khan_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 khan_92
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hi , i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any good games that make you smarter or that aren't about killing.

say something like a puzzle game or other types,basically games that make you think.

And of course a game with good graphics preferably.

Khan

OutOfPoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 OutOfPoint
Member since 2010 • 155 Posts

I highly recommend Portal 2.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@khan_92 said:

Hi , i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any good games that make you smarter or that aren't about killing.

say something like a puzzle game or other types,basically games that make you think.

Khan

Brain Age for the DS.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

No not Portal 2, I reccomend a competitive multiplayer realtime stategy game. That game will wise you up in no time.

DON'T PLAY ANYTHING ABSTRACT !

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@khan_92 said:

Khan

Puzzle games such as Portal series and Quantum Conundrum, Two Brothers.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Antichamber

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

Also try some Adventure Games to polish your deductive reasoning.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

FSX

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#9 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's hard to say whether or not games make you smarter. I dunno the exact mental state this is, but there were some games that mentally got me exhausted from constant thinking/problem solving. But I do think games do better at presenting problems that involve lateral thinking over logical thinking.

Antichamber
The Swapper
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
SpaceChem
Braid
and oddly enough, Scribblenauts: Unlimited - at least to some extent if you use/experiment with things.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

tetris oh sorry with good graphics then it would have to be 3D tetris.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Rpg's with lots of text. Basically reading is the fastest way to increase your brain power because your mind is under direct responsibility to create all pictures, characters, sounds, smells, action sequences etc etc.

This is why TV watchers are usually the dumbest mother fuckers around. The TV creates everything for your brain therefor it doesn't have to do a damn thing. It shuts down for the most part and the audience goes into like a subconscious state. You can usually tell if you're talking or debating a TV watcher because they basically parrot all the stuff they were "programmed" with. That's why it's called programming lmao.

Audio books, music or radio etc etc is somewhere in the middle. Your brain still has to work but a little less than reading.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

FSX

Hell yeah

Have you tried the new X-plane, its really tempting me because its on Steam. Its still pretty expensive I might bite once its about £30 mark.

What I have read about X-Plane is its better optimized for multi core processors, so our 8350 will be a better fit for X-Plane.

EDIT : its only £30 on G2A gaming site now X-Plane 10 Global 64 Bit.

I get paid on Wednesday I will buy it then :D

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@Blutfahne

So many things wrong with you... :(

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Obviously my scientifically proven concepts are too big for you to grasp.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

dwarf fortress. or if you want to become smarter much slower then crusader kings 2

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@Blutfahne

LOL... Yeah right... That must be it. :p

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@CommandoAgent said:

@khan_92 said:

Khan

Brain Age for the DS.

Yeah, this was the first game I thought of. Honestly no game is going to make you smarter, but by excersizing different types of problem solving skills you can get better at those skills. Games like Portal can help with spatial reasoning because it forces you to think about 3D space in a different manner than how you would in your daily life. Brain Age has a number of different puzzle types and also has an emphasis on speed.

Adventure games can be good, but the big problem with a lot of them is that their logic can be pretty arbitrary. A lot of times you aren't coming up with a creative solution to the problem, but rather trying to figure out what the game designer was thinking when he/she created the scenario.

Beyond that, there are just educational games out there that you can play and not all of them are intended for children, but the more educational you get the less "game" you typically get. One of the best games in this category I've ever played is a game called "Typing of the Dead" which is a remake of the zombie shooting game "House of the Dead" but as a typing tutor game. It's a blast and actually pretty challenging, but it doesn't meet your criteria of being non-violent, obviously.

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@Byshop said:

@CommandoAgent said:

@khan_92 said:

Khan

Brain Age for the DS.

Yeah, this was the first game I thought of. Honestly no game is going to make you smarter, but by excersizing different types of problem solving skills you can get better at those skills. Games like Portal can help with spatial reasoning because it forces you to think about 3D space in a different manner than how you would in your daily life. Brain Age has a number of different puzzle types and also has an emphasis on speed.

Adventure games can be good, but the big problem with a lot of them is that their logic can be pretty arbitrary. A lot of times you aren't coming up with a creative solution to the problem, but rather trying to figure out what the game designer was thinking when he/she created the scenario.

Beyond that, there are just educational games out there that you can play and not all of them are intended for children, but the more educational you get the less "game" you typically get. One of the best games in this category I've ever played is a game called "Typing of the Dead" which is a remake of the zombie shooting game "House of the Dead" but as a typing tutor game. It's a blast and actually pretty challenging, but it doesn't meet your criteria of being non-violent, obviously.

-Byshop

Obviously this is debatable, but there's a good chance if you are young(10-16 y/o) and use your brain a lot, you will actually be smarter since your brain is still developing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Obviously this is debatable, but there's a good chance if you are young(10-16 y/o) and use your brain a lot, you will actually be smarter since your brain is still developing.

@JigglyWiggly_: "Smart" is too subjective. There is no general consensus on exactly how to objectively measure just "intelligence" without measuring skill at acedemic subjects (hence the complaint about the stardized IQ test being culturaly biased) or abstract problem solving. Mensa are a bunch of douchebags, but to use them as an example they accept scores from over 200 different intelligence tests.

-Byshop