GameSpot doesn't even have the GameSpy story up yet? LOLOL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeViLzzz1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DeViLzzz1983
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141200/gamespy-is-shutting-down-but-it-doesnt-matter-if-youre-proactive.html

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

May 31st GameSpy officially shut itself down and GFWL is next ...

Point I am making with the title for my post is we are idiots to trust digital only content. We need to go backwards and not forward. Games need to have LAN play and other features put back in them permanently.

Oh and remember people GFWL death is coming and taking loads of games with it to unless companies step up and do the right thing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@devilzzz1983 said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141200/gamespy-is-shutting-down-but-it-doesnt-matter-if-youre-proactive.html

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

Point I am making with the title for my post is we are idiots to trust digital only content. We need to go backwards and not forward. Games need to have LAN play and other features put back in them permanently.

Oh and remember people GFWL death is coming and taking loads of games with it to unless companies step up and do the right thing.

Majority of the games that use Gamespy always have had LAN play, direct IP, etc. - so this scenario doesn't really help make your argument against the exclusion of LAN play. GameSpy wasn't going to last forever, someone had to do the job they were doing. As for GFWL, aren't there patches coming out removing it from some games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@devilzzz1983 said:

People really need to let go of LAN, it ain't coming back as a norm.

Internet gameplay is easier for a normal user to set up, you just click and play. LAN had issues sometimes, where you needed to know a bit about networking to get them going.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58642 Posts

Isn't gamespy owned by IGN? The primary competitor.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Some GFWL games will be ported to steam, the others will die though which is very sad. I think ideally GFW should have provided some funds for the developers / publishers to port it to Steam so 95% of games would be carried over,

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

What was the last major release to actually use Gamespy?

I remember that some RPGs used it around 14-15 years ago, and...I can't remember using it since.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I remember that some RPGs used it around 14-15 years ago, and...I can't remember using it since.

Borderlands 1 but you can still connect through alternate methods (LAN, Hamachi, etc)

Also, Red Dead Redemption.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Borderlands was pretty major...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Gamespot is a trolling website , it is not about gaming news anymore .

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts

@FelipeInside: I been setting up and playing LAN since I was 10. And despite having used internet for a lot less, I have had far more issues with Internet than I have ever had with LAN.

Less Latency, less random disconnections ruining games, not being tied to some online account, ability to play how you want instead of playing nice in fear of getting banned and a host of other problems makes LAN still favorable to me and a lot others.

Regarding Gamespy, not surprised and I am not sure how many of those hundreds of games still are widely played today and barely any games use it nowdays.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside: I been setting up and playing LAN since I was 10. And despite having used internet for a lot less, I have had far more issues with Internet than I have ever had with LAN.

Less Latency, less random disconnections ruining games, not being tied to some online account, ability to play how you want instead of playing nice in fear of getting banned and a host of other problems makes LAN still favorable to me and a lot others.

Regarding Gamespy, not surprised and I am not sure how many of those hundreds of games still are widely played today and barely any games use it nowdays.

I never said Internet was better in every way, or that LAN was better in every way... but for a normal user (not use geeks that know computers), playing online is 10 times easier than setting up a LAN.

There's also the fact that LAN parties are basically a thing of the past.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Maroxad said:

I never said Internet was better in every way, or that LAN was better in every way... but for a normal user (not use geeks that know computers), playing online is 10 times easier than setting up a LAN.

Dephends on where you live, in Sweden, they LAN parties are pretty damn common.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Maroxad said:

Dephends on where you live, in Sweden, they LAN parties are pretty damn common.

Good old Sveeeeden. Yes, they have LAN parties as well as Korea and China.

I was more talking globally in general. You used to see LAN Cafes every 2 blocks.... invites to LAN games etc. Now you're lucky if you see an Internet Cafe (except tourist places of course). It's just more comfortable for people now. Why leave home when you can play in your PJs...

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I miss my quake lan parties :(

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I always thought the name of GameSpy was always rad.