GTX 660 PC keeps restarting!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bunny569
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts

2 days ago I we had a blackout here, couple of counties, not just my street. After that my computer hasn't been the same. Today when I wanted to play some Counter Strike Global Offensive, or Dota 2, also Just Cause 2 multiplayer. All my full 3D games perform a bit choppy and after about 10-30sec My PC fans get very loud and sounds like they shoot to 100% fan speed and then almost immediately reboots the PC.

I have spent the day cleaning all the hardware from dust, new Thermal Compound on the CPU and GPU, reset the Bios, made sure all drivers/bios are up to date, everything was working fine but earlier was getting display drivers stopped working. Then was getting some direct X errors, I can play 2D games like example i was running some "emulation" and I also could watch 1080P Bluray movies, everything works fine but up to the point where I want to play some more demanding 3D games all this happends.

I switched the power strip as well to a newer one. I tested the RAM, only thing I couldn't test is the PSU and GPU, Though really what I came here for is wether I should risk buying a new power supply even though i am currently broke, as it would be the least cost solution for me, anyone have any suggestions?

specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965 BE (stock clock 3.4GHz) 

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V6 GT

PSU: Corsair 650W

GPU: GTX 660 2GB (Non Ti)

Sound Card: X-Fi Fatal1ty extreme gamer

RAM: 4GB GSkill (2x2GB DDR 2 1600)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Check if you can RMA your graphics card

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

That's most likely hardware but you could do a dxdiag command to see if all looks well. Since you are not a PC shop, might be good to take it to one. It's most likely the card though. Reset all your video settings to default too.

BeerMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BeerMage
Member since 2009 • 267 Posts

Are you using the crappy 320.18 driver? If yes, download a different driver and see what happens before you declare faulty hardware.

You should get in contact with the manufacturer of your card and see if you can RMA. It may even be your PSU so contact Corsair and see what they have to say.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

2 days ago I we had a blackout here, couple of counties, not just my street. After that my computer hasn't been the same. Today when I wanted to play some Counter Strike Global Offensive, or Dota 2, also Just Cause 2 multiplayer. All my full 3D games perform a bit choppy and after about 10-30sec My PC fans get very loud and sounds like they shoot to 100% fan speed and then almost immediately reboots the PC.

I have spent the day cleaning all the hardware from dust, new Thermal Compound on the CPU and GPU, reset the Bios, made sure all drivers/bios are up to date, everything was working fine but earlier was getting display drivers stopped working. Then was getting some direct X errors, I can play 2D games like example i was running some "emulation" and I also could watch 1080P Bluray movies, everything works fine but up to the point where I want to play some more demanding 3D games all this happends.

I switched the power strip as well to a newer one. I tested the RAM, only thing I couldn't test is the PSU and GPU, Though really what I came here for is wether I should risk buying a new power supply even though i am currently broke, as it would be the least cost solution for me, anyone have any suggestions?

specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 965 BE (stock clock 3.4GHz) 

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V6 GT

PSU: Corsair 650W

GPU: GTX 660 2GB (Non Ti)

Sound Card: X-Fi Fatal1ty extreme gamer

RAM: 4GB GSkill (2x2GB DDR 2 1600)

bunny569

try msi kombustor and the latest drivers of your graphics card

run prime 95

See if it crashes and report back

Avatar image for estrofadelhimno
estrofadelhimno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 estrofadelhimno
Member since 2005 • 29 Posts

I had the same (and some other) problems with a GTX 560, turns out it was the latest Nvidia drivers, I had to switch back to the previous version.

bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bunny569

Are you using the crappy 320.18 driver? If yes, download a different driver and see what happens before you declare faulty hardware.

You should get in contact with the manufacturer of your card and see if you can RMA. It may even be your PSU so contact Corsair and see what they have to say.

BeerMage
I had a feeling it may be the drivers, i will download the latest beta driver and report back
ice_ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ice_ranger
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts
Thats your PSU causing problem not other components try replacing it, I used to had this same problem.
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bunny569

Thats your PSU causing problem not other components try replacing it, I used to had this same problem.ice_ranger
I would have to agree at this point since not even the latest beta drivers help resolve this issue, thanks