Good Stealth Games?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhilosophiCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 PhilosophiCon
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

Does anyone know of a good "stealth" game, short of MGS?

Like, sneaking around, not getting caught, being very... Well, stealthy.

But, I would like a game like this that has some depth. Some story and such.

Just a good stealth game for the PC.

Any recommendations appreciated =]

EDIT: Also, figured I'd mention, I don't have the best PC in the world.

Nvidia Geforce 6200 w/ 256 MB RAM, AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB RAM.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
I have just the games for you. The thief series. It's definitely not heavy on your pc. You can also try Prisoner of war.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

According to the Gamespot review for No One Lives Forever 2, stealth can be used a lot in the game. I just got it earlier tonight but I have not had a chance to play it yet. I'm not sure if it's a proper stealth game.

Edit: Definitely check out the Thief games, as the above poster suggested 8)

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Theif: Deadly Shadows

Splinter Cell

No One Lives Forever 2

Assassin's Creed

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

According to the Gamespot review for No One Lives Forever 2, stealth can be used a lot in the game. I just got it earlier tonight but I have not had a chance to play it yet. I'm not sure if it's a proper stealth game.

Edit: Definitely check out the Thief games, as the above poster suggested 8)

Herrick

yea, i just go it too the other day. it's got a lot of stealth but is optional in most missions.

the biggest difference between it and MSG is that it's in first person mode rather than third.

PhilosophiCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PhilosophiCon

Thanks, guys =]

I'll definitley check out the Thief games, and No One Lives Forever 2.

#Flipin

I used to have Splinter Cell 2 on the Playstation, I think =]

I'll check that out, and see how far the series has gone and how it looks on PC.

Also, I have Assassin's Creed on 360, and there's no way I could run it on my PC :P (and I don't consider it a stealth game, with the way I play it =] )

Thanks, guys.

zebruter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zebruter
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

NOLF 2 has stealth in some missions. but it is not needed to make it through the game really. it is a great game and i highly recommend it. just know that many missions have no stealth requirement and it's not even an option in some (i.e. daylight, open spaces).

z

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

the game that has the best stealth system is chronicles of riddick, imo. vampyre: the masquerade - bloodlines utilizes stealth pretty effectively as well.

some have mentioned the nolf series, but as much as i love nolf, i kinda dislike its stealth system; it can get pretty frustrating, especially in nolf.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I am depressed to see mention of Deadly Shadows and yet no mention of either of the first two games. The first two Thief games have pretty much, undoubtedly, the greatest stealth gameplay in existence. You stalk the shadows and avoid combat at all costs and still get away with the loot.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
while other games allow stealth gameplay, the Thief series are ALL about stealth. coupled that with great atmosphere, fantastic level design and a gripping story, you have the absolute best stealth games in the industry, bar none.
death5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 death5ter
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

Call of Cthulhu

Spunky1119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spunky1119
Member since 2005 • 93 Posts
if you download gametap you can play theif for free
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

Thief 1 & 2 are perfect for everything you're talking about. It's not intense (both games were made in 1998 and 2000 respectively), the stealth is considered the best (not to mention it practically began the Stealth FPS genre). The game is very deep, and the story is gripping, and beautifully told through some dark narration and stunning artwork cinematics.

These two games, I think, are exactly what you're looking for. They really have better AI than most games today.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

The Thief series is easily the best, and NOLF 2 is pretty good, so definitely check those out.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Hitman games yet - they were awesome. You might also want to try:

• Beyond Good and Evil
  • Oddwolrd: Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus
  • Vampire Bloodlines (one of the playable clans is entirely focused on stealth, and the game rewards you for completing missions stealthily)
  • Deus Ex
  • FarCry
  • Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
  • Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (there are a few unarmed stealth sections)
  • Chronicles of Ridd*ck: Escape from Butcher Bay
  • Call of Juarez
Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

As mentioned by Planeforger, you might also be interested in the Hitman series.

