Guild Wars 2 - WINTERSDAY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -
#2 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
I will notepad this real quick... I haven't touched Guild Wars 2 for a couple of months now. I'll check in to see what's cookin'.
#3 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
Ad much as I was looking forward to GW2, I have to say that I agree with Elann. I havent been on in months. I would go on to check it out but meh, EVE has eaten my life up atm.
#4 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Ad much as I was looking forward to GW2, I have to say that I agree with Elann. I havent been on in months. I would go on to check it out but meh, EVE has eaten my life up atm. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Yeah. GW2 is a good game with some great aspects, but I cannot bring myself to get hooked on it. It feels to repetitive to me. I love the world though!

On paper, the game seems way better than 1, yet in reality I had a lot more fun with 1 and put way more hours into it.

#5 Posted by Maroxad (8084 posts) -

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Ad much as I was looking forward to GW2, I have to say that I agree with Elann. I havent been on in months. I would go on to check it out but meh, EVE has eaten my life up atm. NaveedLife

Yeah. GW2 is a good game with some great aspects, but I cannot bring myself to get hooked on it. It feels to repetitive to me. I love the world though!

On paper, the game seems way better than 1, yet in reality I had a lot more fun with 1 and put way more hours into it.

Same here.

I suppose a problem is that GW2 feels too floaty whereas GW1 felt more grounded. Another thing is that the skill design in GW2 is nowhere near as good as the one in the original. And as a result, skills felt less impactful and less powerful.

#6 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
I booted up GW2 the other day and just cant get back into it, was awesome for the first few weeks but nothing makes me want to keep playing it.
#7 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]Ad much as I was looking forward to GW2, I have to say that I agree with Elann. I havent been on in months. I would go on to check it out but meh, EVE has eaten my life up atm. Maroxad

Same here.

I suppose a problem is that GW2 feels too floaty whereas GW1 felt more grounded. Another thing is that the skill design in GW2 is nowhere near as good as the one in the original. And as a result, skills felt less impactful and less powerful.

To me, it felt like an aoe, spell, spam-fest. I don't see the mass appeal of having dodgeroll when the overall design doesn't compliment it. Wow, it has dodgeroll! Revolutionary MMORPG! Heh, that's why we have WASD keys to move and spacebar to jump. It's the design that goes with it that matters. The only neat idea I liked was the weapon skill system, but I (personally), felt limited. I like my huge list of skills to choose from and setup.

Other than that, I can't complain because the game has no subscription fee, and it gave me over 300 hours of gameplay in that first month alone. It was fun, but I can't get back into it unless they change the design, and that's impossible. I felt like Guild Wars 1 was far superior, and it had more direction and focus as opposed to GW2.

#8 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Elann2008

Same here.

To me, it felt like an aoe, spell, spam-fest. I don't see the mass appeal of having dodgeroll when the overall design doesn't compliment it. Wow, it has dodgeroll! Revolutionary MMORPG! Heh, that's why we have WASD keys to move and spacebar to jump. It's the design that goes with it that matters. The only neat idea I liked was the weapon skill system, but I (personally), felt limited. I like my huge list of skills to choose from and setup.

Other than that, I can't complain because the game has no subscription fee, and it gave me over 300 hours of gameplay in that first month alone. It was fun, but I can't get back into it unless they change the design, and that's impossible. I felt like Guild Wars 1 was far superior, and it had more direction and focus as opposed to GW2.

It's actually a really good game to help you fall asleep! :DIt's what I use it for nowadays...

It's also funny how as soon as I got interested in doing the dungeons, they introduced Fractals and since I wasn't able to be there when it launched, I'm left in the dust with the horribly fractured population now. Good luck finding a group that will do Fractals lvl 1.

As for the Wintersday event, I expect nothing more than lag / framerate issues. 3 months in a not a single optimization / improvements performance wise. Judging by how the other events were, I'm sure there's going to be a part of the event which we'll have over 100 people in a small area.

#9 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
could've linked straight to the official page :P i'm hyped. it looks adorable :P

Elann2008
dodge roll isn't that much of a big deal on regular PvE most of the time (except to get out of AoEs faster), but it's quite important in dungeons, and even more in PvP. in fact, i feel like the whole combat system was made for sPvP, then they built a PvE game that used it. the combat mechanics, customization and depth really shine in sPvP. PvE in large groups will always be about unleashing your best attacks, preferrably hitting as many enemies as possible, though. but on the bright side, the devs on the forums have been caught saying more than once that they want to (and are working on) restructure plenty of enemies to take better advantage of the combat mechanics.

It's actually a really good game to help you fall asleep! :DIt's what I use it for nowadays...

