gaming. I already have a fiio amp setup so Im good there.

#-8 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -

Akg k240 mkii go bite yes or no? Or Ultrasones... for music and gaming.

I have a ath pro700mk2 that supposely sounds like m50 with stronger bass, bit better soundstage, but recessed everything else in comparison. Being warm and closed in characteristic, I want something with different but not the exact opposite of what I have. I tried the k701 and felt the sound was too cold and too little bass for my taste.

So I want better soundstage, better mids, vocals, and not slouch at bass vs my audio technicas I have right now, for music and gaming. I already have a fiio amp setup so Im good there.

Bikouchu35
k240s sound great. if you're a basshead i don't know how they fair( i'm not so I don't know, I like the bass). They have nice sound stage and sound great with music.
#-7 Posted by Heirren (16829 posts) -

Not the greatest pair of headphones on the planet, but the official Sony Wireless Headset is on sale over at Amazon right now for $79.

#-6 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6028 posts) -

I have a pair of JVC HARX700's and I love them, but today my grandmother gave me an old pair of cans by Koss called K6-LC Headphones, I cannot find any information about these headphones. What year are they from? Anything I should know about them? They sound pretty decent for being from around the 60's and 70's.

#-5 Posted by RobboElRobbo (13668 posts) -
Thank you very much for this thread. I know next to nothing about audio so this helps a ton.
#-4 Posted by leopks (6 posts) -

I love this article it was so helpful. It really helped me understand to stay away from stuff I really don't like. Best article on the net so far in regards to the subject matter. Thanks!(I would have wasted money on cans with a mic)

I was born with type IV microtia (anotia and atresia). Basically I have no ear lobe or canal on one side (so ear buds are out) and deaf in one ear but I love good quality audio equipment and sound. Always have had component stereos in my car and home but have no expertise on cans.

Some questions though...

1.) So in general, "on the ear" is better than "over the ear right?" I mean if you had to choose. Cost and benefits? (I do not need to hear anything else, but are over the ear too bulky/heavy? How much is lost sound quality with on ear? )

2.) Can that mic conversion mentioned work for an iphone? I mean could you use the cans and a mic as a head set for your iphone(Cause all the iphone speakers mentioned on headroom are either buds or not highly rated) Plus it would be cool to invest in one pair that I can use for gaming, workout, and phone, versus buying cheaper seperate pairs. I have a PS3,Xbox 360 and Iphone 4S, so is there a pair of cans that I can use with all three? I know I need to use a converter because my iphone is goofy.

3.)Any of the cans mentioned can switch all the audio to one side? (probably not)I found a company that puts both left and right audio channel in one ear bud. I used one called Scansound. Not great but no complaints. It is good for working out but not much else(sport ear-bud). Haven't tried the competitior One Good Earbud, but they looked the same. It is better than cutting one bud off (cause of the deformity no ear buds can stay in one ear)

I really want to get a quality set of cans for gaming but would like to use it more than just gaming etc...

I really want to thank the people who put the time into it and this article and thread. It was super helpful.

I am getting close to narrowing it down to Grado SR 60i, Grato SR 80i, Sony MDR -7506, HD555(or 558s), M50s and HRX900. Waiting to find out if over the ear is better than on the ear. Is the 80 versus 60i worth the extra money? What about the SuperluxHD668B or Sienn HD448s/518s?Anyone know which of those is the most comfortable for the long haul per price range? (might sound the best but I want to keep them on my head)

Thanks Again!

Leo

#-3 Posted by Bozanimal (2483 posts) -

1.) So in general, "on the ear" is better than "over the ear right?" I mean if you had to choose. Cost and benefits? (I do not need to hear anything else, but are over the ear too bulky/heavy? How much is lost sound quality with on ear? )leopks

My first and foremost advice is to focus on comfort. You are going to want to try on headphones: Lots of them. If you've got microtia you probably want to start with over-ear headphones. On-ears actually sit on the ear itself. You've can see how they sit against the ear in pictures of the Grado 60i and 80i you mentioned. Over ears are going to sit instead around the ears, and usually do not touch the ear itself, meaning it may be more comfortable to have the headphone around your ears than on them, since your ears are not symmetrical. Now I could be wrong, you might find on-ears to be much more comfortable due to the shape of your ears; you'll never know without trying. If possible, find a local hi-fi audio store with a headphone rack and try some on. Otherwise search hard for a store with an excellent return policy. Note that over-ears are going to give you better sound isolation, meaning less sound will leak into the headphones, as well.

