Hddvd still being used?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
Just curios to see how many people actually still have a HDDVD player, and buy movies for it? I got the add-on for the 360 when it was 39.99 and came with 4 movies, which I thought it was worth it for the 4 movies alone(King Kong, Full Metal Jacket, Transformers, and Shrek the Third). I also find it appealing that u can get HDDVDs on Amazon for under $5, which is a steal , especially since a lot of them also come in combo format. I also think there is no difference in picture quality. I have a Samsung Bluray player and a PS3, and I don't see a difference at all in the quality of picture. Anyone else still buy movies for there player and are still getting enjoyment out of it?
#2 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

If you're a TRUE audiophile and videophile, you'll love EVERY single format, good or bad.

Whether its Blu-Ray. SACD, HD-DVD, DVD, CD, LP, Vinyl, D-VHS, LaserDisc, VHS, V-CD, DVD-A or whatever else!

HD-DVD is actually a pretty decent format, and in terms of 1080p picture quality, its certainly on par with blu-ray. However, they had only half the space of a blu-ray disc, weren't as durable and their sound bit rate wasn't as great as that of BD.

#3 Posted by Lach0121 (9788 posts) -

The only reason the sound was better on Bluray is because it can hold more space.

All they are is storage, there is no quality difference between HD-dvd,and Bluray in actual quality, just what all can be fit on the disc.

The bigger space on bluray allows for higher resolution, and higher bit depth, because it has more space.

You could literally get the same crap by having a 32gb USB stick... with the movie and sound on it. (but it would probably load much faster than the disc)

#4 Posted by Amster_G (4289 posts) -

I actually have a box full of HD-DVD movies. However, I don't have a player anymore. Must still be at my parents' house, though I have never bothered picking it up. I think the reason I used to buy HD-DVD movies is because there were a select few movies that weren't out on Blu-Ray (yet) and I wanted to see them in HD so bad.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -

The only reason the sound was better on Bluray is because it can hold more space.

All they are is storage, there is no quality difference between HD-dvd,and Bluray in actual quality, just what all can be fit on the disc.

The bigger space on bluray allows for higher resolution, and higher bit depth, because it has more space.

You could literally get the same crap by having a 32gb USB stick... with the movie and sound on it. (but it would probably load much faster than the disc)

Lach0121
While I agree that in the real world space is all that matters, theoretically it's also bandwidth. If you stored 5 seconds of ultra high quality video on a blu-ray, it might fit, but the bit-rate would be too high to play in realtime (copying from the disc to ram).
#6 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -

If you're a TRUE audiophile and videophile, you'll love EVERY single format, good or bad.

Whether its Blu-Ray. SACD, HD-DVD, DVD, CD, LP, Vinyl, D-VHS, LaserDisc, VHS, V-CD, DVD-A or whatever else!

HD-DVD is actually a pretty decent format, and in terms of 1080p picture quality, its certainly on par with blu-ray. However, they had only half the space of a blu-ray disc, weren't as durable and their sound bit rate wasn't as great as that of BD.

Mozelleple112
Yeah, Bluray does seem to be better in the sound department, with their "lossless audio". Nah, just kidding. I can't tell the difference at all, but it's a nice term they use. Had me sold.
#7 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

godzillavskong
Yeah, Bluray does seem to be better in the sound department, with their "lossless audio". Nah, just kidding. I can't tell the difference at all, but it's a nice term they use. Had me sold.

Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p
#8 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

Nope, not kidding u. I dont have a fancy 7.1 home theater either. I'm using a LG Bluray home theater, which is only 5.1. I noticed a lot of my blurays have DTS available, along with dolby digital, whereas most of my HDDVDs mostly have Dolby digital. DTS does seem a bit better, but nothing extreme. I guess if I were to have a higher end home theater system then I might notice it, but I can't really tell the difference right now. No kidding. Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

#9 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -

Mozelleple112

Difference when comparing HDDVDs vs Blurays in the sound dept that is. Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

#10 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
I hate when gamespot does that, and puts your quote inside someone else's post! Irritating.
#11 Posted by starfox15 (3966 posts) -

I'm really glad I stayed out of the HD war when it popped up. Frankly, I didn't have the money to afford it at the time and I'm glad there's just one dedicated HD option for the time being. Eventually it'll get replaced, but for now I'm satisfied with Blu-Ray discs.

