Gone home is criminally overrated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I picked it up yesterday for 4 bucks, I thought it was a steal since the game is worth 20 bucks on Steam at regular price.

Turns out it was a steal, in the sense that if you bought it at ful price, they would pretty much be stealing from you.

9.5? What was Caroline thinking? It's barely 2 hours long with no replay value at all, there is literally no gameplay, it's just walking and picking up notes, before you go "Oh you fool it's a graphic adventure!", I'd like to tell you that I love GA, but that those usually have puzzles and are very, very long games. This one didn't had puzzles and it was extremely short.

The plot was captivating at first because I thought that something horrible had happened to the family, then you begin seeing all of these "lesbian" hints and you feel intrigued to find out more, but once it's confirmed, you pretty much lose interest in the plot.

The ending was completely dumb as well, they are giving you this ending where they expect you to go all "awwwwwww" but when you think about it, the whole ending act wont last for more than 2 days, and then all of that ordeal your sister went through will simply be dismissed as a teenager venting, which happens a lot, and everything will go back to how it was before.

How was this game 20 bucks?, or a 9.5? The fact that the game is so short and costs 20 bucks should have been a straight -2 from the score (seeing as how GS hates games that dont give you your money's worth).

I dont even want to call this a game, it was pretty much an interactive audio book.

Carolyn is now my officially least trusted reviewer on the site.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I don't get these new adventure games at all. They are nothing more than museum tours. I want to play actual games, where I make decisions, or control things with skillful actions.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lightleggy

@Falconoffury said:

I don't get these new adventure games at all. They are nothing more than museum tours. I want to play actual games, where I make decisions, or control things with skillful actions.

I cant stand people defending these games.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Indeed.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

There are plenty overrated games out there with price tag of 60$

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I made sure to stay away from this even with all the hype... I have to say though I think the Stanley Parable looks pretty good, with the charm and all.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lightleggy

@jimmy_russell: It was 4 bucks, it had universal acclaim among reviewers so I said why not? I knew it was a graphic adventure, I just didn't know it had no puzzles at all and that it was just some sort of audio book, I was alsoexpecting good lenght and a groundbreaking story.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GeryGo  Moderator

@lightleggy said:

@jimmy_russell: It was 4 bucks, it had universal acclaim among reviewers so I said why not? I knew it was a graphic adventure, I just didn't know it had no puzzles at all and that it was just some sort of audio book, I was alsoexpecting good lenght and a groundbreaking story.

Dude, watch videos of gameplay before you decide; Critics nowdays review games by how much they get paid from the publisher.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@lightleggy: I think you need to edit your OP as it's a bit spoilerish!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Falconoffury said:

Depends on which games you play.

Something like The Walking Dead from Telltale makes you make hard decisions and control lots of things.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I am not paying 20 for a 2 hour "game" like this.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lightleggy

@acanofcoke said:

@lightleggy: I think you need to edit your OP as it's a bit spoilerish!

Why would you enter a thread about an overrated game if you haven't beaten said game?.

Also, there are really no spoilers...the lesbian thing is hinted literally in the first ten minutes of the "game".

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I was considering the game but you kind of ruined it a little with your comments :(

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#15 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think 20 dollars is too much to ask for it. I enjoyed the game, but even spending 10 on it a while ago I didn't feel overly satisfied with the play time.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lightleggy
@acanofcoke said:

I was considering the game but you kind of ruined it a little with your comments :(

Uhm, we just helped you if anything. The game is NOT worth 20 bucks, thats a criminal price for it. It's also NOT a 9.5, that's just a dumb elevator effect in motion.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

Agreed 100% one of the most overrated games by the media in years.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lightleggy

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

Dude, watch videos of gameplay before you decide; Critics nowdays review games by how much they get paid from the publisher.

Uhm it's an indie game, it has no publisher, this wasn't a bribed review, it was simply an elevator effect review.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It has gotten the perfect reviewer for it. I suppose that people in this business are desperate to prove something about gaming: that it can be art. The first presumptuous game they can get their hands on will get a good score because of that.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeryGo  Moderator

@lightleggy said:

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

Uhm it's an indie game, it has no publisher, this wasn't a bribed review, it was simply an elevator effect review.