Consider the V-Moda Crossfade LP, which has memory foam cushions and are generally well-regarded. They are supposed to be super-comfortable, sit around the ear, and have great sound (if a bit bass-heavy). You can often find them on sale around $100 to $120. The more expensive Beyerdynamic DT770s are more expensive at around $200, but have excellent sound and are also amazingly comfortable. They'll fit around your ears no problem, and sit on a wonderful velour cushion.

I'd try the Sennheisers and M50s on before you consider buying. Depending on the size and shape of your head they may not be very comfortable. If the M50s are comfy for you, though, they're probably the best value in headphones out there, at the moment. I cannot speak to the Sony's you mentioned.

2.) Can that mic conversion mentioned work for an iphone? I mean could you use the cans and a mic as a head set for your iphone(Cause all the iphone speakers mentioned on headroom are either buds or not highly rated) Plus it would be cool to invest in one pair that I can use for gaming, workout, and phone, versus buying cheaper seperate pairs. I have a PS3,Xbox 360 and Iphone 4S, so is there a pair of cans that I can use with all three? I know I need to use a converter because my iphone is goofy.leopks

I do not use an iPhone (being a bit of an Apple-phobic), and cannot say. You'll have to do some Googling to see if there is anything that allows you to use regular headphones with a separate microphone. Initial signs point to yes.

3.)Any of the cans mentioned can switch all the audio to one side? (probably not)I found a company that puts both left and right audio channel in one ear bud. I used one called Scansound. Not great but no complaints. It is good for working out but not much else(sport ear-bud). Haven't tried the competitior One Good Earbud, but they looked the same. It is better than cutting one bud off (cause of the deformity no ear buds can stay in one ear)leopks

To be clear, I'm understanding that you basically want to convert all incoming signals from stereo to mono, meaning you are completely deaf on one side. By completely deaf, the audio canal does not function at all (meaning you cannot hear bass or any low-frequency sounds).

Most modern output sources allow you to use mono at the source but, if not, a small 3.5mm stereo to mono converter - less than $5 - will matrix the incoming signal for you. You should be able to get this adapter at your local Radio Shack.

Good luck, I hope you find the right headphone for you!

Boz

#-2 Posted by NVIDIATI (7663 posts) -

^Often people will sell their headphones at a low price if one of the drivers is broken. As you will only be listening in mono, this may work to your advantage and offer you better performance at a lower cost. Take a look over at Head-fi.org, I'm sure they can be of help. You may also find other users who are in a similar situation.

#-1 Posted by leopks (6 posts) -

^Often people will sell their headphones at a low price if one of the drivers is broken. As you will only be listening in mono, this may work to your advantage and offer you better performance at a lower cost. Take a look over at Head-fi.org, I'm sure they can be of help. You may also find other users who are in a similar situation.

NVIDIATI
I appreciate your response and insight, I never thought of finding a set of cans with one set of drivers dead. Wow, that is a clever idea.
#0 Posted by leopks (6 posts) -

Boz,

I really really appreciate all that you have shared with me. I know it takes time to read, think, respond and write your thoughts. I am grateful for all of your insight. You are correct, I almost completely deaf on my right side. No canal or drum, I get a little vibe from bone conduction but that is it. I am glad I am moving past my scansound solution. Comfort is a key decision maker. I am almost down to two; mainly the Sienn HD518s and V-Moda Crossfade LPs. Gonna see if the DT770s are worth the extra cash. I like good quality audio product, but at a certain point i cannot tell the different.

Leo