#12 Posted by Innovazero2000 (3133 posts) -

Mozelleple112

Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

speakers and amp quality do play a factor, that being said even moderate speakers can pick up the differences. If nothing else there are no excuses in terms of telling the difference in dyanmics alone. HUUUGE difference. I still have an HD-DVD player (There are some that have the TrueHD DD lossless, but not many), every now and then ill pop one in. Solid format, very good picture quality. the VC-1 codecs they used were really nice.

#13 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"] Yeah, Bluray does seem to be better in the sound department, with their "lossless audio". Nah, just kidding. I can't tell the difference at all, but it's a nice term they use. Had me sold.

Difference when comparing HDDVDs vs Blurays in the sound dept that is. Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

I see. Makes sense then.
#14 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -

Mozelleple112

I'm actually planning a project for college on lossless and lossy audio which will involve a blind test, when I'm ready i'll post it on here and we'll see how many people can tell the difference.
#15 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"] Yeah, Bluray does seem to be better in the sound department, with their "lossless audio". Nah, just kidding. I can't tell the difference at all, but it's a nice term they use. Had me sold.

I'm actually planning a project for college on lossless and lossy audio which will involve a blind test, when I'm ready i'll post it on here and we'll see how many people can tell the difference.

Interesting.. I'll assume you'll use decent equipment? but I could spot the difference in any blind test be it TV vs TV, 720p vs 1080p (depending on size), speakers, amplification etc.. but not cables.
#16 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

Interesting.. I'll assume you'll use decent equipment? but I could spot the difference in any blind test be it TV vs TV, 720p vs 1080p (depending on size), speakers, amplification etc.. but not cables.

I'm investigating the effect equipment has on it too. I'm not quite sure how exactly the test for that will work though.
#17 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Are you f***ing kidding me?!? you can't hear the difference between compressed sound and lossless sound? the difference between DD 16 bit 640kb/s DVD audio vs DTS HD MA 24 bit 3000-5000kb/s Blu-ray is so damn huge I honestly can't stand DVD's in comparison :p

That's what I need, decent equipment.lol
#18 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] I'm actually planning a project for college on lossless and lossy audio which will involve a blind test, when I'm ready i'll post it on here and we'll see how many people can tell the difference.

Yeah.. You should really invest money in it... sound lasts for ever.. spend a good grand or two on sound and it'll sound just as good today as it will in 20 years time. The only reason people swap out more often is because higher salary = better speakers / amps etc :D
#19 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Interesting.. I'll assume you'll use decent equipment? but I could spot the difference in any blind test be it TV vs TV, 720p vs 1080p (depending on size), speakers, amplification etc.. but not cables.

Yeah.. You should really invest money in it... sound lasts for ever.. spend a good grand or two on sound and it'll sound just as good today as it will in 20 years time. The only reason people swap out more often is because higher salary = better speakers / amps etc :D

Uh, no. I will not be spending into the $2000 range for any sound equipment, no matter the quality! I'm sure there's a difference and perhaps it's worth it to some people, but I'm fine with my $249 Bluray home theater setup.
#20 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Interesting.. I'll assume you'll use decent equipment? but I could spot the difference in any blind test be it TV vs TV, 720p vs 1080p (depending on size), speakers, amplification etc.. but not cables.

Off topic, but did you really give AC a rating of 1.5 , and GTAIV a 1.0?! Wow! If so, it might be hard to take advice from someone with preferences like those. Just saying....
#21 Posted by rastan (1405 posts) -
I still have HD-DVD's (around 30). Quality was as good as blu-ray at the time, but like anything else as companies get used to the tech they can turn out better product if they feel like it (assuming they don't want to make it so good that they can't sell the deluxe version again two years later). I have a twice used 360 drive in a box, a Tosh HDA2 also almost new that's not being used, and my trusty LG BH200 combo player that I do use which can play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. It is an excellent player with QDEO processsing.
#22 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

Just found some one selling a Toshiba high end HD-DVD player... starting bid was NOK 500 (about $85).. I bid NOK 525,-

Its got 14 days left, I hope I get it :)

it includes 5 films too, and I don't have them on blu-ray so that's cool too.

