Guild Wars 2: So, what's the consensus?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
It's been around for a while already, so I'm wondering what's everyone's opinion on it. Is it worth it? Is it fun? Does the cash shop harm the game? Should I just wait for a price drop? Really, what's the community's opinion?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Seems like most people enjoy it but got bored of it after 1 week.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I like it, but I am not itching to play it or anything. I just bought Mists of Pandaria so will probably be playing that instead.
szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 szafto
Member since 2006 • 1389 Posts
I got bored after one day, refunded it. Started playing RIFT instead.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It's a pretty good MMO, probably tied for first in MMO's I've played. For the amount of time I played it was fun tell they nerfed exp from speed runs in dungeons and buffed mobs that didn't need buffed.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Personally I found it to be 'Meh'. It's solid in terms of production, everything pretty much works, but to me it's pretty bland and uninteresting. The game play quickly becomes a grind where you run the same handful of mini-events over and over to earn XP. Story is pretty generic, nothing beyond what we've seen in a dozen other MMO's. Classes are fine, again, nothing new. You got your fighter, your thief, your wizard, your ranger, your necromancer and your paladin and an engineer. They are all fine, none of them offer anything new or different. To me it feels kinda like TERA without the subscription and without the action combat mechanics.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I got bored after one day, refunded it. Started playing RIFT instead.szafto
how can you get a refund after using your serial key and creating an account etc?
szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 szafto
Member since 2006 • 1389 Posts
[QUOTE="szafto"]I got bored after one day, refunded it. Started playing RIFT instead.bonafidetk
how can you get a refund after using your serial key and creating an account etc?

I just contacted them on the official site and after a few days they gave me a refund! :p
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
[QUOTE="szafto"]I got bored after one day, refunded it. Started playing RIFT instead.bonafidetk

You ask Anet for a refund.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I think it's amazing. It never feels like grinding, even if it kind of is at times, but the game always keeps you moving and saying "hey, what's that over there" and doesn't feel like the normal quest system of RPGs or other MMOs. The combat is great and the visuals are amazing. And the fact it has no sub fee is excellent too.

One gripe I have along with many others, is that the game doens't explain things very well to you like for crafting etc.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Overall it's very good but it's had a pretty bad launch. SOOOOO many bugs, heaps of stuck content in the high level areas. The story is pretty bad and the final boss fight for the personal story is a complete joke. Crafting is confusing and by the time you figure it out you also realise it's a useless money sink. There's also things like money/items disappearing in the trading post, which ArenaNet have not even acknowledged. Yeah it's got a lot of problems, but I'm still managing to enjoy it.
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
I thought it was pretty bad. I guess I like a sense of progression in MMO's and guild wars lacked that severely for me. Also the WvWvW pvp was pretty weak, just huge zergs running around.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I think it's amazing. It never feels like grinding, even if it kind of is at times, but the game always keeps you moving and saying "hey, what's that over there" and doesn't feel like the normal quest system of RPGs or other MMOs. The combat is great and the visuals are amazing. And the fact it has no sub fee is excellent too.

One gripe I have along with many others, is that the game doens't explain things very well to you like for crafting etc.

seanmcloughlin

this

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I'm really enjoying it but the fact that Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 just came out this week is annoying, too little time to play!

It doesn't give me the same drive WoW did years ago but it's still a solid title. It takes some time to get into though. I thought it was boring until I got used to the game a bit more after some days and exploring a bit higher level area's.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Also cash shop does not harm the game in any way, any item on the cash shop is also purchasable with normal ingame gold !! wink.gif

