Hard Reset or Shadow warrior?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Hard Reset or Shadow warrior? (33 votes)

Hard Reset 39%
Shadow Warrior 61%

So which is better? to me they both are excellent games but Shadow warrior by quite fair margin. it has more variety. Hard reset was too short and didnot have much of variety. shadow warrior as easily best game of 2013.

• 
xdrjx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xdrjx
Member since 2004 • 56 Posts

Did not play Hard Reset so could not vote, but SW was a very pleasant surprise. A least they tried to put up a game resembling the old one, even though I found it way to linear in terms of level design.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I doubt Shadow Warrior is the best game of 2013 but that's your opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Didn't play SW but Hard Reset was cool

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hard Reset has a downloadable demo (part of the first level) floating around the Web if you want to try it out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

Hard Reset is kind of the Darksouls of FPS. A very high, but fair difficulty.

Some people may say "oh you just shoot stuff". But on the highest difficulty, you do need to think. It becomes mini battle arenas with various enemy types. As far as gameplay goes, that is better imo. It's a fantastic title of you enjoy fair challenge.

Shadow Warrior is a fantastic but significantly easier game. It had a much better story (Hard Reset barely has one) a sense of humor and varous interesting enemy types like Hard Reset. It also has a focus on melee unlike Hard Reset. You can use guns but changes are most of the time, you will be using the sword and it's various powers.

Both of these titles (as stated) feature enemy "types". It's not like bad shooters today in which Arab or Russian people run at you in a line. Also features light RPG elements in which you can focus on a particular play style. Both games also reward exploration with secret area's and eastereggs.

If you enjoy being challenged I'd go with Hard Reset, for me, I enjoyed that more, otherwise I'd go with Shadow Warrior as overall, it's the better game.

These are good FPS, not the dribble we get from consoles.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I enjoyed Hard Reset more.. I found the setting a lot more appealing and the guns more fun to shoot.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Both good games but Shadow Warrior was the better game IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Hard Reset over Shadow Warrior ? What are you guys smoking ? Bordom-juana ?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Both are enjoyable, the guns in Hard Reset were better but everything else was better in Shadow Warrior.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

I complete hard reset in my second playthrough. waay too short.

Shadow warrior on other hand has decent length for FPS.

and btw how is new wolfenstein? im thinking of giving it a try. didnot played it yet.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

Its about 50/50 for me. Both games were very good.

I liked most of the weapons from SW but some from the original SW were better (but not the sword the sword is clearly better on this current SW). The 2-weapon setup in HR was cool, so I liked it as well!

The setting/atmosphere I give to HR, as I prefer that atmosphere. Although there were some really nice parts in SW.

The level design, and gameplay I would prolly give to SW.

Length I would give to SW. Though HR was at a decent length once the free expansion came out for it. Also HR was cheaper.

While SW had a few difficult battles, it really didn't feel as hard, or quite as challenging as HR.

Graphics were better in SW, and it seemed more optimized.

While SW had a few nice songs in it, I would have to say that the music in HR was overall better. (albiet it was "mostly" mixed better in SW)

So naturally I am going to be interested, and eagerly waiting to see what Flying Wild Hog's third game will be.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Quite honestly, I like the setting of Hard Reset better. Remind me of Bladerunner in the early levels.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Shadow Warrior is much better game . Hard Reset is fun in the beginning but becomes a bit repetitive later towards the end of the game . Shadow Warrior has more variety in level design , enemies , more weapons and production values are also higher .

Lo Wang and his Katana are also awesome . Best character of 2013 .

They'll have bigger budget for Hard Reset 2 if it ever happens ; it is going to be awesome .

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Cloud_imperium said:

They'll have bigger budget for Hard Reset 2 if it ever happens ; it is going to be awesome .

they should made new ip. hard reset doesnot need sequel or they should reboot another classic game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I totally agree with that opinion: Shadow Warrior is the best game of 2013

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@system-reboot said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

they should made new ip. hard reset doesnot need sequel or they should reboot another classic game.