#23 Posted by mariokart64fan (19377 posts) -

I honestly never bothered with hd dvds , blu-rays are the better format , but even then i dont notice much differents in many of my favorite movies of course its probably due to the fact that i use my ps3 , the only time i notice difference is disney movies the color seams better on bluray

the vhs vs dvd is bigger then the dvd vs bluray because there really isnt much different about it

#24 Posted by Innovazero2000 (3133 posts) -

I honestly never bothered with hd dvds , blu-rays are the better format , but even then i dont notice much differents in many of my favorite movies of course its probably due to the fact that i use my ps3 , the only time i notice difference is disney movies the color seams better on bluray

the vhs vs dvd is bigger then the dvd vs bluray because there really isnt much different about it

mariokart64fan
I can assure you there is a huge difference. You can achieve very solid PQ with DVD, but it's takes damn good processing and a display to do it. Put em side by side, and the differences become even larger. My wife thought the same thing for the longest time, but the more and more she was exposed to HD formats, the more she tended to agree and now much prefers it.
#25 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Innovazero2000
I can assure you there is a huge difference. You can achieve very solid PQ with DVD, but it's takes damn good processing and a display to do it. Put em side by side, and the differences become even larger. My wife thought the same thing for the longest time, but the more and more she was exposed to HD formats, the more she tended to agree and now much prefers it.

I don't know if it beats VHS to DVD though, digital was a big improvement
#26 Posted by Lach0121 (9788 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

kraken2109

While I agree that in the real world space is all that matters, theoretically it's also bandwidth. If you stored 5 seconds of ultra high quality video on a blu-ray, it might fit, but the bit-rate would be too high to play in realtime (copying from the disc to ram).

True, Space is only half the story, your right about the other half being transfer rate (in all cases)... Much like trying to watch a Hi-def video streaming over a connection that just can't handle it.

#27 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

mariokart64fan
whaaat? DVD quality is so bad I can't even watch one anymore VHS vs "random" DVD player displaying a DVD in 720x480p = not that much difference in PQ IMO, especially if viewed on a CRT. DVD on "random" DVD player vs blu-ray quality is a HUGE difference! its like 2 million pixels against 500K, and especially when viewed on a flat screen the difference is night and day.. Now a DVD played on an Oppo BDP 93/95/103/105 or Cambridge 651/751 upscaling them to 1080p at almost BD-quality.. the difference is VERY subtle, but still around the same level as VHS --> DVD. LaserDisc was a really cool format too, I miss that :(
#28 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Mozelleple112
whaaat? DVD quality is so bad I can't even watch one anymore VHS vs "random" DVD player displaying a DVD in 720x480p = not that much difference in PQ IMO, especially if viewed on a CRT. DVD on "random" DVD player vs blu-ray quality is a HUGE difference! its like 2 million pixels against 500K, and especially when viewed on a flat screen the difference is night and day.. Now a DVD played on an Oppo BDP 93/95/103/105 or Cambridge 651/751 upscaling them to 1080p at almost BD-quality.. the difference is VERY subtle, but still around the same level as VHS --> DVD. LaserDisc was a really cool format too, I miss that :(

But nobody uses CRTs anymore, and VHS analogue looks so bad on any modern screen. ew 480i...
#29 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Mozelleple112
Mozelle do different video formats make the audio better or worse?
#30 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Wolfetan

Uhhh, that depends on the format. Blu-rays are (so far) the greatest physical format for audio quality, as they allow up to 24 bit 192khz and DTS-HD MA up to 25 Mb/s (25,000 Kb/s!) OR LPCM @ 20Mb/s or so. HD DVDs, support 1080p video like blu-rays, but their sound quality is capped at 24 bit 96khz and around half the bit rate.... Not that it really matters since it still supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD. Then you have for instance D-VHS which does support 1080i and 720p video and near BD/HDDVD fidelity, but the audio I believe was regular Dolby Digital 16 bit/48khz 640Kb/s.. but I'm not sure.. SACD = Super Audo CD which is multi channel CDs (surround) I believe supports sound quality similar to FLAC/ALAC/WAV.. all of which are lossless formats that are 24 bit / 96-192khz 1000-5000Kb/s HD CDs.. I don't know but I guess the name is self explanatory... DVDs offer slightly better than CD quality (16 bit, 44hz 640Kbps DD or DTS) As for Laser Disc, vinyl, V-CD, DVD-A I don't know.. CD quality is 16 bit 44khz. typicall around 320Kbps.
#31 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1663 posts) -

The sad thing is that an upscaled DVD is indistinguishable from a lot of the HD channels I get. Compression blocks in every frame kill the point of having extra pixels.

Blu ray is the only way.

