Games with animated body parts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

malimedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By malimedo
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

I dont know how to describe them, but as i know, it started somewhere in 2004 - 2005 (correct me if i am wrong), its the games where you dont just run and shoot, you can see your arms and legs, something like mirrors edge...
I think the first game that had this was F.E.A.R. (or COD4) Am i right? What games do you reccomend that have those factors? And what was the first game that had aiming down the sights?

Sorry if i wrote something wrong, im new to gamespot.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, Jurassic Park: Trespasser did a lot of those things back in 1998. It was a terrible game, but definitely ahead of its time.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@malimedo said:

I dont know how to describe them, but as i know, it started somewhere in 2004 - 2005 (correct me if i am wrong), its the games where you dont just run and shoot, you can see your arms and legs, something like mirrors edge...

I think the first game that had this was F.E.A.R. (or COD4) Am i right? What games do you reccomend that have those factors? And what was the first game that had aiming down the sights?

Sorry if i wrote something wrong, im new to gamespot.

GTA5? the 1st game IDK, try google.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Call Of Duty and Vietcong (both 2003) were propably the first ones to introduce aiming down sights.

i'm sure there are fps games before FEAR where you could see your feet. that's weird feature to choose game by, though... you're an oddball, sir. as for recommendations that have it, you can just grab like any shooter after FEAR lol. Crysis for example.

anyway, welcome to Gamespot :)

edit: you might be interested in this article: Don’t Look Down: Legs in FPS Games . it pretty much says that Mirror's Edge is one of the only games where that feature is actually even a good thing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The earliest first-person platformer I know of where you could see your legs was Jumping Flash (1995) on the PS1. Whenever you jump around and look down, you could see your legs. That was the first 3D platformer I ever played, before Mario 64 came out.

The earliest FPS I know of with something like aim-down-sights was GoldenEye 007 (1997) on the N64. It had a similar aiming mode, which was inspired by Virtua Cop's aiming system and was an ancestor of COD's aim-down-sights.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-PC/dp/B00009TW6R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429889682&sr=8-1&keywords=halo+pc

Halo has this type of style as well.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

You could see your arms in games like doom, maybe even wolfenstein but im not sure about that, i can't see why you thought this started in 2005. Even in doom when you get a chainsaw you can see your guy holding it, and its decently animated for its time. We are talking about the early 1990s here... not 2005.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Full Body Awareness. Here is a list of games with it

http://www.giantbomb.com/full-body-awareness/3015-1692/

A main one I remember is Chronicles of Riddick which(also had melee fighting

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@nicecall said:

You could see your arms in games like doom, maybe even wolfenstein but im not sure about that, i can't see why you thought this started in 2005. Even in doom when you get a chainsaw you can see your guy holding it, and its decently animated for its time. We are talking about the early 1990s here... not 2005.

I think what TC means is seeing the legs as well, not just the arms. In Doom and Quake, you could see the arms, but not the legs. Seeing the legs seems to be more common with first-person platformers, like Jumping Flash and Mirror's Edge, where it helps with precision jumping. It's rare to see it in first-person shooters, since seeing the legs don't usually serve much purpose in shooting games.

malimedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 malimedo
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

thanks for fast reply everyone, nicecall i thought something where you dont shoot, you fall or climb and see arms animations. And am i allowed to put a photo to demonstrate what i have in mind?