Would be happy with a new IP, but I would also like a shadow warrior sequel.

I just can't get enough of that katana :P

@system-reboot said:

and btw how is new wolfenstein? im thinking of giving it a try. didnot played it yet.

I would say they are very comparable, Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein.

If you liked Shadow Warrior you'll like Wolfenstein and vice versa. These games focus on making the shooting as fun as possible.

And Wolfenstein is also a very decent length for a shooter: took me 15-17 hours

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

@PredatorRules said:

Must've been really shallow year for PC gaming, because I remember years in the past where games like Arkham Asylum were GOTYs

EDIT: I've just looked on "best games that went on 2013" and I've dug up some good titles such as: Metro Last Light, Saints Row 4, Devil May Cry, Rayman Legends, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider.

I'd personally pick any of those as better than Shadow Warrior IMO

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

@system-reboot said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Would be happy with a new IP, but I would also like a shadow warrior sequel.

I just can't get enough of that katana :P

It'll be stupid to not do Shadow Warrior's sequel . Actually they already set the stage for it , in the end of first game . Zilla escapes and Lo Wang must find him and settle the score .

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

You should spoil the game more for people who didn't read that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@PredatorRules said:

Must've been really shallow year for PC gaming, because I remember years in the past where games like Arkham Asylum were GOTYs

EDIT: I've just looked on "best games that went on 2013" and I've dug up some good titles such as: Metro Last Light, Saints Row 4, Devil May Cry, Rayman Legends, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider.

Played most of those, my top 3 of last year have to be:

COJ: Gunslinger, Company of Heroes 2 and Shadow Warrior. So it's clear that opinions differ on this matter :p

If I made a top 4 than Metro would be included.

I could say it's a shallow year for PC when all you listed are multiplats XD

@Cloud_imperium said:

It'll be stupid to not do Shadow Warrior's sequel . Actually they already set the stage for it , in the end of first game . Zilla escapes and Lo Wang must find him and settle the score .

True, the hoji story was done, but Wang still had a score to settle.

All they need to improve in the sequel are the boss fights, apart from that the game was excellent.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@PredatorRules said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@PredatorRules said:

shadow warrior sword play is probably better than batman hand to hand combat

and out of those games you mentioned. only good one is Metro. bioshock infinite looks good on paper but play like shit. terrible core gameplay, too much scripted and linear one liner. and tomb raider was simply uncharted clone. too scripted and cinematic.

Shadow warrior beat them all.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@PredatorRules said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@PredatorRules said:

Only one of those I managed to finish was Saints Row 4. Finished Shadow Warrior twice.

About the most comparable game is Bioshock Infnite, which, as a game, is shite in comparison.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

@PredatorRules said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@PredatorRules said:

Only one of those I managed to finish was Saints Row 4. Finished Shadow Warrior twice.

About the most comparable game is Bioshock Infnite, which, as a game, is shite in comparison.

I quite liked Infinite

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@PredatorRules said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I quite liked Infinite

I liked Infinite too, but it wasn't as good as previous Bioshock games

And as far as shooters go Metro, Shadow Warrior and COJ: Gunslinger > Bioshock Infinite

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@R4gn4r0k said:

@PredatorRules said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I quite liked Infinite

I liked Infinite too, but it wasn't as good as previous Bioshock games

And as far as shooters go Metro, Shadow Warrior and COJ: Gunslinger > Bioshock Infinite

COJ gunslinger was very basic game. play more like on rail shooter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup

Didn't like Metro either. Feels like Call Of Duty underground. Far too scripted. About 2 hours in, I was mostly watching rather than playing the game.

Bioshock Infinites gun play was very poor. That's why is play first person shooters.For engaging gunplay and challenging but fair difficulty. People say "oh, the story" If I want a good alternate reality story, I'll pick up the box set of quantum leap.

