gtx 680 vs hd 7970 results.. usually better but strange testbed

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i have apparently legitimate results with a gtx 680 vs a 7970. generally they are better vs tahiti xt however sometimes they are not.

arkham city maxed out @ 1080p:

gtx 680: 57fps

hd 7970: 49fps

bf3 maxed @ 1080p:

gtx 680: 72.2fps

hd 7970: unlisted but assumed lower (whoever did the graph was a moron)

CoDmw3 maxed @ 1080p:

gtx 680 & hd 7970: tied @ 74fps

unigine:

gtx 680:46.5

hd 7970:41.5

LP2 @ 1080p:

gtx 680: 73.4fps

hd 7970: 58.5

3dmark 11: generally over hd 7970's results by 1.7k to 2k points across all presets @ 1080p

granted these were stock results

testbed was as follows:

LN2 cooled core i7 SB-e 3960x

8gb ddr3

ASUS RoG board

1200 watt psu

http://www.techpowerup.com/162498/GTX-680-Generally-Faster-Than-HD-7970-New-Benchmarks.html

here comes the pain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN0zMe5pLX8

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Seems pretty close. Most of these games are "Way it is meant to be played" optimized games. Pretty close overall though. Guess I'm switching over to AMD soon to try them out, been having a lot of Nvidia driver issues lately. -.-
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
now lets see its price and power consumption compared
jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

I get more than that on MW3....i get around 85-100fps...

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tc
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

On the hexus site post where you can see the nvidia chip the chip number looks shopped. Ill wait for release, but if anything is correct it will be more expensive then a 7970.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
Looks like I'll keep my GTX 460 even longer then I would have hoped. Nvidia... what a waste of time waiting for something so meh.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcTH1Sx1SxSPARTA
im surpised you have the pair to post here again after the whooping in gave you last time

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcionusX

im surpised you have the pair to post here again after the whooping in gave you last time

what are you even talking about lol

CmdrMcNeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CmdrMcNeil
Member since 2003 • 79 Posts

2x GTX 470s plugged into the TV and still puttering along fine. Checking some of the specs from the new Nvidia line coupled with the price not seeing a real impetus to upgrade. Not to mention haven't encountered a game that's forced me too. Certain that day is fast approaching though. Will prolly give it some time; wait for the prices to drop.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcionusX

still waiting on wtf your even talking about, or do you just make stuff up about users when your butthurt? is it my fault you have a reputation for putting down anything nvidia or intel and praising everything amd? no its not so shut the fvck up

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

still waiting on wtf your even talking about, or do you just make stuff up about users when your butthurt? is it my fault you have a reputation for putting down anything nvidia or intel and praising everything amd? no its not so shut the fvck up

Stay on topic. If you want to talk like that go on system wars. This is pc hardware, keep your petty arguments out please.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"] im surpised you have the pair to post here again after the whooping in gave you last time

kraken2109

Stay on topic. If you want to talk like that go on system wars. This is pc hardware, keep your petty arguments out please.

tell that to that @sshole

sorry im on my fifth day without a cigarette :xim a little pissy and irritable lol forums probably arent where i should be right now haha

CmdrMcNeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CmdrMcNeil
Member since 2003 • 79 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"] still waiting on wtf your even talking about, or do you just make stuff up about users when your butthurt? is it my fault you have a reputation for putting down anything nvidia or intel and praising everything amd? no its not so shut the fvck up

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

sorry im on my fifth day without a cigarette :xim a little pissy and irritable lol forums probably arent where i should be right now haha

I've seen how that works out. Been underway when the cigs run out and the ship's store isn't restocked. There's murder in some of those dudes' eyes.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

bf3 maxed @ 1080p:

ionusX

Corrected graph for BF3.

For GTX 680, 772 --> 1006 = 30% core clock increase i.e. overclock.

For end user performance, it comes down to AIB's value added efforts i.e. the level of factory overclocks.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Looks like I'll keep my GTX 460 even longer then I would have hoped. Nvidia... what a waste of time waiting for something so meh.Truth_Hurts_U
What res and settings do you game at?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
I love how the damage control is right there in the title.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Your handle is a combination of leet speak and a meme.

gtfo

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Truth_Hurts_U
What res and settings do you game at?mitu123
1080, med, high and ultra. What ever combo of settings work best.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Dont trust the results, until the card is actually released to the public. The GTX 680 is suppose to have 1536 shader processors 3x the amount of a GTX 580 and it can only muster 34% increase in performance according to those, while a 7970 is only 32% faster then GTX 580 in BF3. Something is out of place about those tests.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
I feel your pain man. Ontopic: Seems like an nvidia card does better in nvidia optimised games. Will be interesting to get a larger view of performance between the 2
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Stay on topic. If you want to talk like that go on system wars. This is pc hardware, keep your petty arguments out please.CmdrMcNeil

I've seen how that works out. Been underway when the cigs run out and the ship's store isn't restocked. There's murder in some of those dudes' eyes.

haha well im trying to quit, cold turkey, the hardest way but the most effective
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts
Took the works write off my keyboard - glad I'm not the only one who notices this...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcwhitey_rolls
Took the works write off my keyboard - glad I'm not the only one who notices this...