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
200 hours in and still having fun with my main character. personal GOTY.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Great game for sure. The aspect of not paying a monthly fee helps a lot. If it had a monthly fee I would feel it is a need to play it everyday but without it I can take my sweet time playing other games.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I love it, the game is pretty much perfect in what it sets out to do. The only gripes I can come up with is the story feels too family friendly when the game itself is begging for something a bit more serious and there are some issues with bugged NPCs. Easily the best game I've bought at full price (i.e no preorder discount) since the Witcher 1.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I thought it was really good and I don't regularly play that much MMO. I love the emphasise in exploration and the landscape is just a beauty. Ran into a couple of bugged quests but overall I never thought I would be having this much fun in an MMO. 9/10.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
It's great but the world is not big enough and there's too much people at the same places. Also, the reward for doing stuff pretty suck most of the time since it has real money market to game currency conversion, they want to keep the inflation low but it makes it kind of a pain cause the longer you play, the poorer you are.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I'll keep it short, 300 hours in 19 days. Didn't finish it yet, been farming events (quite fun in this game, lots of chaos and such) and that is on one single character, my goal is a legendary, Twilight, it will take time, till then I'm trying to crack the mystic forge (I'll leave actual unknown recipes to other people, I'm doing probability games, just made 9 exotics in 15 crafts at the forge), so, it has something for everyone, except dungen and raid farmers, its instances aren't that great, same with PvP, the world however and what you can do in it, the mystic forge, the jumping puzzles, exploration, trade "games", etc, it's a fantastic game and it will universally win GOTY this year without anything in any genre coming close to it, by far the best and only MMO worth playing besides the solid WoW and niche but decent EVE.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Good, but not as amazing as some here make it out to be. The grind is still there, and latency issues sort of kill the PvP for me. I would give it a solid 8.5/10, considering it IS an MMORPG with no monthly fee.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Yes, great game.....check out my polls that involve GW2, should give you an indication:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29294505/poll-which-of-these-has-been-your-favorite-pc-game-of-2012-pc-versions

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29277410/poll-so-which-should-i-get-with-birthday-money-diablo-3-or-guild-wars-2

pretty telling

Diablo 3 in general was unceremoniously trounced in the 2nd Poll

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AFBrat77

It's great but the world is not big enough and there's too much people at the same places. Also, the reward for doing stuff pretty suck most of the time since it has real money market to game currency conversion, they want to keep the inflation low but it makes it kind of a pain cause the longer you play, the poorer you are.masterdrat

the world will get bigger, trust me, A-net will get it done

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Krelian-co

this

yes, I 2nd this, but I still haven't figured out crafting, I need to hit the Wiki

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#27 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's excellent. I've hit the cap, have mostly exotic/rare gear and Im still enjoying fighting things, exploring things and I am even uncovering things and traits about my profession that I am learning about. Even to this day, I am still not happy with how I optimize my mesmer clones at times - I drop a combo, or get an order mixed up or I do a poor Diversion shatter (I think that skill has one of the highest skill caps in the game).

In short: I am enjoying the game for what it is regardless of hitting the progression ceiling, and that's a good sign.

I want to do more sPvP, too and WvW, but I want to access areas and PvE content so that I can easily play with others as well as my friends who are getting the game after their semester is over.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The general consensus is mixed, some people arent that happy about it, especially the poor Dungeon endgame and gear progression at level cap. Others are unhappy about hte lack of trinity, others feel that WvW is a zerg (which probably implies they are doing it wrong).

As for me, I love it, and is easily my RPG of the Year.

I thought it was pretty bad. I guess I like a sense of progression in MMO's and guild wars lacked that severely for me. Also the WvWvW pvp was pretty weak, just huge zergs running around.Croag821

No one is forcing you to stick with the zergs.

In fact, Zerging is doing it wrong, there is a reason Zergs NEVER claim Stonemist Castle. Not to mention how extremely unefficient they are. I WvW a lot, and for most of the part, I am not in Zerg groups. Trust me, servers are only gonna get more organized as time comes.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Best MMO I've played in years, quite easily. It's a very good game, worth the cash especially if you actually are into MMO's. This is one that will age like a fine wine as well so it will only improve in the long run I believe.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
I never quite got the complaints about the game. Like grinding. What grind? I haven't grinded all game. The only time you grind is if you want to get a cool looking armor skin. Besides that it isn't necessary. Hell, levels don't really mean much anyways. I'm lv 30 and still having a blast playing everything including WvW. People need to stop worrying about leveling up.
Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Flawless MMO and it deserves 9.5 not 9.0 as GS reviewed. I think its one of best MMO's ever. Btw i am MMO RPG player started with Ever Quest 1999. So belive me one of best MMO's out there.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I suspect the motivation for a lot of the complaints isn't what is wrong but what has changed. Guild Wars 2 isn't your standard MMO formula.

