Guild Wars 2 End Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

What is there to do in GW2 after you reach level 80? Is there any incentive to do so. I feel as if you're playing for nothing. The most anyone can tell me at lvl 80 is to either 1. PVP or 2. Complete the map. That's not fun at all and there's in incentive to do anything, you're running towards nothing. It's like I should hit level 80 and just restart cause the end, the game is over. No, that's not how an MMORPG is suppose to be, I wanted an experience and to play cooperatively with people.

Map completion after you hit level 80 is just a cheap way to disguise that there's nothing to do. That's like releasing MoP in WoW and telling you there are no new raids, just a ton of quests you should go complete after you hit the new level cap.

...There is nothing to do, how is this game considered "good" by any standards? Disappointment of the year x2 (Diablo 3 being the first)

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
GW1 was never a PVE game, same with GW2. You are meant to WvW and structured PVP for endgame. Thats what GW has always been about. I havent even hit level cap cause I love doing structured PVP. A large patch is coming sometime soon though, might want to look into that.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

3 things.

1. Do events while continuing to explore places you already went through or have yet to (you do have incentive for completeing the map, items used for crafting legendaries).
2. Grind and farm in Orr (to gather gold, stuff to sell on TP, mats - that you either keep or sell -, or items that you use to experiment at the forge) for the long road of obtaining a legendary weapon.
3. PvP

There's also a 4th one, but this one is irrelevant, it involves not doing anything, just wasting time in the game just because.

Anyway, you missed the point of this game completely judging by your conclusion, you're giving me the same feeling people avoiding all the PvE in WoW (gonna use it as an example since it seems you're familiar with it) AKA more than 95% of what the game has to offer, to simply grind dungeons, raids and pvp all day calling it "what it's all about" and I do not like those people one bit.

EDIT: Correction, GW 2 is all about PvE and that's why it's a game worth playing, its PvP is mediocre to say the least.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
first: getting to 80 is not a glorified tutorial. you don't complain that non-MMO games don't have anything to do after the credits roll. second: THIS GAME IS NOT WOW. THE DEFINITION OF ENDGAME CHANGES. stop expecting games to just be WoW reskins, and being disappointed if it does something differently from WoW (namely, replace the gear treadmill endgame with other things). third, here are some things you can do: -play sPvP and WvW -go for 100% map completion (which is much tougher than it looks, and has always been one of the main things about the game) -get your desired look and stats for you character -complete all 32 dungeon paths at least once -find and complete all jumping puzzles and minidungeons -complete all boss achievements -max all crafting professions (you'll need at least one of them for the next item) -craft a legendary weapon, or one of the exotic weapons with unique skins from the mystic forge (which are almost as hard as legendaries, and just as awesome) -obtain all dungeon armor -wait for the next monthly update and see everything that they added (it's not like you have to resub for it, so if you're not enjoying, might as well not play it) -starting next week, play the "megadungeon" that gets progressively harder and more rewarding the further down you go -play some activities (right now, only keg brawl, because they pushed the others back to address the "ZOMG NO ENDGAME" complaints) those are a few i got off the top of my head.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#5 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Once you hit level 80, end game scales Horizontally instead of it continuing Vertically. Meaning, that you're 'mostly' there for the aesthetic looking gear. Of course, there is a slight stat optimization at level 80 to tantalize and the option to expand your play flexibility as you can acquire a 2nd set of gear and refund traits (ie. Swapping from a Glamour/Support Mesmer to a Shatter/Power one--which I am in the process of doing while I draw close to world completion)

-

The process for endgame is typically:

Exploring other zones available to you as the game overcompensates experience

Going through the various dungeons and the explorable paths that lie within them

hanging out in Orr as that's the most efficient way to gain gold and Karma

Doing the WvW PvP for Badges

That's the cold hard methods and the things that will keep you actively logged in, but having fun playing with others/guildies/friends is about the best endgame experience the game offers thanks to the downscaling system that rewards you appropriately according to your level. I dont think i've ever turned down a "Shadow behemoth is up" or "Claw of Jormag is up"... ever.