#32 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

Uhhh, that depends on the format. Blu-rays are (so far) the greatest physical format for audio quality, as they allow up to 24 bit 192khz and DTS-HD MA up to 25 Mb/s (25,000 Kb/s!) OR LPCM @ 20Mb/s or so. HD DVDs, support 1080p video like blu-rays, but their sound quality is capped at 24 bit 96khz and around half the bit rate.... Not that it really matters since it still supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD. Then you have for instance D-VHS which does support 1080i and 720p video and near BD/HDDVD fidelity, but the audio I believe was regular Dolby Digital 16 bit/48khz 640Kb/s.. but I'm not sure.. SACD = Super Audo CD which is multi channel CDs (surround) I believe supports sound quality similar to FLAC/ALAC/WAV.. all of which are lossless formats that are 24 bit / 96-192khz 1000-5000Kb/s HD CDs.. I don't know but I guess the name is self explanatory... DVDs offer slightly better than CD quality (16 bit, 44hz 640Kbps DD or DTS) As for Laser Disc, vinyl, V-CD, DVD-A I don't know.. CD quality is 16 bit 44khz. typicall around 320Kbps.

CD is 16-bit 44.1khz at 1411kbps and DVDs can do 24-bit 48khz
#33 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Mozelle do different video formats make the audio better or worse?kraken2109

@ DVDs.. Well so they can :O still DVDs are no where near BD/HD DVD sound.. :P @ CDs.. Yet people advertise 320Kbps streams/Mp3s as "cd quality".. Damn marketing.
#34 Posted by kraken2109 (13005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Uhhh, that depends on the format. Blu-rays are (so far) the greatest physical format for audio quality, as they allow up to 24 bit 192khz and DTS-HD MA up to 25 Mb/s (25,000 Kb/s!) OR LPCM @ 20Mb/s or so. HD DVDs, support 1080p video like blu-rays, but their sound quality is capped at 24 bit 96khz and around half the bit rate.... Not that it really matters since it still supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHD. Then you have for instance D-VHS which does support 1080i and 720p video and near BD/HDDVD fidelity, but the audio I believe was regular Dolby Digital 16 bit/48khz 640Kb/s.. but I'm not sure.. SACD = Super Audo CD which is multi channel CDs (surround) I believe supports sound quality similar to FLAC/ALAC/WAV.. all of which are lossless formats that are 24 bit / 96-192khz 1000-5000Kb/s HD CDs.. I don't know but I guess the name is self explanatory... DVDs offer slightly better than CD quality (16 bit, 44hz 640Kbps DD or DTS) As for Laser Disc, vinyl, V-CD, DVD-A I don't know.. CD quality is 16 bit 44khz. typicall around 320Kbps.

@ DVDs.. Well so they can :O still DVDs are no where near BD/HD DVD sound.. :P @ CDs.. Yet people advertise 320Kbps streams/Mp3s as "cd quality".. Damn marketing.

Everyone lies. Well, there's also the fact that CDs don't need to be 1411kbps, they're just uncompressed. You can losslessly compress most must to below 1000kbps, most of my FLACs are 800-900kbps.
#35 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

Mozelleple112

Hm, interesting. Thanks!
#36 Posted by KlownMaster (2291 posts) -
The only HD films I own are HD-DVD's.
#39 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Mozelle, you seem to know a lot about DVD and CD stuff. Do you happen to know any good budget CD players?($400 or less?)

#40 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

Mozelle, you seem to know a lot about DVD and CD stuff. Do you happen to know any good budget CD players?($400 or less?)

Wolfetan
I would look at the used market for good brands like Nad, Denon, Rotel, Marantz, etc.. but perhaps you're not into the "retro" 90s look? Modern CD players from typical electronic stores are just garbage, and ones from Rotel/NAD/Denon/Marantz etc are very expensive new.
#41 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

Wolfetan

Actually.. since you are willing to spend around $400 for a CD-player, (instead of buying $100 junk from walmart or sub $50 for something old and used)

You might want to consider getting a universal player instead?

Like the Oppo BDP-93 which is one of the best blu-ray players in the world as it has the most advanced Qdeo video processor, best upscaling chip, powerful power supply, 32 bit DAC of high quality etc..

Its basically an Oppo BDP-95 (the best BD player) without the XLR ports and second DAC for headphones/stereo/XLR.

Its CD performance ALONE makes it a great $499 player, so the fact that you are getting the most correct 1080p blu-ray images (colour performance, video processing etc) and some of the fastest loading times on the market is just a big bonus.

Oh and on top of that, it isn't just a BD/DVD/CD player, but also SACD and DVD-audio, as well as Netflix capable, and will stream FLAC/WAV etc.

