Getting "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message on new PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

I just bought an Acer Aspire M5910 today, completely new and I keep getting a "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I can't get anywhere beyond this screen. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Blue-Sky (10343 posts) -

Make sure your HDD is the primary booth disk for startup. Go in your Bios, select boot sequence or boot priority, however it's named, and make your HDD the top of the list.

#3 Posted by elusive1991 (84 posts) -
i had this problem a few times, stupidly enough it was because i had a usb pen plugged in and it wanted to boot to that, if you have any removable media eg external hdd on usb stick or wateva jus try unplugin it while it boots. simple enough.... assuming hat is the problem =]
#4 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

I think it is the top priority. It says it's the "1st Boot Device" and there's nothing above it. There's a "Hard Disk Drive Priority", will that do something helpful? I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing :P

#5 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -
make sure your hdd is at the top of both of those lists.
#6 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

make sure your hdd is at the top of both of those lists.darksusperia
In the "Hard Disk Drive Priority" option it says "1st Drive - [Not Installed]". I'm guessing that's bad, right?

#7 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]make sure your hdd is at the top of both of those lists.anime_gamer007

In the "Hard Disk Drive Priority" option it says "1st Drive - [Not Installed]". I'm guessing that's bad, right?

usually that hdd not completely attached on your laptop, just complain to store when u buy, and get another new one, or repair.
#8 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -
[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]make sure your hdd is at the top of both of those lists.gumeh

usually that hdd not completely attached on your laptop, just complain to store when u buy, and get another new one, or repair.

Well, it's not a laptop, it's a desktop. Not sure if that changes the situation...
#9 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -
desktop computer?? check ur sata cable who connect between hdd and mobo, whether installed correctly? i have the same problem, and i always check my sata cable and that sata slot
#10 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -
[QUOTE="gumeh"]desktop computer?? check ur sata cable who connect between hdd and mobo, whether installed correctly? i have the same problem, and i always check my sata cable and that sata slot

Okay, how exactly do I do that? Keep in mind I've never really went inside a PC before or even removed a hard drive.
#11 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -
that simply u only look a red thin cable, who connect hdd to motherboard.if u can't are u have friend who know about computer? try to get help from him.
#12 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

Okay, I actually I checked the SATA cable and it seems to be connected properly and I'm still getting the issue. I'm guessing this is officially a hard drive issue? :(

#13 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -
yea i think that hard drive issue, u see jumper pin on your hdd? check the jumper installed on pin 1-2 if not success, i recommended to contact your store (when u buy it) to replace with the better hdd, prepare your guarantee card or u buy a new hdd and install it
#14 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -
[QUOTE="gumeh"]yea i think that hard drive issue, u see jumper pin on your hdd? check the jumper installed on pin 1-2 if not success, i recommended to contact your store (when u buy it) to replace with the better hdd, prepare your guarantee card or u buy a new hdd and install it

Yep, it seems like a faulty hard drive. Looks like back in the box, it goes. Just my luck :( Well, thanks anyways.
#15 Posted by gumeh (235 posts) -
yea, goodluck, i hope u get a new hdd without problems
#16 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

mm this is most likely caused by a bad hard drive jumpers normally are only on IDE drives arent they? i thought sata did away with that and it became strictly bios and cable select for everything

anyway TC when you come back feel free to ask more if you need anything

#17 Posted by katana_duo (1751 posts) -
The BIOs always searches for the first thing to boot from. Whether it's the DVD/CD drive or HDD. OR if you're into it the Express Gate :D