-

NightmareP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 NightmareP3
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

GW1 was never a PVE game, same with GW2. You are meant to WvW and structured PVP for endgame. Thats what GW has always been about. I havent even hit level cap cause I love doing structured PVP. A large patch is coming sometime soon though, might want to look into that. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

I still haven't touched the WvW or PvP in GW2 at all and i'm level 73 lol.

GW2 imo has a great PVE, i'm still having lots of fun with it. If i stop playing when i hit level 80 I'll still be satisfied since i'm not the type of MMORPG player who needs to invest 1000 hours to feel happy about hi's purchase.

I might give WvW a shot after i hit max level, however i doubt I'll play it much. I never found any type of PVP in MMORPGs to be fun at all so i tend to avoid it at all cost.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]GW1 was never a PVE game, same with GW2. You are meant to WvW and structured PVP for endgame. Thats what GW has always been about. I havent even hit level cap cause I love doing structured PVP. A large patch is coming sometime soon though, might want to look into that. NightmareP3

GW2 imo has a great PVE, i'm still having lots of fun with it. If i stop playing when i hit level 80 I'll still be satisfied since i'm not the type of MMORPG player who needs to invest 1000 hours to feel happy about hi's purchase.

I might give WvW a shot after i hit max level, however i doubt I'll play it much. I never found any type of PVP in MMORPGs to be fun at all so i tend to avoid it at all cost.

Getting your guild together and seeing 1500 players involved in a sastle siege is something no other MMO can offer in pvp

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
The journey is where the game excels and when I reach level 80 and feel bored I'll simply make a new character or try to get the best gear, and even if I get bored still I'll still be able to look back at the months of insane fun I had reaching level 80. Just because the game to you isn't fun doesn't mean it was a waste and they already announced they are working hard on new content and expansions plus seasonal events aren't to be missed. I totally agree however, it is rather empty at the level cap but the personal story of each race should be worth at least SOME replay value.
NightmareP3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 NightmareP3
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

[QUOTE="NightmareP3"]

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]GW1 was never a PVE game, same with GW2. You are meant to WvW and structured PVP for endgame. Thats what GW has always been about. I havent even hit level cap cause I love doing structured PVP. A large patch is coming sometime soon though, might want to look into that. wis3boi

Getting your guild together and seeing 1500 players involved in a sastle siege is something no other MMO can offer in pvp

This will most likely sound crazy for you but i don't like guilds, i in general dislike clans or even gaming community groups for games,specialy for MMORPGs. I like being my own man, i don't like folowing a certain date on a calender to see when i can do a dungeon to get better gear. I like jumping into a game anytime i want to and if i wanna play with friends I'll check if anyone is online and invite them.

And as i said, I'll give WvW a shot but i doubt I'll find myself playing it much + i bet my frame rate will turn into a power point presentation in WvW since according to alot of people it's almost unplayable on mid-range PCs.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="NightmareP3"]

NightmareP3

This will most likely sound crazy for you but i don't like guilds, i in general dislike clans or even gaming community groups for games,specialy for MMORPGs. I like being my own man, i don't like folowing a certain date on a calender to see when i can do a dungeon to get better gear. I like jumping into a game anytime i want to and if i wanna play with friends I'll check if anyone is online and invite them.

And as i said, I'll give WvW a shot but i doubt I'll find myself playing it much + i bet my frame rate will turn into a power point presentation in WvW since according to alot of people it's almost unplayable on mid-range PCs.

dont bother going in WvW if you're flying solo then, you cant possibly accomplish anything.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="NightmareP3"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

dont bother going in WvW if you're flying solo then, you cant possibly accomplish anything.

joining the zerg is fun. giving people orders around is fun. forming up a small saboteur group is fun. scouting is VERY fun and best done solo (though being a thief is a huge advantage here :P) those are some activities you can do without bringing friends over in WvW.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="NightmareP3"]

NightmareP3

i don't know where you got that idea, maybe you should consider joining the gamespot guild. we do dungeons and WvW when someone wants to, and everyone is free to say no (though we usually get a party set just with guildies, and if not we just get randoms), and the only dates you'd have to worry about is our bonus weekends :P and we definitely don't punish people for representing other guilds or being on different servers, if all you want is a nice chat room.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Getting your guild together and seeing 1500 players involved in a sastle siege is something no MMO can offer in pvpwis3boi
It's good that you want to promote its PvP, but don't lie to people, it's around 2 K people max for the entire WvWvW, in short 500 player limit per map.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
To be perfectly honest by the time you reach lvl 80 and finish the main quest you should be close on hitting 100 hours, which for a $60 game is fantastic value. Other than that, the people above have covered the endgame quite well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts

