GTX 8xx series release schedule?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll GTX 8xx series release schedule? (20 votes)

Soon (march-may) 10%
not soon (jun-aug) 45%
hella far away (sept-dec) 45%

Have been reading a bit about this new line of cards because i was going to buy a 4gb GTX 770.... and there seems to be a lot of confusion on when people seem to think they will be coming to market. some have said march-may... but then there are stories of the chip manufacturer having issues with production so we might not see them until the end of the year.

just trying to get a good feel for if upgrading now is a wise choice, or if simply waiting a month or two will see new technology available for purchase. i would be happy with a GTX 860 or 870.... im not looking for the highest end cards.

what do you all think?

• 
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Maxwell got delayed from its original schedule date of Q1 but its not looking like a catastrophic delay according to TSMC (all the reports and speculations I've been reading point towards June-August for the 880/870 with the 860 and below early to mid Fall).

I guess that's relatively soon if your eyeballing a 870 or 880 (3-5 months isn't really a super long time).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@mastershake575 said:

Maxwell got delayed from its original schedule date of Q1 but its not looking like a catastrophic delay according to TSMC (all the reports and speculations I've been reading point towards June-August for the 880/870 with the 860 and below early to mid Fall).

I guess that's relatively soon if your eyeballing a 870 or 880 (3-5 months isn't really a super long time).

It is when your main card dies and your stuck with 8xxx card and theres a lot of games coming out soon.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@mastershake575 said:

It is when your main card dies and your stuck with 8xxx card and theres a lot of games coming out soon.

true statement....

however i have a GTX 560... which is definitely starting to show its age. i can run a lot of games maxed out, but there are games coming up like titanfall and the witcher 3 which are going to require atleast 3gigs of VRAM to max out... and atleast for the witcher 3, a lot more horsepower.

plus, being able to just sit down and install a game without having to worry about fiddling with settings to get it to run well is important to me. i want to just be able to set it to high and play. i can still do that with my 560... but i feel like that isnt going to be happening in the next few months when some of the newer games drop.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mastershake575

@GTR12 said:

That's not the TC's case according to previous post he has made in the past so I don't understand your quote ? (my quote was in relation to the TC, not some random scenario that was never mentioned).

GTX 560 isn't exactly chump change and a lot of the big games coming out are still 1.5-2.5 months away (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2, Dying light). Titan Fall and the Diablo 3 expansion are due this month but there far from GPU hogs. He will be fine for now......

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@mastershake575 said:

If TC is thinking about a 770, and if 870 is coming in 3-5 months I would consider it to be worth the waiting. In the mean time TC can play through some older games and hold off on the newer ones until he gets a new GPU.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12

@mastershake575 said:

@GTR12 said:

That's not the TC's case according to previous post he has made in the past so I don't understand your quote ? (my quote was in relation to the TC, not some random scenario that was never mentioned).

GTX 560 isn't exactly chump change and a lot of the big games coming out are still 1.5-2.5 months away (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2, Dying light). Titan Fall and the Diablo 3 expansion are due this month but there far from GPU hogs. He will be fine for now......

That's TC's case, I was just making a general statement. TC asked a general question asking when the new cards were out and then said what his circumstances were. I'm fairly sure TC wasn't accusing anyone, and just asking if it is worth waiting.

My card wasn't chump change either, it just died on me, what if that 560 dies next week? would you still wait if you had no other backup card or not?

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mastershake575

@GTR12 said:

That's TC's case, I was just making a general statement.

Which is why it was confusing (I made a reply to his statement/scenario and you replied with a general statement).

If his 560 died next week then it would depend on budget and if your willing to sell/trade out cards (I personally would snag a 7870XT for under $200 and overclock it to 760 SC performance then sell it at a $30-40 loss right before 20nm comes out if I had a 560 die on me). My other option would be get a 7770ghz for $75 and then sell the game coupon (your not going to lose hardly any money once you sell the 7770ghz before 20nm).

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@mastershake575 said:

@GTR12 said:

That's TC's case, I was just making a general statement.

Which is why it was confusing (I made a reply to his statement/scenario and you replied with a general statement).

If his 560 died next week then it would depend on budget and if your willing to sell/trade out cards (I personally would snag a 7870XT for under $200 and overclock it to 760 SC performance then sell it at a $30-40 loss right before 20nm comes out if I had a 560 die on me).

Ah ok, I get your point now.

I'd have done the exact same thing but that card is stupidly inflated in price here, and it would be a bigger loss than you mentioned, hence why im waiting.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mastershake575

@GTR12 said:

Ah ok, I get your point now.

I'd have done the exact same thing but that card is stupidly inflated in price here, and it would be a bigger loss than you mentioned, hence why im waiting.

That blows man (card inflation is the worse). In the USA you can grab a 7870XT for under $200 (will easily be worth $150 right before 20nm) and a 7770ghz for $75 which you can sell the game coupon for $10-20 and that only leaves you spending like $60 for a card you will easily sell for $45 a few months down the road.

Hopefully 20nm doesn't keep either of you two waiting too long (I hope they stick to the general TSMC timeline).

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I'm guessing in the summer.

As I play at 1080p, my 670 is keeping my happy face rolling so I might skip the 800 series again! Good for saving money.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastershake575

@Cyberdot said:

As I play at 1080p, my 670 is keeping my happy face rolling so I might skip the 800 series again! Good for saving money.

Yeah the GTX 670 is amazing (overclocks to stock 280x/680 performance for a significantly less price).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

@mastershake575 said:

@Cyberdot said:

Yeah the GTX 670 is amazing (overclocks to stock 280x/680 performance for a significantly less price).

It was a nice card, though was priced close to the 7970 for the most part (here, at least).

