Good gaming laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

So me and my girlfriend are looking for a laptop to buy. She mainly wants it for Facebook, and YouTube. I mainly want it for gaming. So I have an option in either getting her a cheap laptop and building my own desktop computer or getting a good gaming laptop that we both can use. Is this laptop a good gaming laptop? ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71. Or should I go for an alienware laptop instead?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Jr14: ASUS is good if you're own a budget. Alienware is the absolute top of the line. Get what you can afford.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

What's your budget? I think you'll probably end up better off getting a desktop for yourself and a cheapo lappy for the mrs. She wont need much performance for browsing the web and then she can't moan when you're hogging it. Then it will be easier to just upgrade in the future too, laptops don't have much flexibility on that front. Heat is more of an issue too.

Not just saying that as part of the anti gaming laptop brigade either, I have one myself. If it doesn't need to be a laptop though it's best avoided I'd say.

ice_ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ice_ranger
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

Go for MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3k or Lenovo Y50 touch. Asus is amazing too.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

It will work out cheaper and better to use separate devices. It also means you can both use them at the same time. If all she needs is facebook and youtube she might even prefer a tablet.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Jr14 said:

So me and my girlfriend are looking for a laptop to buy. She mainly wants it for Facebook, and YouTube. I mainly want it for gaming. So I have an option in either getting her a cheap laptop and building my own desktop computer or getting a good gaming laptop that we both can use. Is this laptop a good gaming laptop? ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71. Or should I go for an alienware laptop instead?

This is always the best option unless you travel so much your never at home.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

Yea, try to avoid laptops. There great if you have to have portability but if not go for a desktop. A good laptop going to cost over a grand usd. Then just get her a normal laptop or tablet and youll save quite a bit of money.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9  Edited By jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

What games are you trying to play?

I bought my fiancee a cheap Acer. Plays a ton of games just fine on it while also pushing 7-8 hours of battery life.

Acer Aspire V3-572G-54S6 $549

I would go with something like this and then spend the excess money on building a desktop. This way, you can play together, give her something that can actually play a game, and be a good laptop backup for you to play something and take around.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

It will work out cheaper and better to use separate devices. It also means you can both use them at the same time. If all she needs is facebook and youtube she might even prefer a tablet.

This ^^

Desktop and a tablet.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@jedikevin2 said:

What games are you trying to play?

I bought my fiancee a cheap Acer. Plays a ton of games just fine on it while also pushing 7-8 hours of battery life.

Acer Aspire V3-572G-54S6 $549

I would go with something like this and then spend the excess money on building a desktop. This way, you can play together, give her something that can actually play a game, and be a good laptop backup for you to play something and take around.

THIS IS THE BEST answer.. It depends entirely on what your going to play.. We have people who have been playing games like Xcom Enemy Unknown, Shogun 2 etc etc games that can be played well on modern mid range hardware that have been doing it for years..

I facepalm from the majority of responses in these type of threads because they usually boil down to responses like "Don't get a laptop get a desktop, laptops aren't meant for "serious" gaming".. This statement always makes me facepalm because some of the best games on the platform are extremely low demanding games.. It depends entirely on what genres your into and what kinds of games your going to play.. This "hardware" elitism I have seen lately is quite hilarious because it basically has people suggesting that the only big games that matter are the most graphically intensive games, which all too often are the most shallow and dumbed down messes out there..

And I love these type of laptops.. One of my favorite laptops I have ever owned was a similiar Asus one with a 1366 x 768 display and a 540m nvidia video card.. It was surprising what I could play at great performance on that display to go with at a price range around there.. Furthermore I am absolutely baffled of the sudden push for LAPTOPS of all things for the 1080p to 1440p and beyond displays.. Resolutions is still one of the biggest hits on performance, and with current LCD technology you cannot turn down resolution due to TREMENDOUS screen and color degradation due to pixel stretching.. So you basically are getting a very high resolution (and unneccesary imo for a display that is usually 17 inches to 14 inches) that you have to have on in a piece of tech that CAN'T be upgraded... I miss the days in which laptops shipped with either 1366 x 768 to 1650 x 1080... Because if your laptop has the horse power to go far beyond, nothing is stopping you from cranking up things like AA to smooth out edges.. Meanwhile when it comes to that day when it struggles you can turn off AA.. When if you have that 1440p or 4k display (gl to even getting acceptable fps with more demanding games to begin with) if you turn that down it will look like absolute ass..

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Given your situation, I would say to get her a cheap tablet and build a PC. If you needed something to take with you places I would suggest a laptop. I'm currently in the market for a gaming laptop because I bounce around and can do things like play games at work lol.

TictacThelel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TictacThelel
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Try Need For Madness, it`s a racing game and it`s fun.

You can play online,make your own stage and make your own car.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Get her a cheap laptop and make your own desktop.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

If she's only going to use it for facebook and Youtube a cheap tablet will suffice, even if you buy a wireless/bluetooth keyboard it will work the same. Trust me you wouldn't want to share a ASUS G751 or Alienware when you get your hands on it. You can build a beast of a desktop with a 970 or even 980 with the amnount you would spend on a G751.

Not sure which country you live in but last time I checked here in Australia you can get the equilvalent specs of the ASUS G751 for the Alienware 15" at a lower price.