100 hours for an MMORPG is not a good value. The game shouldn't end when I hit 80 and don't be saying that it's about the journey rather than the destination. Eventually you will hit 80 and you will have nothing to do. There's no point in getting 100% map completetion and no point in getting legendaries because your DPS doesn't even matter. There's no competitive side to it because everything is all zergy and you don't even have to be good to complete everything. You can sPvp and WvW at level 1 and there's no self rewarding goal at the end because everyone feels the same as everyone else.

I'm not looking for a WoW reskin but the reason why everyone compares to WoW is because WoW did everything right, whether you wanna believe it or not.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BrunoBRS

100 hours for an MMORPG is not a good value. The game shouldn't end when I hit 80 and don't be saying that it's about the journey rather than the destination. Eventually you will hit 80 and you will have nothing to do. There's no point in getting 100% map completetion and no point in getting legendaries because your DPS doesn't even matter. There's no competitive side to it because everything is all zergy and you don't even have to be good to complete everything. You can sPvp and WvW at level 1 and there's no self rewarding goal at the end because everyone feels the same as everyone else.

I'm not looking for a WoW reskin but the reason why everyone compares to WoW is because WoW did everything right, whether you wanna believe it or not.

Spirit_Warriors
welp, i guess if bigger numbers are your only motivation to keep playing an MMO, you could always buy one of those fancy calculators.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Personally my biggest issue with the game is that so far (I am a level 39 or something) the questing system is not as interesting as a traditional one. I don't usually feel excited to do the events, especially the hearts.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Once you hit level 80, end game scales Horizontally instead of it continuing Vertically. Meaning, that you're 'mostly' there for the aesthetic looking gear. Of course, there is a slight stat optimization at level 80 to tantalize and the option to expand your play flexibility as you can acquire a 2nd set of gear and refund traits (ie. Swapping from a Glamour/Support Mesmer to a Shatter/Power one--which I am in the process of doing while I draw close to world completion)

-

The process for endgame is typically:

Exploring other zones available to you as the game overcompensates experience

Going through the various dungeons and the explorable paths that lie within them

hanging out in Orr as that's the most efficient way to gain gold and Karma

Doing the WvW PvP for Badges

That's the cold hard methods and the things that will keep you actively logged in, but having fun playing with others/guildies/friends is about the best endgame experience the game offers thanks to the downscaling system that rewards you appropriately according to your level. I dont think i've ever turned down a "Shadow behemoth is up" or "Claw of Jormag is up"... ever.

-

illmatic87
After reading all the comments, this is probably the most honest and best answer. The best part of endgame is enhanced by playing with friends and guildies. Doing dungeons for paths for story might be cool for some people, but you're ultimately earning tokens for aesthetics (gear). If pvp is in your blood, then you'll want to eventually get into WvW so you'll have some balance with PVE, WvW, and other misc things like earning gold.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS

Personally my biggest issue with the game is that so far (I am a level 39 or something) the questing system is not as interesting as a traditional one. I don't usually feel excited to do the events, especially the hearts.

NaveedLife
you'd prefer shopping list quests? D:
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS

I just don't feel like I get any unique rewards and honestly so far I don't think the quest variation is that different. In GW1 you got unique rewards at least, like skills or specific items. IN this you just grind and get money, gold, and karma. Kinda like how DIII just gives you experience and gold throughout, and never skill pts, perma health potions, imbue an item, personalize an item, and more, like DII did.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

The end game in Guild Wars 2 is the end. Get it? Because the game ends at max level. It's not like WoW where there is plenty to do.

GW2 was overhyped and flopped hard.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

I just don't feel like I get any unique rewards and honestly so far I don't think the quest variation is that different. In GW1 you got unique rewards at least, like skills or specific items. IN this you just grind and get money, gold, and karma. Kinda like how DIII just gives you experience and gold throughout, and never skill pts, perma health potions, imbue an item, personalize an item, and more, like DII did.