Oops, I almost forgot that they stopped making the Oppo-93 in favour of the all-new Oppo BDP-103, which retails for the same price (!) $499!

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

If $499 is absolutely too much, you could try looking for used Oppo BDP93s.. They should sell them for under $400 if the new 103 is being sold for $500 new..

Blu-ray-BDP-103_home.gif

I'm pretty sure it uses the same DAC, Qdeo processor, scaling chip, motherboard etc as the 93, what's new is pretty much only BD-performance (2D --> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc.. There are 2 usb ports so you can connect up to 2 HDDs at once

Yet another bonus is the extremely well made design of the Oppo 103, in purely brushed metal and a fine remote with backlit keys.

#42 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1663 posts) -

sjff_01_img0509.jpg

Will it also make sandwiches?

It sounds pretty awesome, but how many people can notice the difference between a good upscaler, and the best? Most people can't even notice the difference between flac and 320kb/s mp3.

Seems like somthing you could only fully appreciate if you had a $20,000+ setup.

#43 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

Mozelleple112

Actually.. since you are willing to spend around $400 for a CD-player, (instead of buying $100 junk from walmart or sub $50 for something old and used)

You might want to consider getting a universal player instead?

Like the Oppo BDP-93 which is one of the best blu-ray players in the world as it has the most advanced Qdeo video processor, best upscaling chip, powerful power supply, 32 bit DAC of high quality etc..

Its basically an Oppo BDP-95 (the best BD player) without the XLR ports and second DAC for headphones/stereo/XLR.

Its CD performance ALONE makes it a great $499 player, so the fact that you are getting the most correct 1080p blu-ray images (colour performance, video processing etc) and some of the fastest loading times on the market is just a big bonus.

Oh and on top of that, it isn't just a BD/DVD/CD player, but also SACD and DVD-audio, as well as Netflix capable, and will stream FLAC/WAV etc.

Oops, I almost forgot that they stopped making the Oppo-93 in favour of the all-new Oppo BDP-103, which retails for the same price (!) $499!

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

If $499 is absolutely too much, you could try looking for used Oppo BDP93s.. They should sell them for under $400 if the new 103 is being sold for $500 new..

Blu-ray-BDP-103_home.gif

I'm pretty sure it uses the same DAC, Qdeo processor, scaling chip, motherboard etc as the 93, what's new is pretty much only BD-performance (2D --> 3D conversion, 4K upscaling, etc.. There are 2 usb ports so you can connect up to 2 HDDs at once

Yet another bonus is the extremely well made design of the Oppo 103, in purely brushed metal and a fine remote with backlit keys.

Forgot to mention, I'll be using these with headphones. But I already have a DAC for reference(JDS Labs ODAC). Also, somebody on Head-Fi recommended a used Denon 3910. Heard of it?

#44 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6624 posts) -

Will it also make sandwiches?

It sounds pretty awesome, but how many people can notice the difference between a good upscaler, and the best? Most people can't even notice the difference between flac and 320kb/s mp3.

Seems like somthing you could only fully appreciate if you had a $20,000+ setup.

6_Dead_360s

Here's Hometheater's review:

1212oppo3d.passfail.jpg

5/5 star product for sure, passed every test.

Haha no doubt! You'll need a critical eye to see the difference between completely correct colours (Oppo) and near correct colours (a similar blu-ray), but with all features combined, it honestly doesn't take a lot. The fact that it can make DVDs NOT look like sh!t like a PS3/DVD player/cheap BD player does and actually make them look quite nice is amazing if you ask me. Oh and it has the best customer service in the business too, a lot of people on AVforums can't stop complimenting them.

$20,000 is a bit much.. I'd say.. if you spend $2000+ on a display, $3000 on a 5.1 surround, $2500 for all electronic components (DAC/receiver/amplification) Which is well under 10K.. the next logical upgrade would be to swap out your standard PS3/LG/Samsung blu-ray player with a quality player like the Oppo 103. If your equipment is worth less than that, your money would be better spend on a new D/A converter, a pre-amp or better front speakers for example. But yes, any one with a $20,000-$50,000 cinema will definitely have an Oppo 93/103/95/105 OR Cambridge 651/751 player, sure there are players costing $17,000 and $135,000 but that's only because they're gold plated and diamond coated. Oppo players can find themselves in $5000 cinemas on a budget or $10 million no comprimise JVC 8K HD / 100,000 watt 12.12 Snell THX Reference rooms!