garrys mod not working

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kbubba92 (1273 posts) -
my garrys mod 10 isnt working, when i click it in my steams games list they "garrys mod is loading" thinmg pops up then the screen turns black and then it goes back to my desktop and doesnt load. how do i fix this.?
#2 Posted by Vi3t-Dragon (20 posts) -
Everything in its right spot, your not missing any files like art files or .dat?
#3 Posted by D9-THC (3081 posts) -
Close steam and open it back up and try again.
#4 Posted by Baron_14 (1771 posts) -

Close steam and open it back up and try again.D9-THC

That should work

#5 Posted by Fatham55 (2 posts) -
i just got garrys mod so i paid ten bucks from steam i went to use it starts loading the stops and says hl2 has stopped working. does any one know how to fix it
#6 Posted by ruler1010 (3 posts) -

i just got garrys mod so i paid ten bucks from steam i went to use it starts loading the stops and says hl2 has stopped working. does any one know how to fix itFatham55
The same exact thing happens to me. When i try to do singleplayer or multiplayer, i choose a place then it loads and when it's almost done it crashes and says their is a problem with hl2

#7 Posted by gamerdude261 (1 posts) -
when ever i go on it comes to the ttle screen and says loading then a black screen comes up and it says hl2.exe has stopped working then it closes
#8 Posted by simardbrad (2355 posts) -

do you guys own any other source engine game? Garry's Mod requires an orange box game, HL2, CSS or DODS

#9 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23352 posts) -

do you guys own any other source engine game? Garry's Mod requires an orange box game, HL2, CSS or DODS

simardbrad
I don't think it does, I think it's stand alone is it not? I know gmod9 isn't but 10/11 are... I think anyway.
#10 Posted by jmorrow81 (1 posts) -
I know for a fact garrysmod 10 and 11 are NOT standalone. They come with plenty of content but they need a verified engine to run (counter strike source, dod:source, half life 2, etc.)
#11 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -
[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

JigglyWiggly_
I don't think it does, I think it's stand alone is it not? I know gmod9 isn't but 10/11 are... I think anyway.

you still need a source engine game, but steam wont let you buy garrys mod without one so they should have a source game already
#12 Posted by Jarp3y (129 posts) -
Check your fire wall is letting it through.Make the exception for it.
#14 Posted by zw98 (2 posts) -
use this command in the console: vgui_allowhtml 0 it removes the G in the loading screen and helps it load without crashing.
#15 Posted by SovietsUnited (1741 posts) -

It's a 5 year old thread...

#16 Posted by tomoreyn (2 posts) -
i just got garry's mod and i have kind of the same problem as you except that it gets stuck on the black screen then i have to force quit it and then it sais that it stopped working. if anybody knows how to fix it can they tell me?
#17 Posted by tomoreyn (2 posts) -
when i log onto steam and try using garry's mod, it gets stuck on the black loading screen and i dont know why. once i left it like that for seven hours and it didn't load. can someone tell me how to fix it please?