Hard drive cooling! Please help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hamza_jedi (664 posts) -

Hi i really dont have a clue about hard drive cooling and why have it but i just heard of someone whos hard drive cought on fire so i want to prevent that.

Can someone please give me advise.

Many thanks in advance :)

#2 Posted by ZBoater (1855 posts) -
I must not get out much, but in the 20+ years I have been working on PCs, I have NEVER heard of a hard drive catching on fire. They get hot, but not THAT hot. If you are concerned about temperatures inside your case, fans are really the easiest way to cool hard drives. I am dating myself here, but I STILL have a Pentium 166MHz MMX (I actually cranked it up yesterday and played a little Crusader:No Regret on it) where my drives where generating a lot of heat. I rigged some fans in the hard drive cage area and hardwired them to the PSU. I am sure there are more elegant solutions these days, but keeping the case well ventilated should help with that problem.
#3 Posted by hamza_jedi (664 posts) -

I must not get out much, but in the 20+ years I have been working on PCs, I have NEVER heard of a hard drive catching on fire. They get hot, but not THAT hot. If you are concerned about temperatures inside your case, fans are really the easiest way to cool hard drives. I am dating myself here, but I STILL have a Pentium 166MHz MMX (I actually cranked it up yesterday and played a little Crusader:No Regret on it) where my drives where generating a lot of heat. I rigged some fans in the hard drive cage area and hardwired them to the PSU. I am sure there are more elegant solutions these days, but keeping the case well ventilated should help with that problem.ZBoater

Yeah i also agree that its mad for a hard drive to catch fore but someone is claiming that theirs did. lol.

#4 Posted by DeeJayInphinity (13415 posts) -
I've never herd of them catching fire, either. Something else must have gone wrong. Anyway, there are a few hard drive fans you can buy, but I'm not sure how well they work. You're better off getting some better and larger case fans, if you can.
#5 Posted by Wren28 (27811 posts) -
Between the hard drives and the front of the case, you should have space for a fan...I do, and my computer's nearly two years old (mind, I've upgraded the insides, lol)...If your mother board is fairly new you should have a connection on it for a fan...mine has at least three.