Graphics Card curiosity?

#1 Posted by LordFuhnee (22 posts) -

I have this old, old Dell Optiplex 360 with an Intel Pentium E2200, 2 (awful) gb of RAM, and it runs off of integrated graphics in the CPU. I know this is definitely not a gaming computer, it used to be used in an office. But I noticed an empty GPU slot in the computer and I am curious of how much a graphics card would improve the performance of the computer for games.

I know people are going to say "dude dont bother buying a graphics card for that piece of crap just get a new better computer rhu rhu rhu" I just want to know if a graphics card would make a big difference or not really any difference because the computer is so old.

#2 Posted by GTR12 (9925 posts) -

@lordfuhnee:

A huge improvement.

#3 Posted by insane_metalist (6502 posts) -

With that setup I wouldn't go higher then GTX 750 Ti.

#4 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

I wouldn't go higher than a gt 440

#5 Edited by insane_metalist (6502 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@insane_metalist said:

Yeah, bottleneck will be the problem.

#6 Posted by 04dcarraher (20102 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

@geniobastardo said:

@insane_metalist said:

even still GT 440 is weaker then a 8800GT and the E2200 is a C2D based cpu it will handle a GTX 750 just fine with majority of games

#7 Edited by GTR12 (9925 posts) -

It might use AGP guys.

#8 Edited by Coseniath (1057 posts) -

Hello.

Pentium E2200 doesn't have an integrated GPU.

The GPU must come from motherboard's chipset which will tell us also if it supports PCI-E. (cause I agree with @GTR12 it might not have any PCI-E as many LGA775 mobos don't.)

#9 Posted by thehig1 (2841 posts) -

So if it's agp something like a radeon 4670 is about as good as you can get.

#10 Posted by GTR12 (9925 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

Unless you can find the very rare/almost non-existent 8800 AGP.

#11 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@geniobastardo said:

@insane_metalist said:

even still GT 440 is weaker then a 8800GT and the E2200 is a C2D based cpu it will handle a GTX 750 just fine with majority of games

I've used a GT 440 in past for 720p gaming and it ran most of the games just fine. For a 750 ti, don't you think the ram will be a problem?

#12 Posted by thehig1 (2841 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

@thehig1 said:

Unless you can find the very rare/almost non-existent 8800 AGP.

you were not kidding about how rare that card is, I cant find one for sale anywhere.

The 4670 I found was £80 HD 4670

It can play a fair few games on decent settings, It could handle Bioshock Infinite on Medium and Far Cry on a mix of medium and high settings.

#13 Edited by 04dcarraher (20102 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@geniobastardo said:

@insane_metalist said:

I've used a GT 440 in past for 720p gaming and it ran most of the games just fine. For a 750 ti, don't you think the ram will be a problem?

GT 440 is still slower then a 8800GT dont mean it cant run games ok. ram and gpu have no direct bearing on each other I remember someone in the past pairing an Pentium 4 with 1gb DDR and a 8800GT and funny enough it ran quite a few games better then I thought it would lol

#14 Posted by 04dcarraher (20102 posts) -

The E2200 was released in late 2007 I highly doubt that the motherboard is AGP.

#15 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

@geniobastardo said:

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@geniobastardo said:

@insane_metalist said:

GT 440 is still slower then a 8800GT dont mean it cant run games ok. ram and gpu have no direct bearing on each other I remember someone in the past pairing an Pentium 4 with 1gb DDR and a 8800GT and funny enough it ran quite a few games better then I thought it would lol

lol that reminds me of my friend's P4 that had a 3gb ddr ram with a gt 220 and he easily maxed out Mass Effect 3 at 30 fps.

#16 Posted by mastershake575 (8359 posts) -

I don't know why people are questioning his slots when he gave us his computer model (I typed Dell Optiplex 360 in google, clicked the first link and on page 5 is said PCI xpress x16). It literally took me a minute to find the answer

#17 Edited by Coseniath (1057 posts) -
@mastershake575 said:

I don't know why people are questioning his slots when he gave us his computer model (I typed Dell Optiplex 360 in google, clicked the first link and on page 5 is said PCI xpress x16). It literally took me a minute to find the answer

You do know that Dell just names a model "Dell Optiplex 360" and it could have anything inside? example 1, 2, 3.

So I would love to hear from OP what version of Dell Optiplex he has rather than guessing...

#18 Edited by Tigarian (213 posts) -

I definitely wouldn't spend more than something like 70 bucks on a Geforce 630 unless you can find a good deal on something used which is hit or miss. You will have to upgrade the power supply from the puny 250 watt stock one so add at least 30 to 50 bucks on to the cost. Playing any decent game and running Vista or higher really could use 4 GB ram which could add another 40 bucks to the price at which point you are spending too much money and effort on an out of date system.

You might be able to find something decent used in your local classifieds but other than that, you might as well just save up a bit and build a newer system. Even a 400 dollar budget gaming system would be a vast improvement not just to your games, but your regular stuff as well.

#19 Posted by 04dcarraher (20102 posts) -

@Coseniath said:
@mastershake575 said:

You do know that Dell just names a model "Dell Optiplex 360" and it could have anything inside? example 1, 2, 3.

So I would love to hear from OP what version of Dell Optiplex he has rather than guessing...

The E2200 was released in late 2007 so he is using at least a late 2007 to 2008 based system so chances are that its using PCI-E.

#20 Edited by mastershake575 (8359 posts) -

@Coseniath said:
@mastershake575 said:

You do know that Dell just names a model "Dell Optiplex 360" and it could have anything inside?

The Dell 360 is a line of similar desktops. The motherboard stays the same while they change the processor/ram amounts depending on the price bracket (the link I found has like 10 different CPU's all used on the same motherboard).

Most companies do this (keep the basic parts the same and change processor/ram depending on what price bracket they are targeting).

The real concern should be whether he has the mini or mid tower version (for his sake I hope he has the mid tower version !).

#21 Edited by Johnny_Rock (40122 posts) -

@GTR12 said:

It might use AGP guys.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

#22 Posted by SaintSatan (856 posts) -

I had a similar situation many many years ago. I bought a cheap $100 graphics card and it made a massive improvement. Just make sure your PSU (power supply unit) can handle whatever card you buy. Most cheaper/low end cards should not require you to upgrade the PSU.

#23 Edited by Coseniath (1057 posts) -

@mastershake575 @04dcarraher: Well maybe you are right with this one. In the past, Dell confused me so much with their models that I always ask than trying to guess. Especially in the core i era where some of them don't even write what core i architecture they are (from nehalem to haswell, they just type pe: "core i5").

Also...

@k3ck: Dell always uses small PSUs and I found that this model might use a 235watt one (or a 255watt one...).

#24 Edited by CWEBB04z (4621 posts) -

@Johnny_Rock said:

@GTR12 said:

It might use AGP guys.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It can't be that old to use AGP slots.