GTX 280 Power Supply and Connectors

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Targzissian (1219 posts) -

Okay, I just thought I'd get this off my chest. I just bought a GTX 280 to replace my pair of 8800 Ultras, which were not giving me adequate performance and stability (i.e. run in SLI they tended to have driver related crashes too frequently, even with nVidia's latest drivers). So I go to install it and I see that my power connectors are dual 6-pin connectors, where the inputs on the card are a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. Well the dual 6-pin connectors fit fine into the 6-pin and 8-pin slots, it just leaves two pins unused. However, the computer won't boot up or send any signal to the monitor. So I reinstall one of the 8800 Ultras and go online, then I read that the GTX 280 won't work with dual 6-pin connectors.

I'm getting really annoyed, because I just bought my current PSU (an Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt) last year when I upgraded from dual 7800GTX, because the old Enermax Liberty I was running didn't have the right power connectors or enough juice for the dual 8800 Ultras. It was supposed to be future-proof! Whatever happened to the days when you could just swap out a graphics card and not have to buy a new PSU every time you upgraded the graphics card? Ahhh, the good old days of AGP, always backward compatible with the previous generation... None of this worrying about power connectors.

So I guess I need to buy a new PSU again. I just hope the next generation of graphics cards don't force me to do this again! Any recommendations for a good PSU (1000W or greater) with 6-pin and 8-pin PCI Express auxilliary power connectors? I hope it really will be future-proof for at least a couple more years. I'll have to keep upgrading graphics cards until I get flawless performance in Crysis at 2560x1600 with all effects maxed. The GeForce GTX 280 is supposed to only give 14 or 15 FPS, so that means I'll probably be upgrading the graphics card again within two years. I really hope whatever PSU I upgrade to this time will be ready when that time comes.

#2 Posted by quocthai (1995 posts) -
just by a molex to 8 pin connector. Your PSu has more than enough juice so i don't think it will reduce the life of the the gtx280.
#3 Posted by andyroo08 (2082 posts) -
#4 Posted by Targzissian (1219 posts) -

I need to go from 6-pin to 8-pin, so I will look for suitable adapters. I don't want to buy a new PSU if I can avoid it as the Galaxy 1000W should really be adequate. It just doesn't have the necessary connections.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#5 Posted by Targzissian (1219 posts) -

Hey! I just looked in the box more carefully and found a two 6-pin to one 8-pin adapter provided by EVGA. There is a warning provided from EVGA as well, saying this is supposed to be a temporary solution only. However, I figure my Enermax Galaxy 1000W should be able to handle it, and worst case scenario something will go wrong and it will be time to upgrade again. Whoopie!!

I usually just like to plug things in and start playing. None of this looking in the box or reading instructions for me!

Thanks!

#6 Posted by analgrin (111 posts) -

Hi, ive had a GTX 280 since they cam out, i too have a 1000w psu. I used the 8\6 pin adapters that came with the card. I occasionally had card failures due to lack of power (red light comes on around the back where hot air escapes). Found other people on forums having same prob, turns out the adapters were at fault and have since bought some others and have had no more crashes.

Just thought id let you know incase you run into simolar probs. Its a great card

#7 Posted by xatman911 (1446 posts) -

Hi, I am running a Q6600 and GTX280 on a Enermax Liberty 500W PSU. I had to use two 2x molex to 6 pin pcie with one 2x 6 pin pcie to 8 pin pcie since GTX 280 requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin pcie connector. Liberty is older line than Galaxy and the capacitors have started showing their age. I would not dare overclock my rig just in case there is a minature nuke going off in the case, XD. It sucks being a student, you can't afford anything high end without skimping on something.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (28792 posts) -

The OP is from 3 years ago­...

#9 Posted by xatman911 (1446 posts) -

The OP is from 3 years ago­...

MonsieurX
I found that out after I posted. To be honest it took me 3 years of hard work to buy this stuff. This form was relevant via Google search so I posted hoping for an informative reply. I intend to upgrade my PSU so I can over clock my rig but my budget is bit limited. If I go over it, it is back to washing cars till I save enough, lol.