For example, a lot of the long standing complaints about MMOs have been fixed. Loot stealing, kill stealing, resource node stealing are impossible in this game. If you help someone kill a mob you get credit for the kill and get to loot it. There is no need for a need/greed role. The game sees two people in the fight so it sees two lootable corpses. One for each person.

It address resource nodes in the same way as lootable bodies. All those resource nodes you see on the map are yours. Everyone else has their own.

Quests are much more organic. Instead of a bunch of lazy sobs paying you to do their job there are events taking place that you jump in and help out on. So what if they repeat, you do same quests a dozen times over in other games and your precious "end game" is nothing but overrated grinding. At least in this game it makes sense. Another run of beer to the local pub... this will happen a lot in the real world. Fend off another undead attack .. its not like they give up and go home. In Guild Wars 2 it feels like you are part of an active world instead of a set full of statues paying you to do their jobs.

Crafting does need a better tutorial. Here is what I've learned.

1. you can have two ... pick just one. The special components (claws, poison gland, totum, etc) are used in all the ones i looked at. Even with one you will end up buying some on the auction house.

2. Buy a scythe, pick, and axe ASAP. Pick up everything. The bank box is an acount box. If character 1 does not use it character 2 might.

3. Don't leave the level 1 - 15 zone until passing rank 75 in your crafting profession. The material needed up to 75 is only in the 1 - 15 zone.

4. reseach patterns. you will advance much faster. For example, basic bow - shaft + string + blood. Make 1 shaft, 1 string, and replace the blood with one of the addons that grants vitality. click the anvil in the crafting window. pull all 3 down to the reseach pane and start the research. You'll get the new bow, the pattern, and your skill will jump a couple of ranks.

5. You can access your bank box from the crafting window.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#33 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Haven't played enough, haven't really enjoyed the parts I've played. When things get quiet I may go back to it.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
It's really good, and I wish I had time to play more of it. As for those saying that the game has no endgame...I really can't agree, at all. It's similar to Guild Wars 1, in some ways - once you hit max level (which doesn't take vast amounts of time), the game's content really opens up for you. You no longer have to worry about what level you are (you'll always be the 'right' the right level for every area), you no longer have to chase the best gear, and you can finally get down to focusing on builds and party strategies (the game offers heaps of options there). And if you somehow get bored of that, just re-roll another character and play through the first 40 or so levels again. You'll get vastly different missions and playstyles, so it's certainly encouraged to have multiple characters.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="bonafidetk"][QUOTE="szafto"]I got bored after one day, refunded it. Started playing RIFT instead.Cataclism

You ask Anet for a refund.

id believe you but pc gamer magazine tried this and got denied at the door i call shenanigans

why? cause ncsoft is the publisher and unless you got it off plaync like some backwater noob any attempt to request a refund would be denied on the spot cause you did not buy directly from them. unfortunately guildwars 2 wasnt sold using playNC @ launch IIRC so aquiring it from them is very unlikely and even if you did you wouldnt ahve gotten your money back. their policies stirckly would have limited you to another game from their library instead. (which is again what pc gamer magazine learned when trying to get a refund for tabula rasa (when it was still around).

atm the only known game to offer refunds of any kind has been star wars galaxies but they only gave you a voucher for a different game. i believe the matrix online also handed out full refunds when they shuttered that.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ionusX

the game is amazing and ill be playing this longer afetr she has run her course. guildwars as a franchuise has walked on water a second time.

my score is a 9.7/10

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

From someone whose been playing mmo's hardcore for a long time since EQ I can tell you this game is quite amazing.

They managed to stay true to the series while bringing it to a new light. And for someone whose growing older like me and has much less time to put into hardcore grindy mmos it's perfect. I can still do what I love ( pvp ) and be on an even playing field.

Game itself is beautiful and I love the lore of Guild Wars. Visiting all those old landmarks around the world brings back memories which I love.

And finally the most important thing for me and one of the reasons I believe WoW was such a success is the game feels responsive. You don't have that awkward stutter between skills and such. The animations and skills are fluid and for me that's HUGE.

I'd give it a 9.5 and i can't wait to go see Elona and Cantha! Seriously good job A. Net.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

And finally the most important thing for me and one of the reasons I believe WoW was such a success is the game feels responsive. You don't have that awkward stutter between skills and such. The animations and skills are fluid and for me that's HUGE.

