This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by s_emi_xxxxx (1054 posts) -
any guesses on when will HALO 3 release for PC Owners :D? i think 2009 or 2010 or may be 2011. not soon enough. :(
#2 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

If were lucky, never.

Or maybe Microsoft can make it their next big attempt get people to buy their new, even more worthless os.

#3 Posted by 1005 (3738 posts) -
My guess is either a few months or a few years, and it will no doubt be Vista only to try and force people to change from XP to Vista. Mind you i can see it being like Halo2, utter cack on the PC.
#4 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
when ms releases their next os
#5 Posted by bmaisey (324 posts) -

theyve said that not one line of code has been written for halo 3 pc. Does this mean theyll do it eventually? maybe. But itll probably be a while if they do. If they do end up doing it, they better do a better job of porting it than was done for halo 2, and it also better be available on the most commonly used os at the time. I doubt theyre stupid enough to try to use it to sell another os, since im pretty sure halo 2 did a fantastic job! (pity sarcasm is hard to express with words :P)

I fail to see how vista is worthless. Its a hell of a lot better than xp. I could tell that after using it for about 2 days.

#6 Posted by raven_squad (78438 posts) -

theyve said that not one line of code has been written for halo 3 pc. Does this mean theyll do it eventually? maybe. But itll probably be a while if they do. If they do end up doing it, they better do a better job of porting it than was done for halo 2, and it also better be available on the most commonly used os at the time. I doubt theyre stupid enough to try to use it to sell another os, since im pretty sure halo 2 did a fantastic job! (pity sarcasm is hard to express with words :P)

I fail to see how vista is worthless. Its a hell of a lot better than xp. I could tell that after using it for about 2 days.

bmaisey

Vista is an abomination for pc gaming except for its wonderful almighty ability to use dx10.

Personally, i like not needing another half a gig of ram over whata game would require on xp. i thought the15 or more ways to shut down were absolutely laughable aswell. I think vista was just a money making ploy on the part of ms, and the next os may improve functionality rather than hinder it. But im not gonna hold my breath.

#7 Posted by nutcrackr (12465 posts) -
it needs to be before 2009 if they want to make a decent go of it. not 2010 when nobody cares anymore.
#8 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

If were lucky, never.

Or maybe Microsoft can make it their next big attempt get people to buy their new, even more worthless os.

raven_squad
#9 Posted by smokeydabear076 (22105 posts) -
it needs to be before 2009 if they want to make a decent go of it. not 2010 when nobody cares anymore.nutcrackr
Yeah. If they are smart the will do it sooner then 3 years like they did last time. This time around they aren't waiting for Vista though so I guess it will probably come out sooner then before.
#10 Posted by Gator20 (81 posts) -
I hope they don't myself.
#11 Posted by psp-freak (528 posts) -
I thought the Halo series were OK games. If H3 ever comes out ill get it, but i'm not too worried if it never does.
#12 Posted by Jd1680a (5921 posts) -

Making this an x360 exclusive for the next two years is an attempt to sell more consoles. Tho I think anyone who would have bought an x360 would have bought it by now or a large number of customers already have it. Increasing sales of the consoles would be minor.

The reality is Microsoft is still isnt making large sums of money on selling their consoles. Most of the money is made by selling games and licensing. Im just having trouble seeing the point in making it exclusive only, when microsoft is losing out people who prefer to play games on their pc. Doing a dual release on both platforms isnt going to cause a huge exodus from x360 to pc. Much more people prefer x360 over PC. Still the number for PC players is large enough to not ignore by anyone. Microsoft would make more money if they were to sell on the pc.

I hope Halo 3 would be released within one year.

#13 Posted by jrhawk42 (12764 posts) -
Probably around 2010. If I'm not mistaken the contract for the halo series doesn't even allow for them to start working on a pc title for a year or so.
#14 Posted by PredatorRules (7399 posts) -
as far as i know it's the last game in the trilogy so...after earning lots of money from X360 users i think after 1 year it'll come to the PC, hopefully 1 year max - for their own good
#15 Posted by Baron_14 (1771 posts) -
Hopefoly never.
#16 Posted by ATLReppa770 (4208 posts) -
Is this going to turn into a OS war? Vista will take over, just like XP took Win2000 over.
#17 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -
Most likely with Vienna.
#18 Posted by BurnThisCity (391 posts) -

I've always thought that Halo3 is more like a signature game for consoles but not for the PC. I mean, when you talk about PC FPS the first games that usually come into people's minds are Half Life and Counter Strike! When you talk about Halo? What do you see? Xbox? Yeah, I thought so~~

~BtC!

