Good exploration games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (7688 posts) -

Hello. I'm looking for games with good exploration like terreria or to the lesser extent games like Just Cause 2 that reward the player for searching the sandbox. Suggestions please, thanks.

#2 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15888 posts) -

I like Far Cry 3. It's not that big. But, up to now, there are some areas I haven't reached yet.

#3 Edited by PredatorRules (7269 posts) -
#4 Posted by Dequan1233 (107 posts) -

lol ima just say it just cause..............minecraft

#5 Edited by trastamad03 (4852 posts) -

Any Elder Scrolls game

Any FarCry

Any Fallout

Minecraft

There's a bunch of games like Terraria, such as Dark Matter, Starbound (not out yet)

#6 Edited by carverfar (13 posts) -

I would like to add GTA games to the list as well

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (7688 posts) -

I've decided to replay ACIII. I stopped playing when you changed from a cool English dude to a little boy who doesn't know English.

#8 Posted by SamThePurpleton (60 posts) -

Minecraft, would definitely think of adding that, and all the Elder Scrolls games, though I only really liked the last three.

#9 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10039 posts) -

Seriously ! Am I gona be the 1st to mention Arkham Asylum/City.

#10 Posted by sukraj (21927 posts) -

Far Cry 3

#11 Posted by khan8671 (59 posts) -

Other then the already mentioned,here some not-so-popular titles you might be interested in (Graphics are not exceptional in some of these games):

Fable 3

Dark souls (Love this game,played so many times but still havent discovered the entire game area)

Dead Island/Riptide

Far cry 3 blood dragon (Stand alone DLC of FC3)

Risen 2

Sleeping Dogs

Two worlds 2 (better then most of the reviews,enjoyed it)

Kingdom Of Amalur: The Reckoning

Saints Row 3 and 4

There are many other games but these are the only ones i can remember. And they are not written in any order.

#12 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

# I agree - Two worlds 2 was more enjoyable than KoA: the reckoning because KoA is not really open world.

in Kingom of Amalur you have to follow the set path and stay on the trail or until you reach a certain area and even there you have a limited amount of freedom until you finish your task and continue on the next spot.

KoA did have great graphics but the fights were easy to win.

not that Two Worlds 2 was really, really difficult but there was some tough spots and there was a large world with seme tough bosses. the price was reasonable from the get go probably because they didn't pay any professional or well known voice actors which was the main criticism and this game also has a lot of fans.

I have moved on because since then there have been so many more games out......for instance Folk Tale some which is what Black & White may have looked like had it been made in 2013 rather than 2000.

Black and White is still a pretty good game but does show its age. I still play many XP games on W7 and that is one I have and it is a free roaming game. I like the ability to take over a village using poop.

#13 Posted by adamosmaki (9438 posts) -

if you dont mind a game been hard to get into you like space and you have alot of time X3 series can be very rewarding and completely amazing

#15 Posted by adamosmaki (9438 posts) -

@khan8671 said:

Other then the already mentioned,here some not-so-popular titles you might be interested in (Graphics are not exceptional in some of these games):

Fable 3

Dark souls (Love this game,played so many times but still havent discovered the entire game area)

Dead Island/Riptide

Risen 2

Sleeping Dogs

Saints Row 3 and 4

There are many other games but these are the only ones i can remember. And they are not written in any order.

add another one for Two worlds 2. Amazing game . Alot more location variation compared to Skyrim ( no i'm not exaggerating ) and the world is much more interesting

Also the magic cast system is the best i've played on any Rpg and is really fun to use and experiment

#17 Edited by Arach666 (23018 posts) -

Aside from the ones already mentioned,Miasmata is a great exploration game,it´s the actual focus of the game.

#18 Posted by voljin1987 (689 posts) -

In addition to the games mentioned above.. some exploration indies

- Aquaria

- Knytt underground (or Knytt stories)

- Botanicula - its not very big but the world deserves to be explored.

- Umbrella adventures castle of cake - its free :)

These are all 2d platformers so if thats not your thing you might want to stay away

#19 Posted by khan8671 (59 posts) -

@khan8671 said:

Fable 3

Dead Island/Riptide

Risen 2

Sleeping Dogs

Saints Row 3 and 4

add another one for Two worlds 2. Amazing game . Alot more location variation compared to Skyrim ( no i'm not exaggerating ) and the world is much more interesting

Also the magic cast system is the best i've played on any Rpg and is really fun to use and experiment

You my friend,have balls of steel to insult skyrim on an open forum lol. But its true,so much variety,so much to do,TW2 is one seriously underrated game. I quite liked the combat as well.

#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (7688 posts) -

I have two worlds but when i booted it up, it tried to get me to fill out a form. Pissed me off royally.

#21 Edited by uninspiredcup (7688 posts) -

The main problem I'm finding with Assassins Creed is that you just "do things". It's very difficult to actually fail. If it had a mod or a difficulty setting like Saints Row it would be boss but atm it feels more like an adventure game with the gameplay serving the story than the other way around.

#22 Posted by MrYaotubo (2616 posts) -

@Arach666 said:

Aside from the ones already mentioned,Miasmata is a great exploration game,it´s the actual focus of the game.

Couldn´t agree more,it fits the definition perfectly,really underated game.

#23 Posted by BetaVulgaris (34 posts) -

Don't Starve! A simple and beautiful resource gathering/survival game with random generated landscapes.