Been doin it for a while, posts heavily in favour of AMD. Remember that post where he said a patch was coming out for Bulldozer that would increase peformance by quite a bit? Yeah we saw how that ended up...He just cant take it when something from AMD doesnt work out like Bulldozer did. Also likes to trash Nvidia at every second and never posts anything positive about them. Soon as the new AMD cards came out he said how the crapped over Nvidia cards even though the AMD ones were the next gen cards versus Nvidia's old ones. Gets boring reading news storys just ripped from other sites to with bad English and a useless youtube link usually about wrestling for some odd reason...

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

If anything these new keplers will let AMD's GPUs come down in price because I don't think a 680 would be worth it at the price for that small a difference

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"] What res and settings do you game at?Truth_Hurts_U
1080, med, high and ultra. What ever combo of settings work best.

Depending on what FPS you want, I see far more demanding games will hurt you 460, it hurts mine, that's why I have 2.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="whitey_rolls"][QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]im surprised you didnt flat out lie and make up numbers to favor amd tcV4LENT1NE

Been doin it for a while, posts heavily in favour of AMD. Remember that post where he said a patch was coming out for Bulldozer that would increase peformance by quite a bit? Yeah we saw how that ended up...He just cant take it when something from AMD doesnt work out like Bulldozer did. Also likes to trash Nvidia at every second and never posts anything positive about them. Soon as the new AMD cards came out he said how the crapped over Nvidia cards even though the AMD ones were the next gen cards versus Nvidia's old ones. Gets boring reading news storys just ripped from other sites to with bad English and a useless youtube link usually about wrestling for some odd reason...

For AMD Bulldozer module's dual thread operations, AMD didn't double TLB L1 entries.

AMD's older K10 CPU's TLB L1 has 48 entries.

AMD's older K8 CPU's TLB L1 has 32 entries.

Intel Sandybridge core's TLB L1 has 64 entries(1).

Intel Clarkdale/Westmere's TLB L1 has 64 entries(2).

AMD stuff'ed up with Bulldozer i.e. K8's TLB L1 32 entries with added stress of 2 threads. Effectively has 16 entries per thread. It's LOL episode.

Reference
1. Link, Intel Core i5-2400

2. Link, Intel Core i5-560

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

If anything these new keplers will let AMD's GPUs come down in price because I don't think a 680 would be worth it at the price for that small a difference

seanmcloughlin
Unless Nvidia determines they are say 10% better and then increase their pricing. For the past 3-4 years from what I can recall the prices have stayed fairly level, due to AMD's ridiculous pricing with their new GPU's we could see a price jump for Nvidia as well.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

haha well im trying to quit, cold turkey, the hardest way but the most effectiveTH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Well pissing and moaning about it won't help. Man up and quit being a sissy about it.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Truth_Hurts_U
Depending on what FPS you want, I see far more demanding games will hurt you 460, it hurts mine, that's why I have 2.mitu123
It's got DDR3 1866MHz backing it along with 2600k OC'ed to 3.8 GHz. I get good frames 50-60 most games. Newest NV driver let me fully max Skyrim out with HD texture pack. Runs like butter. I wanted a bigger jump. All this trash talk made it seem it was gonna stomp AMD into the dirt. More like a baby slap across their face. But they are months late to the party. Is more of a joke then anything.
59abbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 59abbot
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Since their performance is so closed, it will be depending on price. I think these 2 cards are cost more than $500. It is a little bid too much for me.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]haha well im trying to quit, cold turkey, the hardest way but the most effectivetequilasunriser

Well pissing and moaning about it won't help. Man up and quit being a sissy about it.

who cares. i wasnt talking to you, i just gave a reason as to why i jumped on tc a bit. FVCK OFF
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]haha well im trying to quit, cold turkey, the hardest way but the most effectiveTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

who cares. i wasnt talking to you, i just gave a reason as to why i jumped on tc a bit. FVCK OFF

Translation: I wanna cry like a baby, poor me.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"] im surpised you have the pair to post here again after the whooping in gave you last time

kraken2109

System wars are not about "fanboy" wars..

