Games that utilize a Dual Monitor iMac or Mac Pro?

jdcallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jdcallow
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have a 27inch, 3.4 GHz i7, 32 Gb, with a 2gb gtx 680 that has a second 27inch thunderbolt display. Are there any games out there that will utilize both monitors? The gtx may not have the horse power to do many games, but I'd like to try and I'm sure a map based game would be great.

I searched the forums with no luck which is surprising as I would think that there are loads of people with dual monitors.

tia

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Dual monitor for gaming isn't that great.

Few games that have maps can display it on the 2nd monitor,DOTA2\LoL\HoN

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@jdcallow said:

I have a 27inch, 3.4 GHz i7, 32 Gb, with a 2gb gtx 680 that has a second 27inch thunderbolt display. Are there any games out there that will utilize both monitors? The gtx may not have the horse power to do many games, but I'd like to try and I'm sure a map based game would be great.

I searched the forums with no luck which is surprising as I would think that there are loads of people with dual monitors.

tia

Try Civ games, as already been said better off to game on 3 monitors setup, a 2 monitor setup is usually set for streaming (1 game, 1 chat)

jdcallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jdcallow

I have a three monitor PC (3 x 24" hd) and realize it works better than 2. CIV won't span 2 monitors, but I'll check out DOTA2\LoL\HoN. I have used two monitors on a pc and for map based games it works ok -- just looking to find out what will work on these monitors.

thanx

any other suggestions?

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Some games are kind of a pain to play acorss 3 monitors. LoL for example - while it's cool to see it span across 3 monitors, the HUD is stretched across all three as well. The mini map is in the far lower right corner of your right screen - this makes keeping good map awareness a very difficult thing to do since most of the time the action is focused on the center monitor. It's better to play LoL on 1 screen in my opinion.

Bataman games on the other hand - they're freaking awesome playing across 3 monitors. Racing games (well, the only one I own and the daughter plays) is fun to do on 3 monitors as well according to her.

If you have 2 monitors, don't worry about trying to game across 2 of them - it's just not practical for most games. When I had 2 monitors, I would game on one and the other would be there to stream a movie on Netflix or maybe I'm kind of poking around on forums and things like that while I play. I can't think of a single game I have that would be good to play across 2 monitors - it's either 1 or 3.

jdcallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jdcallow

Thanks, but none the less I'd still like to know what OS X compatible games can span multiple monitors, specifically 2, 2560 x 1440 monitors.

jdcallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jdcallow

DOTA2 doesn't run across monitors...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jdcallow said:

DOTA2 doesn't run across monitors...

Loading Video...

jdcallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jdcallow

@thehig1: Thanx, except the OP was for Mac's using Nvidia not PC's running ATI/AMD graphic cards.

Any suggestions for games that can span multiple monitors on a Mac?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jdcallow: nope sorry jumped the gun a little then and forgot he was talking about Mac

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

How about X-Plane? I used to play X-Plane 9 on the PC with dual monitors. Macs should have similar capabilities. For aircraft like the Cessna C172, dual monitors are fine.