The first 2 are free on gametap.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Thief series, Splinter Cell series, Deus Ex and NOLF series.
Khaine775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Khaine775
Member since 2005 • 8181 Posts
Splinter Cell! :D
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Thief 1-3: They are all fantastic games with great storylines. If you are going to start with the first one make sure you get Thief: Gold because it contains 3 extra missions!!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Thief 1-3: They are all fantastic games with great storylines. If you are going to start with the first one make sure you get Thief: Gold because it contains 3 extra missions!! biggest_loser

I don't think it really matters which version you get considering the massive amount of community maps that have been made for the games.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
ah yeah, like someone mentioned playing as a nosferatu in vampire the mascarade is awesome, you literally cant ever let any of the towns people see you.
PhilosophiCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PhilosophiCon

Amazing guys, thanks =]

I've got Theif - Deadly Shadows from Gametap (I didn't know they gave away free full games. Thank you guys so much for telling me that, that's amazing), and I'll definitely check out all other suggestions.

Thanks much =]

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts
I just have to say that the first two Thief games are a whole lot better than Thief Deadly Shadows, plus they have hundreds of user created missions. ;)
ferret837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ferret837
Member since 2004 • 1942 Posts
The splinter cell series, or theif.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
The Splinter Cell games are great. The first 2-3 splinter cell games shouldn't be too computer taxing.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
Splinter Cell series is quite good.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts
splinter cell chaos theory is one of the best for me personally
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
If there is no taffing about, then it's not a true stealth game.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 biggest_loser

I just have to say that the first two Thief games are a whole lot better than Thief Deadly Shadows, plus they have hundreds of user created missions. ;)HenriH-42

How is Deadly Shadows any worse than the other games? It follows the same formula largely.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HenriH-42

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]I just have to say that the first two Thief games are a whole lot better than Thief Deadly Shadows, plus they have hundreds of user created missions. ;)biggest_loser

How is Deadly Shadows any worse than the other games? It follows the same formula largely.

Sigh this has been discussed so many times at TTLG but here's a few;

- They removed a LOT of features, like rope arrows and swimming

- HORRIBLY small levels, due to horrible game engine (Dark Engine > all) and because of multiplatform development on Xbox, it just feels a lot more consolized

- Leaning sucks, and no more leaning forward (I know, minor thing but still affects gameplay)

- Has very few fan missions, whereas Thief 1 & 2 have like what, 500?

It did a few things right though, I loved sneaking around the city, allying with hamemers or pagans and the Cradle was the most atmospheric level I've ever seen.. I'm not saying it's bad, it's a great game and a much MUCH better sequel than that horrible abomination Deus Ex Invisible War was... But it's still not as good as TDP and TMA, IMO.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser

- They removed a LOT of features, like rope arrows and swimming

HenriH-42

You don't even need the rope arrows since you have the climbing gloves and there weren't any points in the game that I said that wished I had them. Swimming, meh, again not many areas you would actually need that

- HORRIBLY small levels, due to horrible game engine (Dark Engine > all) and because of multiplatform development on Xbox, it just feels a lot more consolized

HenriH-42

While the levels are broken into two, there is much content in either half. I really don't mind it in this game since all that breaking it up is a brief load screen. They are bigger than IW certainly. I don't care if it was released on console or not, at least they are getting to play Thief. The engine looks a lot better than the Dark Engine obviously due to the dynamic light effects etc. I suspect that this is the reason why the levels are broken up because it would take a lot more power back when it was released to have that kind of graphical quality in larger levels - it really doesn't affect the game that much having them split in two by a brief load screen IMO.

- Leaning sucks, and no more leaning forward (I know, minor thing but still affects gameplay)

HenriH-42

Bit of a exaggerated complaint to put as much you know what on the game as possible.

HenriH-42

Thats not the developers fault lol, thats the fans my friend.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HenriH-42
Most people usually like the old Thief more, but meh, nothing wrong with liking TDS as I said it's a great game - but most fans would agree that it pales in comparison to the originals. The originals were something special, once in a decade kind of thing, Deadly Shadows is "just" good.
asad_azam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 asad_azam
Member since 2006 • 68 Posts
Play Splinter Cell and Hitman.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Thief: DS felt more like a.. mainstream game, it's more to the poinbt of what you should do etc. While the first two Thiefs' put you in a levle and let you do as you like while still keeping the story intact. I personally like Thief: DS the most, because it feels like my kind of game. This might be because I tried the other two thiefs after that game though.. But well, they're all great.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Qixote
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]I just have to say that the first two Thief games are a whole lot better than Thief Deadly Shadows, plus they have hundreds of user created missions. ;)HenriH-42