#19 Posted by FunkWeasel (2508 posts) -
Hopefully it'll be as good as the Gears of War port is shaping up to be. If they throw in a whole new exclusive chapter and DX10, it'll be worth buying. Other than that, most people will be putting $200 toward an Xbox 360 over some lame OS.
#20 Posted by Herrick (4467 posts) -

Making this an x360 exclusive for the next two years is an attempt to sell more consoles. Tho I think anyone who would have bought an x360 would have bought it by now or a large number of customers already have it. Increasing sales of the consoles would be minor.

The reality is Microsoft is still isnt making large sums of money on selling their consoles. Most of the money is made by selling games and licensing. Im just having trouble seeing the point in making it exclusive only, when microsoft is losing out people who prefer to play games on their pc. Doing a dual release on both platforms isnt going to cause a huge exodus from x360 to pc. Much more people prefer x360 over PC. Still the number for PC players is large enough to not ignore by anyone. Microsoft would make more money if they were to sell on the pc.

Jd1680a

I don't know, mang. The vast majority of PC gamers seem to dislike the Halo series. Maybe it isn't worth it to put it on the PC for now, when lots of PC gamers don't want to switch to Vista. Hell, I like Halo but I wouldn't pay $50 for the third one unless it's at least 20 hours. If it were a Vista exclusive, I wouldn't get it until much later.

#21 Posted by ludadav (1485 posts) -
Probably in about 3 years
#22 Posted by Jd1680a (5921 posts) -

I don't know, mang. The vast majority of PC gamers seem to dislike the Halo series. Maybe it isn't worth it to put it on the PC for now, when lots of PC gamers don't want to switch to Vista. Hell, I like Halo but I wouldn't pay $50 for the third one unless it's at least 20 hours. If it were a Vista exclusive, I wouldn't get it until much later. Herrick

The reason Halo 2 didnt do well was because the game was old news. They used an old engine to encourage people to buy Vista.Just plain stupid and a bad business move. it was Microsofts own fault for Halo 2 not selling well on the PC. I didnt buy Halo 2 exactly for the same reason alot of people didnt either.

If Halo 3 was avaliable for PC now for $50, I would buy it. The game is on anup to dategraphic engine. So it doesnt look like im playing a game made two years ago. Halo3 having 20 hours of gameplay in the storyline, that is above average for most FPS.

It would be a smarter move for microsoft to put out Halo 3 within a year, it would sell way better. There would be a large multiplayer and modding community. It would be a big money maker for Microsoft. Right now at this point in time, there is just way too many games soon to be avaliable for PC. You gotCrysis, Gears of War, UT3 and all those other games coming soon.If Halo 3 was put out in April or May of next year, that would be a great time for Halo 3 to sell.

#23 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
#24 Posted by Tsunami23 (1352 posts) -
Seeing as how it got a 9.5 somehow, I'm pretty sure Microsoft is going to milk it for all it's worth...
#25 Posted by 0_Wii_Man_0 (919 posts) -

I thought the Halo series were OK games. If H3 ever comes out ill get it, but i'm not too worried if it never does.psp-freak

same.

#26 Posted by EXLINK (5719 posts) -
Bungie recently said that they hadn't written a single line of code for the PC version of Halo 3. So I'm guessing its going to be 2-3 years from now if built from the ground up or 1-2 years if it will be a lousy port.
#27 Posted by nutcrackr (12465 posts) -
bungie hasn't written code, guess that means a third party dev is working on it ;)
#28 Posted by Phelaidar (1290 posts) -
Why bother... they are going to make it DX11, Luna(or other stupid name for an OS) exclusive...
#29 Posted by Herrick (4467 posts) -

The reason Halo 2 didnt do well was because the game was old news. They used an old engine to encourage people to buy Vista.Just plain stupid and a bad business move. it was Microsofts own fault for Halo 2 not selling well on the PC. I didnt buy Halo 2 exactly for the same reason alot of people didnt either.Jd1680a

I doubt Halo 2 would have sold much better if it were a better-looking game. The fact that it was a Vista exclusive was the main problem. Well, that and because many PC gamers dislike the Halo series. Seems that way to Herrick anyways. Did the first Halo sell well on the PC?