OK, how about asking here on forums 1st or just make it simple, go to game's page here on gamespot with the review and all and look at the players score:

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@Masculus said:

It has gotten the perfect reviewer for it. I suppose that people in this business are desperate to prove something about gaming: that it can be art. The first presumptuous game they can get their hands on will get a good score because of that.

Unfortunately, this might be true. I don't have a problem with the reviewer first of all.

What I do have a problem with is overrating these games because people think they're high brow or art. Its in their interest to do this because it keeps them employed to talk up this industry and boost it. None of the writers on here said what an awful year its been for games, otherwise people might be offended and ask what they're doing here.

Gone Home isn't bad at all but its a small game and definitely not worth $20. I don't want to see games become passive experiences for the sake of a story.

It might as well be a different medium altogether if it does. The physical input is what matters most.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lightleggy

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

OK, how about asking here on forums 1st or just make it simple, go to game's page here on gamespot with the review and all and look at the players score:

You should know that user reviews are more often than not, just trolling. For example I'm pretty sure that DmC wasn't a 4.0 according to MC user's score.

Also, I had watched enough videos to know about the game, I wasn't going to watch a full playthrough, I watched videos, I knew it was an exploration game, I simply assumed that it would have puzzles and stuff and that they just didn't showed one during the videos that I watched (because I don't expect to see every single aspect of a game in a video)

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lightleggy
@biggest_loser said:

@Masculus said:

Unfortunately, this might be true. I don't have a problem with the reviewer first of all.

What I do have a problem with is overrating these games because people think they're high brow or art. Its in their interest to do this because it keeps them employed to talk up this industry and boost it. None of the writers on here said what an awful year its been for games, otherwise people might be offended and ask what they're doing here.

Gone Home isn't bad at all but its a small game and definitely not worth $20. I don't want to see games become passive experiences for the sake of a story.

It might as well be a different medium altogether if it does. The physical input is what matters most.

And this is why I hate to see people defending the "game".

It's nothing unique, people defend it because they say "oh you're a fool! the game doesn't tries to focus on gameplay it tries to focus in story!".

Yeah, a bunch of games focus on story, and they also manage to have great gameplay and proper lenght, like the longest journey, bioshock, metal gear, broken sword and alan wake.

They are the full package, while gone home only has story and it's not even that good, it was simply praised because of "teh lesbianz!!"

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

As far as story game's go, this game's story is as shitty as they come. It's a perfect story for preteen girls. A Gabe Newell fart contains more art.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@lightleggy said:

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

@PredatorRules said:

@lightleggy said:

You should know that user reviews are more often than not, just trolling. For example I'm pretty sure that DmC wasn't a 4.0 according to MC user's score.

Also, I had watched enough videos to know about the game, I wasn't going to watch a full playthrough, I watched videos, I knew it was an exploration game, I simply assumed that it would have puzzles and stuff and that they just didn't showed one during the videos that I watched (because I don't expect to see every single aspect of a game in a video)

Assuming is something whole lot a different than knowing; I recommend you to watch WTF is by TotalBiscuit on YouTube, he talks about new releases meanwhile playing the game.

I can give you an example of me assuming bad game but turns out to be wonderful one instead; I assumed Red Faction Armagedon to be a crappy game unlike Guerrilla - boy I was wrong.

Sometimes I do agree that inspite of reviewers and gameplay footage - actually playing the game can be totally different experience in a good way or opposite in a bad way.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

@Masculus said:

Exactly. Gameplay first.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I don't really care what they call a game. As long as they make it clear that its not the type of game with actual gameplay so that people who care about that aren't being screwed

wr3zzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wr3zzz
Member since 2004 • 59 Posts

@Masculus: This. Gone Home is essentially an interactive short story and grade inflation for presumptuous progressive fiction has been standard practice in book reviews for years. Every book reviewer wants to be the one who discovered THE novel that changed society. The current 'it' progressive cause is homosexual equality and the past couple of years I have read some very mediocre novels that's supposed to be 'groundbreaking' and universally hailed by top reviewers but turned out to be nothing but homosexual romance novels. Had it not been the progressive theme I bet the reviews wouldn't be half as good for those books. Take Gone Home for example:

