Games similar to Black and White

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by varunb (3 posts) -

Can anyone recommend games similar to "Black and White" 1 and 2 by Lionhead Studios? Link:http://www.lionhead.com/bw/Default.aspx

Those games were very detailed and open-ended. There was no "one way" of attaining the goal. I am looking for something similar.

Requisite: pc game with minimum violence, lots of thought, and open-endedness :)

#2 Posted by biggest_loser (23971 posts) -
The Sims 3?!! Just a bit of a rant on B&W though: The more I played it the more disappointed I became with it. Horrid controls, the story wasn't finished, incredibly self conscious in the way that it tried to be different with things like making the player go to a temple to save the game.
#3 Posted by jrabbit99 (2835 posts) -
I've never seen another game quite like it. :( I wish they made another one
#4 Posted by Jekken6 (2642 posts) -

Fable might be what you're looking for.

#5 Posted by jrabbit99 (2835 posts) -

Jekken6
not at all!
#6 Posted by biggest_loser (23971 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jekken6"]

jrabbit99

not at all!

You speak for the OP?

#7 Posted by Im_single (5134 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jekken6"]

jrabbit99
not at all!

It has a very similar vibe to it, not like B&W at all but they have the same feeling, very silly and not very violent with some silly humor and the whole Good and Evil thing.
#8 Posted by varunb (3 posts) -
Wow. Some very interesting choices there. I will take a look at Fable and Sims 3! Hopefully, Fable isn't too violent (is it open-ended or does it have linear gameplay?). The person I'm getting these games for has blood pressure issues so there can only be minimum violence. I thought even B&W would be violent until I saw her play it. She did so much for her villagers that the enemy's villages would end up deserted and the enemy's creature would come and make friends with her creature. Never thought I'd see that happen :)
#9 Posted by Jekken6 (2642 posts) -

Wow. Some very interesting choices there. I will take a look at Fable and Sims 3! Hopefully, Fable isn't too violent (is it open-ended or does it have linear gameplay?). The person I'm getting these games for has blood pressure issues so there can only be minimum violence. I thought even B&W would be violent until I saw her play it. She did so much for her villagers that the enemy's villages would end up deserted and the enemy's creature would come and make friends with her creature. Never thought I'd see that happen :)varunb

1. There are a few ways to play, but progression is linear.

2. What do you mean by blood pressure issues? doesn't like the sight of blood?

3. There's decapitation, but the violence is cartoony in presentation.

If you answer 2, we can give you a great list of cRPGs

#10 Posted by varunb (3 posts) -
OK. Blood pressure issues mean that the game shouldn't keep one's heart racing. That's why Mirror's Edge wouldn't work. Cartoony violence should not be a problem, I think. I'll need to confirm this and get back to you. Sight of blood should be fine, depending on how it's handled. Could you give me examples of some cRPGs? I'll check them out and see if she'd like them. Thanks Jekken6!
#11 Posted by F1_2004 (8009 posts) -
There isn't anything recent that's anything like B&W. Certainly not Fable or Sims.
#12 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

I think there is one more game with close to the same play style. But i can't remember the name on it :(

#13 Posted by Jekken6 (2642 posts) -

OK. Blood pressure issues mean that the game shouldn't keep one's heart racing. That's why Mirror's Edge wouldn't work. Cartoony violence should not be a problem, I think. I'll need to confirm this and get back to you. Sight of blood should be fine, depending on how it's handled. Could you give me examples of some cRPGs? I'll check them out and see if she'd like them. Thanks Jekken6!varunb

Heres what i think:

Neverwinter Nights 2: It's based on D&D rules and doesn't get very tense (it's very strategy and roleplaying based.) You mostly talk to people. Violence is minimal, it just has a little blood

The Witcher: It can get kind of tense, but you can just run away from (most)combat situations and combat takes quite a bit of skill. The music gives it a kind of tense feeling, though. You also talk to people alot and the game is geared more towards adults. It has sexual themes and nudity. Violence is moderate compared to games like fallout 3, there's the occasional decapitation, throat slit, impalement and limb removal and the themes of this game are very dark. The choice system, though is not black/white decisions, though. it makes you think.

Get the Enhanced Edition for extra content and less worrying about technical issues.

Fallout 3: You talk to people quite a bit, can get tense (some missions and random encounters). As long as you don't encounter Enclave, Deathclaws much or any of the 5 super mutant behemoths, it shouldn't get too tense. The game is mostly slow paced and base around exploring. Violence is very strong and over-the-top, but kind of funny. If she doesn't like the violence, there's an .ini tweak you can do on the PC version that removes the gore.

Limb removal doesn't occur all the time, just mostly on critical hits. Just don't pick bloody mess if you don't want to see a head explode all the time.

Although, that makes the game less fun. If your sister doesn't like it, you just play it then. Also, there are black/white/neutral chices and multiple playstyles in the game with different outcomes and some that make you think. Although, the ending of the game sucks and there are expansions out for the game, so wait for the GOTY edition. Also, Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 have an excellent mod community.

Morrowind: A better RPG than Oblivion/Fallout 3, with puzzle solving and a better story, the graphics are quite dated, but that means you should run it well. The game is slow paced and rewards you for exploration. It doesn't get very tense and violence isn't very graphic, just a little cloud of red mist. It's a great game. Get GOTY edition

Fallout 1/2: They came out in the 90's and are completely different to fallout 3. Graphics are 2D, so gore isn't that graphic compared to today and really only happens on critical hits. Game is very slow paced, with an isometric view and turn based combat, so it relies on mostly strategy. Get the fallout collections pack

Portal: It's not an RPG, but it's a first person puzzle game, often described as "the thinking man's half-life". It's quite slow paced, but it's perspective altering and may cause dizzying, but that's only around test chamber 3 or 4 and speed is of the essence in some areas (but not in the same way as mirrors edge). Physical violence is mild, because the only thing you"kill" are turrets. But when the turrets shoot you, there's some bloodsplatter.

That's all i can think of for now. I'd also check out the reviews for those games on gamespot and or ign.

To see if you can run those games, go to www.canyourunit.com . You don't need it for fallout 1/2 though.

#14 Posted by sihunt (1116 posts) -
#15 Posted by -D3ATH- (615 posts) -
Dungeon Keeper 2.
#16 Posted by mr_chalupa (176 posts) -

Dungeon Keeper 2.-D3ATH-
Bloodfest though, from what i recall lol, also somewhat gritty and obscure but indeed its like it to some degree and hech a lot of fun! still waiting for the third rofl