Half Life 2 ; Orange Box-Visual update on PC .???

#1 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3624 posts) -

Hi guys . I wanted to go back to Half Life 2 . I haven't played Orange Box version of the game but I heard that they updated the visuals for console versions . Should I get Orange Box version of Half Life 2 .? Does it have improved (Hl2 ep2) visuals .?

I'm not looking for mods , just want the answer because I'm bit confused and can't find any comparisons between original version and Orange Box PC version .

#2 Edited by MuddVader (6321 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: The version you would get on steam would be the definitive version of Half Life 2.

If I'm not mistaken the reason there was an upgrade when the Orange Box came out was because Half Life 2 was already released on the xbox. The version in the Orange Box was for the 360

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16623 posts) -

I don't think there is. They did upgraded some games to the orange box engine, like Day of Defeat (which really didn't do anything) but Half Life 2, I don't think so, no.

You're best of with mods if you want a visual upgrade :p

#4 Edited by 04dcarraher (19666 posts) -

Orange box added HDR lighting and they improved the models and textures some.

Capturehl2

If you want a major graphics overhaul Download and get Cinematic Mod. While some of his changes may not to be to your liking his has options for changes for npc models,music etc. Once you use it you can never go back to vanilla HL2 graphics.

#5 Posted by General_X (9031 posts) -

They eventually released the graphics update for the PC about 5 years ago, so the PC version of the orange box would still be the best to get. (Though TF2 is free to play now, so you may look into buying the HL2 bundle and portal separately if it's cheaper)

#7 Posted by ferret-gamer (17319 posts) -

It doesn't matter if you buy it separately or with the orange box, all versions on steam get updated to the newest version with the same graphics. Look at the cinematic mod if you want to make it look even better

#8 Posted by Byshop (11605 posts) -

@ferret-gamer said:

It doesn't matter if you buy it separately or with the orange box, all versions on steam get updated to the newest version with the same graphics. Look at the cinematic mod if you want to make it look even better

This. The PC version gives you the most options, regardless of what minor enhancements might have gone into the various console versions. The Cinematic Mod in particular looks great.

-Byshop

#9 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3624 posts) -

@ferret-gamer said:

I know there is a way to ignore new models that come with cinematic mod and use old ones . Can I do the same with music and just install it for graphics only .?

#10 Posted by ferret-gamer (17319 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ferret-gamer said:

I know there is a way to ignore new models that come with cinematic mod and use old ones . Can I do the same with music and just install it for graphics only .?

Yes the mod has options to use the old player models and original music

#11 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3624 posts) -

@ferret-gamer said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ferret-gamer said:

Yes the mod has options to use the old player models and original music

That sounds awesome . Thanks for the info my friend . I think I'm going to download it today .