Spoiler:

This is the test whether grade inflation happened: Does the game change at all had the developers replaced the lesbian relationship in Gone Home with a boy from the wrong side of the track or an interracial relationship? For me the answer is no because the sister's lesbian tendency was revealed very early in the game and the game did not explore deeper issues regarding homosexuality other than parental disapproval and some superficial mentions about the 90s. Had this been a game about interracial teen love taking place in an era prior to 60s would the reviewers ignore the flaws of the game such as the sub-par graphics, unimaginative game play mechanics and an overly short game for $20? I doubt it because examining racial issues is now mainstream.

I am not saying Gone Home is a bad game because it was perfectly average, nor am I believe that developers should refrain from making progressive messages core part of their story, I am simply pointing out that the reviews Gone Home received is a result of grade inflation as a form of affirmative action. Whether affirmative action is still needed today is a whole different issue.

bluefox755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 bluefox755
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

The lesbian angle is a big part of the scores this game has been getting...gaming 'journalists' seem to prioritize social commentary in games above all other things.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Hard to be over rated when it's not that well known of a game. First time I have even heard someone mention the game.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

I think it's for the gay pride put your foot in the door innuendo reference. I would have died laughing if it was about to gay guys, and i bet it would have got a perfect 10 review score on GS. I don't think were there yet though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@wr3zzz said:

@Masculus: This. Gone Home is essentially an interactive short story and grade inflation for presumptuous progressive fiction has been standard practice in book reviews for years. Every book reviewer wants to be the one who discovered THE novel that changed society. The current 'it' progressive cause is homosexual equality and the past couple of years I have read some very mediocre novels that's supposed to be 'groundbreaking' and universally hailed by top reviewers but turned out to be nothing but homosexual romance novels. Had it not been the progressive theme I bet the reviews wouldn't be half as good for those books. Take Gone Home for example:

Spoiler:

This is the test whether grade inflation happened: Does the game change at all had the developers replaced the lesbian relationship in Gone Home with a boy from the wrong side of the track or an interracial relationship? For me the answer is no because the sister's lesbian tendency was revealed very early in the game and the game did not explore deeper issues regarding homosexuality other than parental disapproval and some superficial mentions about the 90s. Had this been a game about interracial teen love taking place in an era prior to 60s would the reviewers ignore the flaws of the game such as the sub-par graphics, unimaginative game play mechanics and an overly short game for $20? I doubt it because examining racial issues is now mainstream.

I am not saying Gone Home is a bad game because it was perfectly average, nor am I believe that developers should refrain from making progressive messages core part of their story, I am simply pointing out that the reviews Gone Home received is a result of grade inflation as a form of affirmative action. Whether affirmative action is still needed today is a whole different issue.

I've never read such a smart 1st post before. I agree with all of it.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I had high expectations for this game, but in the end it was one of the most boring experience I had playing a video game.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I don't get it either.

But at $4.99, I really can't complain.

It's a linear, point-and-click game with a decent storyline.

Is it on par with The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us? Hell no

But it was entertaining.

7.5 (with the price I paid)

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

I don't get it either.

But at $4.99, I really can't complain.

It's a linear, point-and-click game with a decent storyline.

Is it on par with The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us? Hell no

But it was entertaining.

7.5 (with the price I paid)

It is on par with The walking dead and kicks the hell out of The dog among us. It's about gay lesbians who just figured out the meaning of life, and reproducing is a bad thing.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#36 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Price is no issue for me, but game quality is. Gone Home is an interesting experience, one that achieves its deceptive goals. But it seems like that many critics are giving it praise because it's "different".

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37  Edited By couly
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts

It's not a game. It's a house simulator which asks you to find a diary (which she wants you to find) by reading scraps of paper lying around a house.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#38 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

i dont trust carolyn. She has a feminist agenda, and cant stay professional in her reviews. Its been a garbage year for gaming, but battlefield 4 and bioshock infinite saved it a little bit.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#39  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

To me, I just stopped fussing about whether it's a game or not, high-brow/Art, or any other silly hyperbole the gaming press throws out for something different.