Shadow Warrior doesn't have any pretenses about trying to be art or a serous. It knows what it is and it's good at what it's trying to be. First class combat, varies enemies, secrets and so fourth.

I think the problem with many reviewers when it comes to these painkiller style games, these console casuals are on a deadline and barely give a shit about pc games, so they play on easy or normal, which will quickly make these style of games repetitive. If you aren't engaged from arena to arena due to "easy as **** mod" then it has no point. It's in the highest difficulties the nuances and flaws of games show best. Which is probably why shit like Assassins Creed scores so well with them.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

Didn't like Metro either. Feels like Call Of Duty underground. Far too scripted. About 2 hours in, I was mostly watching rather than playing the game.

Unlike COD. Metro actually have Pacing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@system-reboot said:

COJ gunslinger was meant to be arcady. It was all about getting a high score each level.

Just like Shadow Warrior was a throwback to the old Shadow Warrior and the Painkiller games...

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@R4gn4r0k said:

@system-reboot said:

COJ gunslinger was meant to be arcady. It was all about getting a high score each level.

Just like Shadow Warrior was a throwback to the old Shadow Warrior and the Painkiller games...

shadow warrior is much better game than painkiller was. i mean painkiller was indeed great but it has little to no variety, no pacing, just bunch of enemies come in. shoot and move to next room. almost no exploration at all.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k

@system-reboot said:

shadow warrior is much better game than painkiller was. i mean painkiller was indeed great but it has little to no variety, no pacing, just bunch of enemies come in. shoot and move to next room. almost no exploration at all.

Hmmm, true. In shadow warrior there is a lot of exploration. I mean I explored the levels a lot and still managed to find only 1/2 to 3/4 of all the secrets...

But Shadow Warrior builds on the foundations of Painkiller, so of course it's a better game. It's made by the same people too :p

I love those kinds of games, I should really play Hard Reset because I heard it's a lot like Painkiller too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

I tend to agree. Painkiller has great boss battles but the enemies tend to just run at you. They aren't very interesting.

Hard Reset had bull-tank enemies, area of damage enemies, mini mobs, air mobs, distance mobs e.t.c...

Shadow Warrior has the same for the most part. It also had the added incentive of enemies mutating and becoming stronger if you don't kill them fast enough.

Even Serous Sam, which has mostly enemies running at the player has more variation than Painkiller.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@system-reboot said:

Hmmm, true. In shadow warrior there is a lot of exploration. I mean I explored the levels a lot and still managed to find only 1/2 to 3/4 of all the secrets...

But Shadow Warrior builds on the foundations of Painkiller, so of course it's a better game. It's made by the same people too :p

I love those kinds of games, I should really play Hard Reset because I heard it's a lot like Painkiller too.

Actually, the secrets in Shadow Warrior are for the most part a fair bit simpler than the secrets in Painkiller, which sometimes required some rather bizarre exploitations of the bunnyhopping mechanics. City on Water comes to mind immediately.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@R4gn4r0k said:

@system-reboot said:

well bulletstorm was also made by same people and how bad it was. especially compare to painkiller.

hard reset is great game. but the problem is like in OP said. too short and repetetive. but its as good as of better than painkiller imo. if hard reset had pacing and variety like shadow warrior than it would be one hell of the game. because the setting was awesome and gunplay was better than shadow warrior. increadible weapons game had

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@system-reboot said:

well bulletstorm was also made by same people and how bad it was. especially compare to painkiller.

hard reset is great game. but the problem is like in OP said. too short and repetetive. but its as good as of better than painkiller imo. if hard reset had pacing and variety like shadow warrior than it would be one hell of the game. because the setting was awesome and gunplay was better than shadow warrior. increadible weapons game had

Well, some people left and some people stayed at People Can Fly.

The only problems that Bulletstorm had was because it was made for consoles first and PC second. The game was still much more enjoyable than all these generic modern shooters we are getting :)