HDTV vs a High res monitor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sgac (434 posts) -

Now heres a question.  Dors a normal 17in LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024 not have a sharper/ icture( forget about the contrast ratio and that for a second) than say my Samsung 27in High def TV that has a native res of 1360x768.  I also have a 17in Digimate monitor and I use both for playing games on my PC.  I know my monitor isn't that High res but does an lcd monitor offer any noticeable difference over a decent HDTV for gaming?

#2 Posted by ZBoater (1855 posts) -
The issue with sharpness has to do with being able to drive a monitor at its native resolution (talking about newer LCDs and HDTVs, not older CRTs). All other things being equal, the more pixels, the better. The problem comes if your card/drivers are unable to drive that specific resolution (1360x768). If your only option is 1280x720, its close, but LCDs get fuzzy when you dont drive them at their native rez. The input options, refresh rates, contrast ratios, etc. will also determine picture quality. However, as a general rule, the more pixels, the merrier.
#3 Posted by sgac (434 posts) -
My HDTV has a native res of 1360x768 Contrst ratio is 2000;1 Inputs are VGA and DVI(although the manual says that DVI doesn't support PC function). I always prefered lower resolutions as I am partialy sighted and I always foud that turning up the res made the user interface on games smaller and harder to read. doesn't increasing the res mean that you can get more of the game world onscreen but the individual parts of the it(objects, UI etc) get smaller? See I wish Windows was like Linux where you can turn up the res and make the image sharper but the size of the icons etc stays the same.
#4 Posted by ZBoater (1855 posts) -
There are ways to adjust the Windows interface to have larger text and icons, but you are right, some game interfaces do not compensate well for higher resolutions. 1360x768 is not that high though, so you should not have a problem there. What video card are you using? Is 1360x768 an option in the resolution settings when you connect the HDTV? Also, when you move to Vista, the Aero interface scales very, very well on high resolution monitors.
#5 Posted by sgac (434 posts) -
I have a Ge force 6200LE (I know terrible isn't it my 7800GTX overheated or something and it was out of warrenty) So 1360x768 isn't that practical for most games , heck I can hardly play Oblivion like I used to even at 800x600. I'm thinkuing of getting a GeForce 8800 GTX soon when DX10 comes out but really does having anything higher than 1360x768 matter? the graphics look pretty much the same to me and are just as shrp as I want them so a Higher def screen looks like a bit of a waste of money don't you think?
#6 Posted by beex215 (1198 posts) -
I have a Ge force 6200LE (I know terrible isn't it my 7800GTX overheated or something and it was out of warrenty) So 1360x768 isn't that practical for most games , heck I can hardly play Oblivion like I used to even at 800x600. I'm thinkuing of getting a GeForce 8800 GTX soon when DX10 comes out but really does having anything higher than 1360x768 matter? the graphics look pretty much the same to me and are just as shrp as I want them so a Higher def screen looks like a bit of a waste of money don't you think?sgac
8800gtx is already out.. been out
#7 Posted by sgac (434 posts) -
I know but I meant when DiectX 10 comes out i.e. the games that support it's new features.
#8 Posted by ZBoater (1855 posts) -
I have a Ge force 6200LE (I know terrible isn't it my 7800GTX overheated or something and it was out of warrenty) So 1360x768 isn't that practical for most games , heck I can hardly play Oblivion like I used to even at 800x600. I'm thinkuing of getting a GeForce 8800 GTX soon when DX10 comes out but really does having anything higher than 1360x768 matter? the graphics look pretty much the same to me and are just as shrp as I want them so a Higher def screen looks like a bit of a waste of money don't you think?sgac
Its all a matter of preference. The higher the resolution, the sharper the images. I am playing at 2560x1600, and the difference (to me) is AMAZING. The images aren't necessarily smaller (although the HUDs are) but are much sharper. A 8800GTX to driver 1360x768 would be a waste. You want to drive that resolution to get the most out of your monitor, but a 8800GTX or the upcoming 8600Ultra are DX10 cards that can do that well and cheaper.
#9 Posted by ZeusH8su (179 posts) -
Besides size a PC monitor will always have a higher resolution than any TV.Monitors that run 1920x1080 are the equivalent of a 1080p image on a tv but you would be limited to 24/27 inch monitors max.
#10 Posted by Dust24311 (1212 posts) -
I've been running 1200p since 2001 (1600 x 1200). Take that console jockeys. :)
#11 Posted by sgac (434 posts) -
Well I'm not really all that bothered by resolution settings  I am happy to run at even 800x600 as long as I can turn up the quality settings to max in all the new games.  The reason I go for the Highend cards is more that I want to play all the latest games for a long time to come at Max quality settings but at a low resolution in fact I have always sat at 800x600 as I am frightened to go any higher as any previous GPU I had would have had problems with the Frame Rate see what I mean now?