Halo 2 Requirements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by darkIink (2705 posts) -

The Games for Windows site has the Halo 2 PC requirements up. 

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Pages/Halo2forWindowsVista.aspx

They're pretty reasonable for most home PCs, but I just got a Dell 1501 laptop, and it has an AMD sempron 3500, at 1.8GHz. I have never played a PC game in my life, so I'm a n00b here.  The CPU has to be 2GHz to play Halo 2, so will my laptop be able to play it?  Or do I have to overclock it or whatever you call it?

#2 Posted by ProudLarry (13511 posts) -

Your CPU is fine. The listed CPU requirement is in reference to Intel processors.

But I'd be more worried about your video controller, which is only a Radeon Xpress 1150 (that's what Dell's site says anyway), and is very weak. You'll still be able to play the game, but you'll have to turn down video settings to get a decent framerate.

#3 Posted by darkIink (2705 posts) -

Your CPU is fine. The listed CPU requirement is in reference to Intel processors.

But I'd be more worried about your video controller, which is only a Radeon Xpress 1150 (that's what Dell's site says anyway), and is very weak. You'll still be able to play the game, but you'll have to turn down video settings to get a decent framerate.

ProudLarry

Hey thanks for the info.  Do you know if I could replace the graphics card with one I buy on my own?

#4 Posted by SuperBeast (13227 posts) -

Those requirements are actually pretty high for an XBox game, even for the much improved graphics.   I'm guessing the Live element may take up a lot of resources that warrant them though.    I believe I read a preview that mentioned a below spec PC still ran it fine on the lowest settings, which is basically the XBox versions graphics.  

Overall...  they're charging WAY too much for it.    I"m guessing the only people willing to pay full price for it will be console gamers buying it just to get some easy achievement points...    I might pick it up once it hits $20 if I'm bored one day.    

#5 Posted by ProudLarry (13511 posts) -
[QUOTE="ProudLarry"]

darkIink

Hey thanks for the info. Do you know if I could replace the graphics card with one I buy on my own?

No, you can't replace video cards in laptops like yours. Only very, very high-end gaming and multimedia laptops allow you to do that. 

#6 Posted by proteKYFM (272 posts) -
The Windows Vista requirement is just ridiculous, meh, Halo 2 wasn't that great to begin with anyways.
#7 Posted by onemic (5616 posts) -
Those requirements are way too high for a game that doesn't even look that great by todays standards.
#8 Posted by darkIink (2705 posts) -
Thanks for your insight proudlarry.  I agree that the reqs are too high.  Maybe it's for Live? or b/c of F-ing Vista.
#9 Posted by racer360 (2422 posts) -
Thanks for your insight proudlarry.  I agree that the reqs are too high.  Maybe it's for Live? or b/c of F-ing Vista.darkIink
id go with the vista part
#10 Posted by jamesgj (1190 posts) -
Dosn't seen to high to me Halo 1 recommends 1.5 Ghz or something like that and Halo 2 has alot more outside vast invirements improved textures etc...