skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hi I have a z77x-ud3h mobo and until today I have left the performance enhance set as default turbo. today I have tried setting this to normal and I have noticed an improvement to the speed on desktop and in games. My ram is 8GB 1600 but in the bios its set to 1300 so I just used the XMP to change it to 1600 which I have always done and the only thing today I have changed for first time is the performance enhance. I was thinking it was just me thinking it was faster but then decided to test the windows experience on windows 7 and Processor and RAM went up by 1 point from 7.7 to 7.8 so it must have made a slight difference. Do I need to change anything else and is this ok to do?.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Hi I have a z77x-ud3h mobo and until today I have left the performance enhance set as default turbo. today I have tried setting this to normal and I have noticed an improvement to the speed on desktop and in games. My ram is 8GB 1600 but in the bios its set to 1300 so I just used the XMP to change it to 1600 which I have always done and the only thing today I have changed for first time is the performance enhance. I was thinking it was just me thinking it was faster but then decided to test the windows experience on windows 7 and Processor and RAM went up by 1 point from 7.7 to 7.8 so it must have made a slight difference. Do I need to change anything else and is this ok to do?.

Not sure how RAM speed should affect your desktop performance, I know SSD and CPU will do it the best way.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Enabling XMP in Asus m/bs enables also some or whole turbo on all cores. Sometimes it will be 3,7Ghz others will be 3,9Ghz.

I assume Gigabyte m/bs are no exception.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Coseniath said:

Enabling XMP in Asus m/bs enables also some or whole turbo on all cores. Sometimes it will be 3,7Ghz others will be 3,9Ghz.

So that is why even at default CPU settings my i7 4770k will bump up to 3.9ghz on all cores while gaming.

I enabled XMP on my Asus Maximus Hero VI for my Gskill Ares ddr3 ram so it would correctly set itself to 2400mhz.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Coseniath
@RyviusARC said:

@Coseniath said:

So that is why even at default CPU settings my i7 4770k will bump up to 3.9ghz on all cores while gaming.

I enabled XMP on my Asus Maximus Hero VI for my Gskill Ares ddr3 ram so it would correctly set itself to 2400mhz.

Haha. I have the same mobo and CPU! :D

With Corsair 2133, when I enabled XMP the CPU was like 1,15V and 3,9Ghz.

With GTX570 this was unnecessery so I only disabled the turbo all cores (if I remember correctly) while I kept XMP.

Then the CPU was doing an other small factory OC at 1,09 and 3,7Ghz. I remember mobos doing this in Ivybridge era in order to give more performance boost from sandybridge. I guess they left the ability turned on. LOL....

This mobo denies disabling o/c :P.

Then I left it that way cause the temps and volt were already low so I gave up XD.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RyviusARC

@Coseniath said:
@RyviusARC said:

@Coseniath said:

Haha. I have the same mobo and CPU! :D

With Corsair 2133, when I enabled XMP the CPU was like 1,15V and 3,9Ghz.

With GTX570 this was unnecessery so I only disabled the turbo all cores (if I remember correctly) while I kept XMP.

Then the CPU was doing an other small factory OC at 1,09 and 3,7Ghz. I remember mobos doing this in Ivybridge era in order to give more performance boost from sandybridge. I guess they left the ability turned on. LOL....

This mobo denies disabling o/c :P.

Then I left it that way cause the temps and volt were already low so I gave up XD.

I don't even think I need to OC my CPU even for my 2 GTX 970s.

I wish Nvidia was faster on SLI support for new games though.

Dead Rising 3 has a shadow flicker bug with SLI, Ryse also has a bug and has horrible scaling and The Evil Within uses IDtech 5 so it doesn't support SLI at all.

Although new games are not that demanding so even with one GTX 970 at 1440p I am still getting 60fps.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coseniath
@RyviusARC said:

Dead Rising 3 has a shadow flicker bug with SLI, Ryse also has a bug and has horrible scaling and The Evil Within uses IDtech 5 so it doesn't support SLI at all.

Although new games are not that demanding so even with one GTX 970 at 1440p I am still getting 60fps.

Yeah, that's the reason I am waiting for GTX970 to arrive here too in normal prices (not 50 and 100 euros more than the other European countries) in order to buy one.

ps: Gigabyte's Gaming G1 GTX970 will probably be my choice, cause of great factory o/c, great accoustics, great temps, great VRM temps, backplate and 3 years of warranty.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RyviusARC

@Coseniath said:
@RyviusARC said:

Yeah, that's the reason I am waiting for GTX970 to arrive here too in normal prices (not 50 and 100 euros more than the other European countries) in order to buy one.

ps: Gigabyte's Gaming G1 GTX970 will probably be my choice, cause of great factory o/c, great accoustics, great temps, great VRM temps, backplate and 3 years of warranty.

The G1 is what I use for my SLI 970s.

They are really long though which is no problem for me since my case has plenty of room.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Coseniath
@RyviusARC said:

The G1 is what I use for my SLI 970s.

They are really long though which is no problem for me since my case has plenty of room.

With my Raven 3 I got no problem either :D. It has space for 34cm L while G1 is 30cm.

Btw if you still have high temps in you CPU, If you disable this multicore turbo (from 3,9GHz going to 3,7GHz), the temps will be dropped a lot. (Mine were dropped like 10C!!!!)

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

As said I have always turned on XMP profile just that the performance enhance have left at default turbo. Yesterday I turned it to normal and noticed an improvement as read lower the better on this but it didn't say weaver to change anything else if you did change . My CPU temp is the same as be for when in bios at around 33c.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Coseniath
@skipper847 said:

As said I have always turned on XMP profile just that the performance enhance have left at default turbo. Yesterday I turned it to normal and noticed an improvement as read lower the better on this but it didn't say weaver to change anything else if you did change . My CPU temp is the same as be for when in bios at around 33c.

Idle temps at BIOS are not different at all. Why BIOS should use turbo anyway? The max temps change from like 70-75 to 60-65.