You have to pardon biggest_loser. He has a nasty habit of questioning everyone that doesn't like Deadly Shadows as much as he did.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Qixote

You don't even need the rope arrows since you have the climbing gloves and there weren't any points in the game that I said that wished I had them. Swimming, meh, again not many areas you would actually need that

biggest_loser

There weren't many points that would have benefitted from rope arrows because all missions had much smaller areas to scale than the previous games. There simply wasn't as much to explore. And climbing gloves. . . LOL. I still can't believe you like Ion Storm's cheap replacement of rope arrows since their game engine could not support them.

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

biggest_loser

Nope, it is indeed Ion Storm's fault. Despite the desperate pleas from the Thief fanbase, they didn't release a game editor when Deadly Shadows was released. They did finally release one about a year later, but it is much harder to work with than editor for the older games. And the game engine is much more complicated, yet limited, to work with so not many fan missions have been made. Funny, people are still making more Thief 2 fan missions than for Deadly Shadows.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Qixote

There weren't many points that would have benefitted from rope arrows because all missions had much smaller areas to scale than the previous games. There simply wasn't as much to explore. And climbing gloves. . . LOL. I still can't believe you like Ion Storm's cheap replacement of rope arrows since their game engine could not support them.

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

biggest_loser

Nope, it is indeed Ion Storm's fault. Despite the desperate pleas from the Thief fanbase, they didn't release a game editor when Deadly Shadows was released. They did finally release one about a year later, but it is much harder to work with than editor for the older games. And the game engine is much more complicated, yet limited, to work with so not many fan missions have been made. Funny, people are still making more Thief 2 fan missions than for Deadly Shadows.

There was heaps of exploring! There is as much content in the missions as the other only that it was split in half by a load screen.

I don't care about the editor. To me at least it is still a great game. But each to their own.

SIN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

#37 SIN55
Member since 2003 • 248 Posts
I thought Far Cry was a pretty fun stealthy game. Although it falls way short on the story side, sneaking around tropical islands and picking off mercs from the bushes was really fun.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

So many posts, and only two mentions of Escape from Butcher Bay? For shame, my PC gaming brethren.

For shame.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Try Assassin's Creed

l0ve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#41 l0ve
Member since 2005 • 3178 Posts
Chronicles of Riddick for sure, also Hitman Blood Money is a fantastic game, so many ways to go about a level its awesome.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

There was heaps of exploring! There is as much content in the missions as the other only that it was split in half by a load screen.

I don't care about the editor. To me at least it is still a great game. But each to their own.

Biggest Loser, I agree with you. I did not feel that the game was very dumbed down compared to the first 2 (unlike deus ex). The gameplay is still great, if anything it's enhanced (imo) due to slightly open world feeling. People love to complain about sequels for stupid reasons. The atmosphere was just as amazing as always in the game (one of the most important parts of a thief game). I'd rather have smaller, but more detailed and better looking levels, than wider and more empty looking levels.

On another note: For a game that came out in what- 2003? I still think the graphics are pretty amazing, the lighting and soft bloom effects in particular. I still love the whole thief series though, so don't get me wrong.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Assassin's Creed! ...and the Splinter Cell series.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

Hitman Blood Money. you cannot i say, cannot afford to miss this game

morpheus077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 morpheus077
Member since 2006 • 1095 Posts

I hear alot of hype behind the theif series, sadly Ive never played them. I reccomend splinter cell, 1,2,3, hitman 2 and blood money, Oblivion actually has some decent stealth in it and when you enhance it with mods it can be an amazing stealth adventure.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

The Thief series is the best stealth game ever IMO. I love them. I ve played every one countless times. THe most recent one is kinda ehhh but the first two are gold.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 biggest_loser
I'd like to add Batman to this ol' thread :D
YetiMouNtain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YetiMouNtain
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Age Of Mythology, Rise of legends, r both great. war of the ring is ok
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
You should try the Thief series.
fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

Try Assassin's Creed

guildclaws
Necro-bump ftl, And Assassin's Creed is hardly a stealth game.