I enjoyed my time with Gone Home. It's as simple as that. I didnt think I'd find exploring a simple house equally unnearving, compelling and then feel satisfied in the end. Outside of the deliberately placed notes scattered around the house and ALL THOSE 3 RING BINDERS lel, it's one of the most convincing videogame environments that I can remember.

It's not worth the $20 had I paid for it, not because it's short, or that silly "It's a Unity Engine Game". It's just that there are some excellent $15-$20 games out there that deserve that price point that i'd prefer buying/recommending. But I'm not complaining about $10 that I did get it for.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

There is a lot of fucking idiots on these forums.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@MacBoomStick said:

There is a lot of fucking idiots on these forums.

Yup. I never even played Gone Home, but people who argue this game needs to have replay value or actual gameplay needs get a fucking clue, that's clearly not what this game is about.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

I bought into the hype as well, not finished it since I found it kinda meh, you just walking around a house reading notes. 90s theme and interacting with things are kinda cool that's about it.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@lightleggy said:

I picked it up yesterday for 4 bucks, I thought it was a steal since the game is worth 20 bucks on Steam at regular price.

Turns out it was a steal, in the sense that if you bought it at ful price, they would pretty much be stealing from you.

9.5? What was Caroline thinking? It's barely 2 hours long with no replay value at all, there is literally no gameplay, it's just walking and picking up notes, before you go "Oh you fool it's a graphic adventure!", I'd like to tell you that I love GA, but that those usually have puzzles and are very, very long games. This one didn't had puzzles and it was extremely short.

The plot was captivating at first because I thought that something horrible had happened to the family, then you begin seeing all of these "lesbian" hints and you feel intrigued to find out more, but once it's confirmed, you pretty much lose interest in the plot.

The ending was completely dumb as well, they are giving you this ending where they expect you to go all "awwwwwww" but when you think about it, the whole ending act wont last for more than 2 days, and then all of that ordeal your sister went through will simply be dismissed as a teenager venting, which happens a lot, and everything will go back to how it was before.

How was this game 20 bucks?, or a 9.5? The fact that the game is so short and costs 20 bucks should have been a straight -2 from the score (seeing as how GS hates games that dont give you your money's worth).

I dont even want to call this a game, it was pretty much an interactive audio book.

Carolyn is now my officially least trusted reviewer on the site.

glad more people are realizing this lol

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I liked the concept and for £5 for 2 hours of gameplay, I can't complain. I could complain if I had paid full price! It's not worth the original £15 asking price.

I'd give it a 6/10

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

It's a found object adventure game but unlike some other found object adventure games it's super linear and doesn't even try to get you to solve any semi complex puzzles. The game has plenty of feels but it's like 40 minutes long and has zero replay value. If you like adventure games then it's like a 6/10 sort of experience but it's not a GOTY contender.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#46 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Well, get used to it. Some people consider Gone Home to be a great game - likely because it touched them emotionally.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Gelugon_baat said:

@lightleggy said:

Well, get used to it. Some people consider Gone Home to be a great game - likely because it touched them emotionally.

I agree. While the game may not be for everyone, I thought it was wonderfully atmostpheric and had a heartfelt story, but even if I dislike a game that tries something new I at least like that it tried something new. What's the point of new games if every new game is exactly like every previous game?

-bysh

equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

@Byshop said:

@Gelugon_baat said:

@lightleggy said:

I agree. While the game may not be for everyone, I thought it was wonderfully atmostpheric and had a heartfelt story, but even if I dislike a game that tries something new I at least like that it tried something new. What's the point of new games if every new game is exactly like every previous game?

-bysh

how i feel exactly. Its weird alot of people just arent looking for a different type of experience and thats fine, but man it irks me to be at work and hear people diss games when they went in wanting it to fail (which is what i feel half the complaints are here). I had to take a break when i heard someone say the Telltales walking dead game was the most boring garbage they paid for lol "i cant even shoot anything its just a conversation simulator what a pos".

pleeeease god grant me patience