I have to agree with Naveed. I love GW2, I think it's a great MMO, but it's more about earning Karma and Currency and buying what you want and customizing instead of rewarding items. It's fine for most people, but I personally like FINDING Rare things like Armour, Weapons etc.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] you'd prefer shopping list quests? D:FelipeInside

I have to agree with Naveed. I love GW2, I think it's a great MMO, but it's more about earning Karma and Currency and buying what you want and customizing instead of rewarding items. It's fine for most people, but I personally like FINDING Rare things like Armour, Weapons etc.

i guess it's about taste. i think it's much better that i have a clear objective and know exactly how many times i need to run X dungeon before i get my armor, than leave it to chance and run it without a clear goal. and the game still gives that sense of nice drops when you drop a rare or an exotic item (dungeon drops are slowly improving, about damn time), or one of those super expensive crafting materials.
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

Spirit_Warriors

When Cata released I beat the game in about ~80 hours. It took me 25 hours to go from 80-85, 30 hours of dungeon grinding, and finally 24 hours to clear normal tier 11(two 12 hour raid weeks). Now of course we went on to do heroic t11, but that is just recycled content.

Thing is WoW is only time consuming and gives the illusion of a lot to do if you can't get into a top guild which happens to most people toiling away at dailies/dungeons for years. There is very little gear incentive at the highest level of pve or pvp because it comes to you fast. Every new tier that is released I'd get decked out in new tier gear in ~2-3 weeks and full heroic gear a couple weeks later. The incentive to keep playing was to clear content, not get better gear.

As far as I'm concerned, in the purest form, WoW is far less about gear than most people think. Have fun with your dailies TC.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoyed a sense of completion, that is why I raided seriously. However, GW2 offers that same sense of completion for me personally without having to deal with 25 other people and a raid schedule(plus the stress of listening to screaming matches and RAGE). If you feel content with never being complete and always striving for something even though it is for nothing, play WoW.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

[QUOTE="Spirit_Warriors"]

CassiusGaius

When Cata released I beat the game in about ~80 hours. It took me 25 hours to go from 80-85, 30 hours of dungeon grinding, and finally 24 hours to clear normal tier 11(two 12 hour raid weeks). Now of course we went on to do heroic t11, but that is just recycled content.

Thing is WoW is only time consuming and gives the illusion of a lot to do if you can't get into a top guild which happens to most people toiling away at dailies/dungeons for years. There is very little gear incentive at the highest level of pve or pvp because it comes to you fast. Every new tier that is released I'd get decked out in new tier gear in ~2-3 weeks and full heroic gear a couple weeks later. The incentive to keep playing was to clear content, not get better gear.

As far as I'm concerned, in the purest form, WoW is far less about gear than most people think. Have fun with your dailies TC.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoyed a sense of completion, that is why I raided seriously. However, GW2 offers that same sense of completion for me personally without having to deal with 25 other people and a raid schedule(plus the stress of listening to screaming matches and RAGE). If you feel content with never being complete and always striving for something even though it is for nothing, play WoW.

Couldn't agree more, we'll said...well damn said. I quite wow 5 months before GW2 came out, been playing GW2 since it came out and when MOP released my buddy told me how it's all changed, questing is so much better, the game is more dynamic and so I said hmmmm I'm gonna give it a shot and guess what? It was the same old crap. I mean after playing GW2 I can't stand wow what so ever. It is old boring time consuming and I never feel I the sense of completion. It's either forget about school and girl friend and life in general so you can dedicate your life to endless raiding and grinding in hopes to get satisfaction of being uber and completed or your a noob looser that nobody want you in their guild and have to beg for a spot in pug raids. Yea I'm done with that system, after 8 years I think I had enough. Now I'm not saying GW2 is the best thing since sliced bread but I'm really enjoying it and it feels refreshing from your ordinary MMO, 1 thing and the only thing I miss when playing GW2 is mounts. I'm sure that will get fixed in 10 years or so when GW3 comes out lol.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
For me, endgame has been playing through new characters. The different classes, races, orders, personal story paths and builds make this a pretty fun option.