Getting onboard mobo sound to work through ATi V-Card HDMI

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

I've tried to get the sound to come out of the HDMI on my Gigabyte HD 4670, however I've had no luck after a couple hours of messing with sound settings and drivers for the graphics card and motherboard, an MSI 770-C45 AM3 board. Anyone got any insights into proper set up and driver installation? This is driving me insane, even more so than the wifi networking card problem I'm halving. I'm installing to XP in this new build of mine, so after initial XP boot up what order do you guys recommend installing drivers to solve the issue and settings? Frankly I'm getting very pissed off, and XP while recognizing the two pieces of sound hardware (Realtek HD mobo sound and ATi HDMI) via the DirectX diagnostic, nothing is coming through to my HDTV :\ I haven't tried but perhaps newer latest XP specific drivers might work correct.

Running XP, on an MSI 770-C45 AM3 mobo, Gigabyte HD467ZL Radeon HD 4670 1 GB DD3 w/ HDMI + DVI + VGA.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight.

#2 Posted by joshuahaveron (2163 posts) -

So what is it that you want to do, run the onboard sound through a dedicated graphics cards HDMI? I didn't know that it was possible, I thought that you needed to use an adapter or to connect the sound in seperately to the HDMI.

#3 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

I don't think the ATi cards have actual sound processing, it's just a re-routing mechanism to take the motherboard sound and send it through the HDMI output for HDTV connection. I'm not to sure, I could be wrong, it could be actual sound processing which I had thought it was, problem though is that while ATi sound shows up under "Sound 2", Realtek HD sound is in "Sound 1" in the DX Diagnostic. Also ATi sound doesn't show up in the menu for choosing the sound device.

I'm a bit frustrated..........what a pain.

#4 Posted by Marfoo (5993 posts) -
As far as I know, the ATI cards do have an onboard sound device and don't reroute anything. I have used this several times, (I'm in Vista) and as soon as the card detected HDMI output it switched to the playback device called "ATI HDMI Output". As far as drivers go, I know you need the HDMI Audio driver, which is included with the latest release of CCC. Run the ATI Uninstall Utility and take off everything. Reboot. Install Catalyst 9.7. Reboot. See if ATI HDMI Output is available. Updated Drivers
#5 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

Ok, I'll try that, but I just got to finish burning this data DVD so I can actually transfer files from my laptop to my desktop since I couldn't get the wifi networking to work as it should. What a pain, my last build didn't give me these problems but then again it was an 8800GTS and not a 4000 series Radeon and I got a D-Link wifi card instead of this Asus one........

#6 Posted by Marfoo (5993 posts) -

Ok, I'll try that, but I just got to finish burning this data DVD so I can actually transfer files from my laptop to my desktop since I couldn't get the wifi networking to work as it should. What a pain, my last build didn't give me these problems but then again it was an 8800GTS and not a 4000 series Radeon and I got a D-Link wifi card instead of this Asus one........

mouthforbathory
Yeah, new builds can be rough sometimes. When I finished building this machine I booted just to find out the BIOS didn't support Yorkfields, so I had to disassemble, put in an old Pentium IV that I had, flash the BIOS, then reassemble. Then I couldn't get Windows installed, I was using RAID 0 and one of the HDDs was faulty (one of those Seagate 7200.11s that had a bad firmware). I ended up installing on one drive just to have it fail a few months later.
#7 Posted by Bane_v2 (6104 posts) -
Have you read the manual for your video card? Surely it would explain how to get this set up. If it doesn't that manual blows! The video card doesn't have a separate sound connection to the motherboard does it? I know some do, similar to the audio cable you can connect between a motherboard and an optical drive.
#8 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

No. I think I was just a bit confuzzled. I had initially thought that the ATi cards had their own sound hardware, then after trying to troubleshoot this issue using google, it seemed that the ATi cards and their audio drivers were for routing sound into the card and out the HDMI, but it seems the initial is the correct answer, but I'm just wondering why the hell did the ATi sound not show up in the list of usable sound devices? It shows up in the overall scheme of things as far as hardware goes. I've killed off the on board sound drivers, and finishing up this DVD to transfer the most current full package of ATi software. Hopefully that fixes it because I'm about to just to a complete reinstall of XP and start over, skipping the Realtek onboard sound drivers all together..................I'm so tired of this......the Wifi problem was bad enough, and this is even more annoying. What I really want is some insight from actual 3000 and 4000 series Radeon users who are on XP and how they have their HDMI sound output specifically set up.

#9 Posted by Marfoo (5993 posts) -

No. I think I was just a bit confuzzled. I had initially thought that the ATi cards had their own sound hardware, then after trying to troubleshoot this issue using google, it seemed that the ATi cards and their audio drivers were for routing sound into the card and out the HDMI, but it seems the initial is the correct answer, but I'm just wondering why the hell did the ATi sound not show up in the list of usable sound devices? It shows up in the overall scheme of things as far as hardware goes. I've killed off the on board sound drivers, and finishing up this DVD to transfer the most current full package of ATi software. Hopefully that fixes it because I'm about to just to a complete reinstall of XP and start over, skipping the Realtek onboard sound drivers all together..................I'm so tired of this......the Wifi problem was bad enough, and this is even more annoying. What I really want is some insight from actual 3000 and 4000 series Radeon users who are on XP and how they have their HDMI sound output specifically set up.

mouthforbathory
Well I am an HD 4800 user, although I'm on Vista. If you used the driver from the disk (which is probably really old) then the HDMI driver was not included during the default setup. I think since one of their more recent releases they've been including it with standard package whereas there used to be a seperate download for it. I think the new driver should clear things up for you. Yes, the HD 4800 does indeed have it's own sound device onboard, it does not reroute.
#10 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

Ok got the issue solved. Turned out all I needed was just the dedicated XP 32 bit driver.............*feels kinda dumb*............Now for the Asus Wifi card that should support XP from the get go do to it's circa 2004-ness!

#11 Posted by Marfoo (5993 posts) -
My experience with ASUS integrated wifi hardware is to find out who makes the adapter and skip the "ASUS" driver. For example my motherboard has built in 802.11n, but the ASUS drivers were terrible. I found out Ralink made the adapter and I just got a driver from them. Usually Windows Update can find a workiing driver pretty easy, of course that requires getting to the internet somehow else.
#12 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

It's not a built in wifi processor and reciever, it's a PCI add in board. What's funny is XP detects and interacts with it from the get go, and I can detect and select Wifi networks to log on to, but when I try to connect, the box says it failed to and it's supposedly "out of range" though 6 ft away from the wireless router isn't far at all and there are the full 5 bars of signal detection. Also my lappy here does just fine, it's connected and getting/sending data. I'm about to just pull the Asus reciever out and go buy the D-Link 552WA since it's the exact one I had in my last build, that installed and worked perfectly. Sure it was pricey and still is about $70, but it's got three antennas and is made for Wireless N as well as B, G, and A, which makes it flexible and future proof.

#13 Posted by TerroRizing (3210 posts) -

I once had this issue with my 4850, simple fix for me though... make sure you use the included ati dvi to hdmi adpater. If you dont use that adapter, it will just say its not connected when you check the sound devices. And yes, the card actually processes the audio itself, although it all stays digital and doesnt require much work on the cards end.