I'd give it a 9.5 and i can't wait to go see Elona and Cantha! Seriously good job A. Net.

Prexxus

Yeah a lot of people seem to take that smooth feeling for granted, it's what put me off a lot of other MMOs and attracted me to WoW, combat was always fun.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ionusX

[QUOTE="Prexxus"]

cyborg100000

Yeah a lot of people seem to take that smooth feeling for granted, it's what put me off a lot of other MMOs and attracted me to WoW, combat was always fun.

if you dont have fun killing sh!t in an mmo.. its just not going to last.. end story

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
I love it . And I've never really been into mmos but I can see myself playing this for a long time Trying to convince my buddy to give wow a break and Try gw2
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

+ fun combat makes me feel cool.
+ comfortable attack animations and movement makes it cooler
+ Plenty of stronger enemies to fight while pretending you are bad*** for soloing them.
+ Community feels friendly and really comes together, helping each other out and all that.

- lack of world pvp do make things a bit dull at times
- World vs World feels slow. Much running around to one place and then spend minutes bringing down the oil kettle and all that and then spend ten minutes hitting a door while occassionally targetting heads that pop out from the walls
- no 1 v 1 arenas make me raaaaaaaaaageeee
- dull and uninspired crafting system a la WoW's "press Craft to Craft".

Regarding the real money market, I can't say there's anything there at all I want to purchase. It feels, lacking. Like those equippable gear, there's like ten items there, three of those being glasses.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS

+ fun combat makes me feel cool.
+ comfortable attack animations and movement makes it cooler
+ Plenty of stronger enemies to fight while pretending you are bad*** for soloing them.
+ Community feels friendly and really comes together, helping each other out and all that.

- lack of world pvp do make things a bit dull at times
- World vs World feels slow. Much running around to one place and then spend minutes bringing down the oil kettle and all that and then spend ten minutes hitting a door while occassionally targetting heads that pop out from the walls
- no 1 v 1 arenas make me raaaaaaaaaageeee
- dull and uninspired crafting system a la WoW's "press Craft to Craft".

Regarding the real money market, I can't say there's anything there at all I want to purchase. It feels, lacking. Like those equippable gear, there's like ten items there, three of those being glasses.

xWoW_Rougex
world VS world is your world PvP. and from what you described of your experience with it, you're doing it wrong. who do you think placed that oil there? another player, that's who. SIEGE WEAPONS, man. siege and supply, not punch doors. if the enemy can't get his supplies, he's as good as dead. if you have plenty of supplies to spare, you can lay enough siege weapons to take a keep down in a minute.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

BrunoBRS

world VS world is your world PvP. and from what you described of your experience with it, you're doing it wrong. who do you think placed that oil there? another player, that's who. SIEGE WEAPONS, man. siege and supply, not punch doors. if the enemy can't get his supplies, he's as good as dead. if you have plenty of supplies to spare, you can lay enough siege weapons to take a keep down in a minute.

You sound kinda offended...

First of all, Worlds Vs World is not the same as world pvp. Part of the World PvP thrill is just going on with your daily life and then BAM, someone tries to kill you, you always looked around scanning your surroundings for possible threats (or victims). In WvW, you enter a battleground and if you want to have small scale battles, like a 1 v 1 battle and so on you have to run around quite a lot and actively look for it.

Secondly, siege weapons, how does that make it any more fun anyway?
- Siege weapons don't build themselves, there is only so much one person can do.
- As far as what I can do... I'd have to run back and forth like some delivery boy for supplies, not very fun either.
- Siege weapons and other non-player stuff are the bane of all PvP. It takes the Player out of Player Vs Player when you start focusing on building an object, then you take down object, then the gate-object. don't focus on the players, focus on the mortar-objects!

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

It didn't really hook me. I played it once for a few hours and haven't felt compelled to play again. I feel stupid for listening to my friends and spending sixty dollars on it.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AFBrat77

It didn't really hook me. I played it once for a few hours and haven't felt compelled to play again. I feel stupid for listening to my friends and spending sixty dollars on it.

xLittlekillx

I don't think you've played it long enough.....too much in the game that a few hours won't cover

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#46 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Great game, not my personal GOTY so far but its the best mmo in awhile imo.