If Halo 3 was avaliable for PC now for $50, I would buy it. The game is on anup to dategraphic engine. So it doesnt look like im playing a game made two years ago. Halo3 having 20 hours of gameplay in the storyline, that is above average for most FPS.Jd1680a

Ok.

It would be a smarter move for microsoft to put out Halo 3 within a year, it would sell way better. There would be a large multiplayer and modding community. It would be a big money maker for Microsoft. Right now at this point in time, there is just way too many games soon to be avaliable for PC. You got Crysis, Gears of War, UT3 and all those other games coming soon.If Halo 3 was put out in April or May of next year, that would be a great time for Halo 3 to sell.

Jd1680a

Good points though I'm not sure about there being a large modding community. I know I sound like a broken record, but most PC gamers don't like Halo. Every Halo thread I see on this forum is filled with people saying how overrated it is or how crappy the game is.

Edited because latest trick with these forums involves smushing words together.

#31 Posted by Herrick (4467 posts) -

Halo 2 did not do as well because it is Vista only not because PC gamers don't like Halo. That is just something you read on forums. If that was the case Halo 1 wouldn't be so popular up to this day. There are thousands of people playing it everyday and it has more players than COD2, FEAR and many more recent titles. That is strange for a game that is not liked and is 4 years old.

Deihmos

Ok. I don't have the game anymore and I never played the multiplayer. I mostly hear negative things about the game on other forums as well as this one. I'm surprised to to hear that there are supposedly thousands of people still playing the first one online, though from what I've heard, F.E.A.R. had crappy multiplayer so it's not surprising to hear that Halo is more popular online. Don't know about Call of Duty 2.

#32 Posted by eva89 (807 posts) -

well i havent try halo2 since its only for vista

im not gonna try it since theres only minor changes,unlike win2k to winxp.

#33 Posted by ATLReppa770 (4208 posts) -

Most likely with Vienna.Swiftstrike5

You do know that that's the codename and now it's being called Windows 7?

#34 Posted by Younggun135 (1853 posts) -
maybe in a couple years or so, or maybe sooner.
#35 Posted by zombieswhatever (114 posts) -

I've always thought that Halo3 is more like a signature game for consoles but not for the PC. I mean, when you talk about PC FPS the first games that usually come into people's minds are Half Life and Counter Strike! When you talk about Halo? What do you see? Xbox? Yeah, I thought so~~

~BtC!

BurnThisCity

I agree, it is one of those signature games for xbox even though its been for PC in the past... i think something would be taken away from the exclusivity of halo3 if it was released for PC now.

#36 Posted by RazorGR (1605 posts) -

If it was released for the pc soon enough I would probably buy it at some point If it's any good (I haven't really read anything about it to know if it's worth it) but it would be low on my priority list.

If it's released in a couple of years like Halo 2 I can't see why anyone would want it by then.

#37 Posted by Igac89 (35 posts) -
If they do by 2009 there is still a chance for the game if not....it's over
#38 Posted by DynamicDicks (102 posts) -
i love how everyone b**ches about vista....did u think xp was gonna be the end all of o/s's? hahaha u are all the same bunch that griped about going from 98se to xp so get over it! your a pc gamer so upgrade...hopefully halo3 never touches the mighty pc but only time will tell.....tell ya what, while you b1tch and cry over upgrading to vista, ill send ya some dx10 screeshots from crysis.:D
#39 Posted by estraka (54 posts) -
I hope never. PC already has the best FPS' out there. Why waste their efforts on clunky crap like Halo?
#40 Posted by Devillusion (28 posts) -

What ever happened to the days when PC versions of games were released first before the consoles? This is so backwards. Sign of the times I guess.

#41 Posted by doomsdaydave11 (1159 posts) -
[QUOTE="bmaisey"]

raven_squad

Vista is an abomination for pc gaming except for its wonderful almighty ability to use dx10.

Personally, i like not needing another half a gig of ram over whata game would require on xp. i thought the15 or more ways to shut down were absolutely laughable aswell. I think vista was just a money making ploy on the part of ms, and the next os may improve functionality rather than hinder it. But im not gonna hold my breath.

You have no idea what you're talking about... There has been barely a noticable difference between gaming on vista, and gaming on XP. All vista needs is some bug fixes, and games need patches that make them better compatible with Vista. At the end of the year when SP1 comes out, most problems will probably be fixed.

Dx10 is not very useful right now, but games like Crysis, CoH: OF, and maybe Starcraft 2 will have special dx10 effects that some gamers might find worth the money.