GTX 660 under performing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bunny569 (1181 posts) -

I just recently upgraded from a 22" monitor (1680x1050) to a 24" monitor (1920x1080)

After noticing that the resolution took a bit of a performance hit i decided to get the GTX 660 2GB, upgrading from the GTX 460 1GB

Right off the bat i uninstall previous display drivers, DC pro and then install the new drivers.

I launch a few games, every game once it finishes loading a map or campaign mode my computer would restart, no bluescreen nothing.

I figured right away it's the power supply as it is a 500W power supply, not the best quality brand either.

I install a 650W corsair power supply and all my games work, i notice my hard drive getting very noisy, almost to the point where it began to worry me of its lifespan as i have had it for a few years (WD cavier black)

I reformat my pc and install Starcraft 2, Crysis 2, CS:GO and Max Payne 3.

Upon running these games, there seems to be quite a tiny bit of stutter, its not as fluent or smooth as it should be, i mean it looks smooth but it still feels like its holding back. I guess this time i am assuming its my hard drive that can't perform well anymore, or could it be that i have a bad GTX 660? i get about 40-50fps on Starcraft 2 in extreme settings. also on CS:GO i get about 90-150fps but even with such high fps there is always a corner or so that makes me stutter a tiny bit.

Crysis 2 i get about 30-40fps on ultra

Or could it be the fact that my motherboard does not support PCI-E 3.0? is there any performace difference between PCI-E 2.0 16x and 3.0?

Specs:

CPU: Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz (@3.6ghz OC)

GPU: GTX 660 2GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

PSU: Corsair 650W

Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty pro

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 7200RPM 1TB

Edit: The reason i reformated my hard drive was because my performance was either the same or worse, and my hard drive was so noisy and my desktop running too slow i figured it needed a clean up, hard drive is a bit more quiet now but noisy when i load anything.

#2 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

Get rid of the dinosaur mechanical HDD, which is probably failing from the sound of things, and get an SSD. I'd be willing to be that's what's holding you back. An SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can make to a modern computer, and the prices on them have plummeted recently.

I'm pretty sure when you run this it's going to come back with a bunch of SMART errors on the health tab:

http://www.hdtune.com/

#3 Posted by Horgen (110168 posts) -

Get rid of the dinosaur mechanical HDD, which is probably failing from the sound of things, and get an SSD. I'd be willing to be that's what's holding you back. An SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can make to a modern computer, and the prices on them have plummeted recently.

I'm pretty sure when you run this it's going to come back with a bunch of SMART errors on the health tab:

bigfoot2045
Have both. SSD for OS, the HDD for other things.
#4 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

horgen123

That's what I meant. SSD for OS, programs, and games. HDD for storing files. Although it sounds like his HDD is failing and probably needs to be replaced as well.

#5 Posted by MaskedPlayer (979 posts) -

[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

That's what I meant. SSD for OS, programs, and games. HDD for storing files. Although it sounds like his HDD is failing and probably needs to be replaced as well.

HDD for files and games.
#6 Posted by bigfoot2045 (773 posts) -

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

[QUOTE="horgen123"] Have both. SSD for OS, the HDD for other things. MaskedPlayer

HDD for files and games.

If you like long load times. If you get a big enough SSD, there's no need to put games on a HDD. Not putting your games on the SSD is like buying a Lambo and never driving above 60mph.

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"][QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

bigfoot2045

HDD for files and games.

If you like long load times. If you get a big enough SSD, there's no need to put games on a HDD. Not putting your games on the SSD is like buying a Lambo and never driving above 60mph.

I have over 500GB of games, that's not gonna fit on an SSD. TC, do a disk check.
#8 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

the main issue is likely your cpu, it is a bit dated. But still the frames aren't that bad that you need to change the cpu out.

#9 Posted by superclocked (5831 posts) -
Your harddrive will only affect load times. Once the data is in your RAM, your hdd is taken out of the equation until more data needs to be loaded. Games such as SC2 won't be affected by this.. As blaznwiipspman1 said, your CPU is likely holding back your videocard a bit. But I agree with him that it's not bad enough to warrant another upgrade. Hell, I'm still using an old Core 2 Duo overclocked to 4.5GHz...
#10 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

Your probably being bottlenecked a bit by your CPU

#11 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Try kicking up your 965 to 3.8GHz. Report back. You should get better framerate with that CPU. From what I've read, a GTX 660Ti is slightly better than a GTX 580. So I had a setup very similar to yours (965, GTX 580) before I switched over to i5-2500k. HDD only affects load times. Not framerate/performance.
#12 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

it's not under performing. It's a terrible card.

Do your research next time.

#13 Posted by FelipeInside (25877 posts) -

Try kicking up your 965 to 3.8GHz. Report back. You should get better framerate with that CPU. From what I've read, a GTX 660Ti is slightly better than a GTX 580. So I had a setup very similar to yours (965, GTX 580) before I switched over to i5-2500k. HDD only affects load times. Not framerate/performance.Elann2008

It can if it's dying.

I remember a guy once brought in his PC cause Call of Duty was lagging. We found out HDD had bad sectors, replaced it and the lag was gone. (It was more stutter than lag but you know what I mean)

#14 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Try kicking up your 965 to 3.8GHz. Report back. You should get better framerate with that CPU. From what I've read, a GTX 660Ti is slightly better than a GTX 580. So I had a setup very similar to yours (965, GTX 580) before I switched over to i5-2500k. HDD only affects load times. Not framerate/performance.FelipeInside

It can if it's dying.

I remember a guy once brought in his PC cause Call of Duty was lagging. We found out HDD had bad sectors, replaced it and the lag was gone. (It was more stutter than lag but you know what I mean)

Quite possible. Do a chkdsk and report if there are bad sectors. They should be repaired. If not, then the HDD is failing.

#15 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

it's not under performing. It's a terrible card.

Do your research next time.

jakes456
lol no, matches 580 90% of the time. Not a bad card.