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

A bit off topic, but since I want to make myself a new PC with a GTX 8xx series card this summer, will Intel release a revision of their CPUs by then? I heard about the socket change between Ivy Bridge and Maxwell and last time I got gated by the last gen of dual cores for my current PC. Would not want that to happen again

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12

@genius2365 said:

A bit off topic, but since I want to make myself a new PC with a GTX 8xx series card this summer, will Intel release a revision of their CPUs by then? I heard about the socket change between Ivy Bridge and Maxwell and last time I got gated by the last gen of dual cores for my current PC. Would not want that to happen again

Intel changes socket every CPU gen, well almost every gen.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

i just bought the GTX770 4gb..... the Gigabyte Windforce version. it was on sale for $389 so i went ahead and just did it. if it keeps my PC on high settings for 2 years ill be happy. dont really want to wait until august to upgrade.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@genius2365 said:

5th gen i-cores CPU from Intel will still be 1150, though I assume Z97 or something like that. Should work with current Z87 mobos after a bios update.

Edit: Personal opinion is that unless you really need to upgrade now, wait for Skylake. From what I have been hearing, that is a rather massive upgrade when it comes to what you can connect to the mobo. Sata-express to mention one thing.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 genius2365

@horgen123 said:

@genius2365 said:

5th gen i-cores CPU from Intel will still be 1150, though I assume Z97 or something like that. Should work with current Z87 mobos after a bios update.

Edit: Personal opinion is that unless you really need to upgrade now, wait for Skylake. From what I have been hearing, that is a rather massive upgrade when it comes to what you can connect to the mobo. Sata-express to mention one thing.

This is exactly the dilemma I have now. I've had my current PC for a while and it's quite outdated (Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.8 GHz, NVIDIA GTX 275, etc.) I was hoping to upgrade this summer, but now that I've heard about Skylake and it's socket change and massive upgrade, I'm stuck. I don't want to buy the last gen of 1150 socket CPUs (Haswell) only to be cut off from future upgrades, like I was with my Core 2 Duo (E8500 was one of the last of it's type, after that a socket change came with the Intel i series) I want to get into the beginning of the generation, not the end.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@genius2365 said:

@horgen123 said:

@genius2365 said:

This is exactly the dilemma I have now. I've had my current PC for a while and it's quite outdated (Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.8 GHz, NVIDIA GTX 275, etc.) I was hoping to upgrade this summer, but now that I've heard about Skylake and it's socket change and massive upgrade, I'm stuck. I don't want to buy the last gen of 1150 socket CPUs (Haswell) only to be cut off from future upgrades, like I was with my Core 2 Duo (E8500 was one of the last of it's type, after that a socket change came with the Intel i series) I want to get into the beginning of the generation, not the end.

Well I doubt that there will be a big change in actual performance. Anyway there is Broadway in between... Or maybe that was only for Xeon and mobile. And we don't know if it will be released(Skylake) in 2015 or 2016...

http://wccftech.com/intel-14nm-skylake-processors-feature-pcie-4-ddr4-memory-sata-express/

Only in 2015 would the mainstream LGA 115* lineup get the first 14nm Skylake processors which bring some interesting new features. While Broadwell is a die shrink of Haswell built on a 14nm process and featuring a Gen8 integrated GPU, Skylake would be built around a totally new 14nm process design as an update over the Tri-gate architecture. Skylake would feature the latest Gen9 integrated HD graphics along with the being the first main-stream platform to get Dual channel DDR4 memory functionality. Haswell-E and Skylake would be the only two desktop platforms with native support for DDR4 memory from Intel and would ditch the much older DDR3.

Other than DDR4 memory, Skylake would also feature PCIe 4.0 functionality which doubles the bandwidth over PCIe 3.0 but it is known that no GPU currently takes benefit from the extra bandwidth available on PCIe 3.0 or even 2.0 so only if NVIDIA’s Maxwell requires massive bandwidth from the PCIe 4.0 slots would we see any real time performance benefit. Skylake would also get SATA Express functionality which has a bandwidth of around 10-16 GB/s enhancing the transfer speeds of hard drives and SSDs. Intel’s Skylake would feature the latest AVX 3.2 instructions over AVX 2.0 in current Haswell processors. The new micro architecture would launch in the first half of 2015 and would replace the Haswell refresh platform that arrives for desktop PCs next year.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-14nm-skylake-processors-feature-pcie-4-ddr4-memory-sata-express/#ixzz2vUWCCoSN

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By genius2365

@horgen123: Thanks for the info. I'll have a look

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mastershake575

@genius2365 said:

If your not an enthuasist then I would just buy now if your itching for more power. I don't know if Broadwell/haswell-E will offer much in terms of mainstream cpu's and I wouldn't be surprised if where another 1.5-2 year away from Skylake.

An overclocked i5 is already going to offer 4 times the CPU power as the consoles CPU and there's decent chance that GPU's will start offloading some of the CPU workload in the next generation or two of video cards

An overclocked 4th gen i5 is going to be the equivalent of hypothetically owning an Q9550 in 2006

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator

@genius2365 said:

@horgen123: Thanks for the info. I'll have a look

You're welcome. Still as he says

@mastershake575 said:

@genius2365 said:

If your not an enthuasist then I would just buy now if your itching for more power. I don't know if Broadwell/haswell-E will offer much in terms of mainstream cpu's and I wouldn't be surprised if where another 1.5-2 year away from Skylake.

An overclocked i5 is already going to offer 4 times the CPU power as the consoles CPU and there's decent chance that GPU's will start offloading some of the CPU workload in the next generation or two of video cards

An overclocked 4th gen i5 is going to be the equivalent of hypothetically owning an Q9550 in 2006

If you are just itching for more power, then get Haswell, it's plenty strong, and some of those features on Skylake aren't exactly needed atm. PCIe 4th gen for instance... Not complaining though