It's also funny how as soon as I got interested in doing the dungeons, they introduced Fractals and since I wasn't able to be there when it launched, I'm left in the dust with the horribly fractured population now. Good luck finding a group that will do Fractals lvl 1.

As for the Wintersday event, I expect nothing more than lag / framerate issues. 3 months in a not a single optimization / improvements performance wise. Judging by how the other events were, I'm sure there's going to be a part of the event which we'll have over 100 people in a small area.

trastamad03
that's why you have a guild. plenty of people on the guild are up for it, and we're rather active at night. if that fails, there's gw2lfg.com, though i've never personally used it.
#10 Posted by Allicrombie (25129 posts) -
Wow havent played GW2 in a LONG time.
#11 Posted by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -

could've linked straight to the official page :P i'm hyped. it looks adorable :P[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

BrunoBRS

dodge roll isn't that much of a big deal on regular PvE most of the time (except to get out of AoEs faster), but it's quite important in dungeons, and even more in PvP. in fact, i feel like the whole combat system was made for sPvP, then they built a PvE game that used it. the combat mechanics, customization and depth really shine in sPvP. PvE in large groups will always be about unleashing your best attacks, preferrably hitting as many enemies as possible, though. but on the bright side, the devs on the forums have been caught saying more than once that they want to (and are working on) restructure plenty of enemies to take better advantage of the combat mechanics.

trastamad03

that's why you have a guild. plenty of people on the guild are up for it, and we're rather active at night. if that fails, there's gw2lfg.com, though i've never personally used it.

Out of everyone in the guild, only one of the Grimms said they were interested, got no answer from any one else and last time I tried to spam LA with trying to get a group for FoM lvl1, I got suppressed for excessive messaging. Anyways, I've re-lost interest in dungeons atm. I just log in and run around doing the daily / explore a bit then go to bed.

#12 Posted by Wasdie (49628 posts) -

Are they ever going to address the literally hundreds of bugs with all of the classes stuff not working right?

#13 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Perhaps I'll check it but dunno, I want to at least finish some games of my backlog. Like almost everyone has pointed, the game felt great on first month but now it is kind of hard to continue playing.
#14 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

Are they ever going to address the literally hundreds of bugs with all of the classes stuff not working right?

Wasdie
that's handled by a different team entirely, and they've been fixing it.
#15 Posted by Maroxad (8084 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Same here.

Elann2008

The game being an AoE, spell spam-fest is largely due to poor skill design and the lack of any resource to manage unless you are a thief. I also agree with you regarding the dodge-roll. It was poorly executed. It is a good idea to be able to manualy evade attacks, but in its current shape and form it feels too much like a get out of jail card and a way to punish bad latency. There are plenty of examples of dodge moves done right, but GW2 is not one of them.

And Bruno, Guild Wars 1 was also designed with PvP in mind and that game had both more enjoyable PvP and PvE.

#16 Posted by Wanderer5 (25699 posts) -

Can't wait to try out the new area, and I will be excited when Tixx comes to Divinity's Reach and Black Citadel before heading to Lion's Arch.:)

#17 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Same here.

Maroxad

The game being an AoE, spell spam-fest is largely due to poor skill design and the lack of any resource to manage unless you are a thief. I also agree with you regarding the dodge-roll. It was poorly executed. It is a good idea to be able to manualy evade attacks, but in its current shape and form it feels too much like a get out of jail card and a way to punish bad latency. There are plenty of examples of dodge moves done right, but GW2 is not one of them.

And Bruno, Guild Wars 1 was also designed with PvP in mind and that game had both more enjoyable PvP and PvE.

I beg to differ. My time in GW2 is already twice as much as in GW, and i've had more fun with the former than with the latter. Not trying to dismiss GW, but outside of beating the story and grabbing guildies to run instances, there wasn't much to do that was fun. The PvP mechanics aged really poorly, and the (excellent) skill design was all that could hold it together.
#18 Posted by Wasdie (49628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

BrunoBRS

They haven't released any real fixes for 2 months.

#19 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

They haven't released any real fixes for 2 months.

they release the fixes alongside these major updates, and last week they had a balance update (which includes fixes). you can read the patch notes if you want to.
#20 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -
I enjoy it for what it is. It has the best looking, and living, world I have ever seen in an MMO. And the quest structure is very varied. Each quest is different from the other. Of course you get the old "Kill X amount, collect award", but with the variety of Vistas, Events, Quests and Storyline it makes those quests less boring. Some person here said it was too repetitive. I don't experience that when playing. Of course any game you play for 8hrs straight is gonna get repetitive, but for an hour or two every 1 or 2 days it's fine.
#21 Posted by FelipeInside (25314 posts) -