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ronvalencia

Dont trust the results, until the card is actually released to the public. The GTX 680 is suppose to have 1536 shader processors 3x the amount of a GTX 580 and it can only muster 34% increase in performance according to those, while a 7970 is only 32% faster then GTX 580 in BF3. Something is out of place about those tests.

04dcarraher

ROPs could be bottlenecking these stream processor monsters. There are professional GpGPU markets that doesn't rely on ROPs.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"][QUOTE="tequilasunriser"] Well pissing and moaning about it won't help. Man up and quit being a sissy about it.

GummiRaccoon

lmao, **yawn** did you think that one up yourself? is tequilla your butt buddy or something, so you gotta step in? this poor thread got off topic raped by the butthurt fanboys, im sorry i said anything tc, didnt realize you guys took it so personal
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"] who cares. i wasnt talking to you, i just gave a reason as to why i jumped on tc a bit. FVCK OFFTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

lmao, **yawn** did you think that one up yourself? is tequilla your butt buddy or something, so you gotta step in? this poor thread got off topic raped by the butthurt fanboys, im sorry i said anything tc, didnt realize you guys took it so personal

yeah stfu and gtfo kkthxbai

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

lol
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"] lmao, **yawn** did you think that one up yourself? is tequilla your butt buddy or something, so you gotta step in? this poor thread got off topic raped by the butthurt fanboys, im sorry i said anything tc, didnt realize you guys took it so personalTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

lol

Hi my name is this is sparta, I am edgy because I use leetspeak, lol >.< I mean l33t $p33k, and I reference popular movies and I smoke. Oh wait I just quit smoking but I am going to cry about it like a blubbering vagina.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Nice derailing here, though I agree with the regular skewing of results.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]haha well im trying to quit, cold turkey, the hardest way but the most effectiveTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

You're not doing a good job of trolling us softly. ;)
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

lol

Hi my name is this is sparta, I am edgy because I use leetspeak, lol >.< I mean l33t $p33k, and I reference popular movies and I smoke. Oh wait I just quit smoking but I am going to cry about it like a blubbering vagina.

your really using all your brain power for this one arent ya? have fun
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"][QUOTE="tequilasunriser"] Well pissing and moaning about it won't help. Man up and quit being a sissy about it.

tequilasunriser

i never troll in the first place except dumbass tc, lol he still hasnt came back to explain what he was even talking about hahah i have no clue

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tequilasunriser
i never troll in the first place TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
:roll:
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"] who cares. i wasnt talking to you, i just gave a reason as to why i jumped on tc a bit. FVCK OFFTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

i never troll in the first place except dumbass tc, lol he still hasnt came back to explain what he was even talking about hahah i have no clue

LAMLAMLAMLAM

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

[QUOTE="TH1Sx1SxSPARTA"]

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"] You're not doing a good job of trolling us softly. ;)GummiRaccoon

LAMLAMLAMLAM

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronvalencia

i have apparently legitimate results with a gtx 680 vs a 7970. generally they are better vs tahiti xt however sometimes they are not.

arkham city maxed out @ 1080p:

gtx 680: 57fps

hd 7970: 49fps

bf3 maxed @ 1080p:

CoDmw3 maxed @ 1080p:

gtx 680 & hd 7970: tied @ 74fps

unigine:

gtx 680:46.5

hd 7970:41.5

LP2 @ 1080p:

gtx 680: 73.4fps

hd 7970: 58.5

3dmark 11: generally over hd 7970's results by 1.7k to 2k points across all presets @ 1080p

granted these were stock results

testbed was as follows:

LN2 cooled core i7 SB-e 3960x

8gb ddr3

ASUS RoG board

1200 watt psu

http://www.techpowerup.com/162498/GTX-680-Generally-Faster-Than-HD-7970-New-Benchmarks.html

here comes the pain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN0zMe5pLX8

ionusX

"I was expecting more from the GTX 680."

link

Default clock speed for AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

whats wrong with those results? It seems reasonable, and btw increasing shader count DOES NOT mean better performance across the board. It just means the card will handle shader heavy games better and thats all it means.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

oh yeah that reminds me...nvidia claimed "GeForce GTX 680 Is 40% Faster Than AMD Radeon HD 7970". Heres the link:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/GeForce-GTX-680-Is-40-faster-than-AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-Review-258452.shtml

in reality the 680 ends up about 3-10% faster in most cases like ive been predicting all along...well looks like nvidia just ownd themselves, heres a pic of ownage:

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

So far i'm fine with my current specs.. looks like performance wise these 2 new cards are close so it all comes down to price...

I'll probably get the HD7970 later on this summer..