Great combat, controls, art design and the World vs World is alot of fun. There definatly is some bugs that need to get worked out and the story is not very good but other then that its very good.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Game doesn't explain things very well? Well, there's an online manual but I doubt anyone ever bothers to notice that. It's right on the launcher where you click "Play." Everything else is rather intuitive. I don't see how it can be confusing or difficult to learn. But if a game is way too easy, people will whine it's hand-holding.. Can't please everyone I guess.. GW2 has flaws, some glaring flaws. Even then, it's still incredibly fun and a fresh of breath air from other MMO's. People seem to forget that this game is way too young. Other MMO's like World of Warcraft was plagued with bugs. People only seem to remember the "aftermath" which is the more polished, updated version many years later.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#48 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Game doesn't explain things very well? Well, there's an online manual but I doubt anyone ever bothers to notice that. It's right on the launcher where you click "Play." Everything else is rather intuitive. I don't see how it can be confusing or difficult to learn. But if a game is way too easy, people will whine it's hand-holding.. Can't please everyone I guess.. GW2 has flaws, some glaring flaws. Even then, it's still incredibly fun and a fresh of breath air from other MMO's. People seem to forget that this game is way too young. Other MMO's like World of Warcraft was plagued with bugs. People only seem to remember the "aftermath" which is the more polished, updated version many years later. Elann2008
I feel with the way it skips out on quest NPCs, turn ins and quest markers, it removes alot of direction in say, where to get gathering tools or how to craft (the discovery panel may seem confusing and I still have no clue as what recipies are for--havent bought any nor feel the need to buy any). It's pretty basic stuff. On the plus side, it does encourage others to open up chat and ask, as people are willing to help. And I think that's more effective and transparent than any scripted tutorial instruction that tells me what to do.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BrunoBRS
Game doesn't explain things very well? Well, there's an online manual but I doubt anyone ever bothers to notice that. It's right on the launcher where you click "Play." Everything else is rather intuitive. I don't see how it can be confusing or difficult to learn. But if a game is way too easy, people will whine it's hand-holding.. Can't please everyone I guess.. GW2 has flaws, some glaring flaws. Even then, it's still incredibly fun and a fresh of breath air from other MMO's. People seem to forget that this game is way too young. Other MMO's like World of Warcraft was plagued with bugs. People only seem to remember the "aftermath" which is the more polished, updated version many years later. Elann2008
it's not as much handholding as it is giving you an idea of stuff. too much of the game is learned by stumbling upon by accident, or by having someone else tell you about. the whole gathering/crafting system is completely invisible to people that don't actively search for it, for example. the tutorial scout should pull a zelda and break the 4th wall for the sake of clarity, and start talking from a videogame perspective. "vistas can earn you exp as well as dynamic events, that happen randomly throughout the world" and the like. i bet a lot of people got turned off when they realized that grinding mobs barely gave any exp. i know they were going for a "here's the world, have fun" thing, but that leaves new players lost. sure there's a lot to do, but how would i know? i say this because while i followed the game closely and never had those issues, i've helped a ton of friends who are new to the genre, as well as friends that are used to old standards, to understand how GW2 operates, because it's on an entirely different level. and let's face it, no one will ever read those tips that pop up.
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

After one month of regular play, I still enjoy it. That is honestly saying a lot from the standard MMO player with years of WoW under his belt. The most important aspect of GW2 is the very intentional direction arenanet wants to to take it. They started a paradigm shift of no holy trinity, no gear grind, and an equalized pvp experience and they will stick to it. This gives me confidence in the direction of the game and it is really important to understand why this distinction makes it different from other MMOs that are FORCED to go free to play.

I love the phenomimal art direction of the game and the combat is the most fun of any mmo yet. One nuance I have never heard expressed is the gear customization. In games like WoW, you have standardized gear for dps/tanks/healers, but in GW you can customize for quite a bit more flexibility. Despite every class being dps in GW2, the option for building more than a pure dps set is there and I think that is pretty neat.

Bottom line, I'm astounded this is a free to play game and I hope the mmo community realizes they should get a lot more for $15 a month. I'm not saying GW2 surpasses WoW in content, but the game has genuinely brought into question if paying $15 a month for 6 month interval content updates is really worth it.